JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Which condition of carry are you more comfortable with personally?

• Total voters
Reactions
Regarding these two conditions of carry, with which are you more comfortable? The two different conditions being a cocked & locked 1911 and a Glock with a chambered round.

I personally am comfortable with many different conditions of carry. I am comfortable with revolvers with all cylinders loaded, I am comfortable with DA semi-autos like Seecamps/Sigs, I am comfortable with LDA or "long pull SA" pistols like Kahrs and some Paras, and I am even becoming comfortable with cocked & locked 1911's...but I am just not comfortable with SA pistols that have a trigger safety as the only active safety such as Glock and a few others. I just cannot bring myself to carry them that way.

Do not get me wrong, I love my Glocks and I have no problem keeping them ready for action in my safe at work, in a fanny pack when hiking, or in my nightstand...but I just cannot bring myself to carry them daily in a standard holster. I just do not feel there is enough layers of protection there for my own persoanl peace of mind.

How about you?

What is it about the Glock or I'm guessing the XD also that you don't find safe? I'm wondering if it's the trigger safety or the hammer position that is bothering you?

I don't really like or use a safety personally.

I've recently picked up a Sig P229 DAK and a Beretta 96D DAO both with no safeties so I'm kind of curious how those would make you feel?

They are a new to me and I haven't formed an opinion yet. Police seem to put a lot of faith in the concept for what that's worth.

I thought Glocks were DAO? I've never owned one so I don't know but I've been reading about them, considering a model 27.

Please set me straight?

??

I've recently picked up a Sig P229 DAK and a Beretta 96D DAO both with no safeties so I'm kind of curious how those would make you feel?

They are a new to me and I haven't formed an opinion yet. Police seem to put a lot of faith in the concept for what that's worth.
They do not bother me at all. I am just not comfortable with very light triggers with nothing but a safety on the trigger itself.

They do not bother me at all. I am just not comfortable with very light triggers with nothing but a safety on the trigger itself.

Well the time that I am most concerned with this type setup is holstering to be honest, and I live by the mantra that you have all the time in the world to re-holster (and not shoot yourself in the leg doing so. :p)

They're kind of a hybrid since the trigger (striker) is set when you rack the slide.

This is a good example of how they work

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdBmsC4VCc&NR=1

Thanks. Now that video, just to me, makes it appear that when the trigger is pulled time after time, that the pulling of the trigger pulls the striker/firing pin back and releases it as in DAO. The striker doesn't appear to stay back ready to be tripped by the trigger like a true SA does. ??

What am I missing? ??

I'm not knocking it. The Glock just has too good of a rep to complain. I actually like the DAO if it's crisp and not too heavy. I like the safety of it. I don't cock a DA revolver between shots, and it has no other safety.

$.02

Thanks. Now that video, just to me, makes it appear that when the trigger is pulled time after time, that the pulling of the trigger pulls the striker/firing pin back and releases it as in DAO. The striker doesn't appear to stay back ready to be tripped by the trigger like a true SA does. ??

What am I missing? ??

I'm not knocking it. The Glock just has too good of a rep to complain. I actually like the DAO if it's crisp and not too heavy. I like the safety of it. I don't cock a DA revolver between shots, and it has no other safety.

$.02
The Glock has an excellent reputation for reliability and ease of use...but it also has the reputation of being involved in more ND incidents than any other gun due to the fact that it is so simple to use. It is fast to bring to bear, but it does not have much standing between it and going bang.

The Glock has an excellent reputation for reliability and ease of use...but it also has the reputation of being involved in more ND incidents than any other gun due to the fact that it is so simple to use. It is fast to bring to bear, but it does not have much standing between it and going bang.

OK, I'll bite. What's an ND incident? :huh:

Thanks. Now, that video, just to me, makes it appear that when the trigger is pulled time after time, that the pulling of the trigger pulls the striker/firing pin back and releases it as in DAO. The striker doesn't appear to stay back ready to be tripped by the trigger like a true SA does. ??

What am I missing? ??

$.02

I'm not really the best person to comment on the Glock trigger since I've never owned one. I do own an XD which is similar though your are presetting the striker partially like a single action and then partially finishing pulling the striker back with the firing trigger pull. You kind of have to see where the sticker is before a round is chambered.

This vid may show it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdBmsC4VCc&feature=related

I guess you have to ask yourself how often we civilians need to pull our weapons compared to a Police officers and the occasion where we would need to do we want anything but our finger standing in the way of firing?

I've carried a gun on and off for 20 year and luckily have never needed to pull one, I hope it stays that way too.

I'm not really the best person to comment on the Glock trigger since I've never owned one. I do own an XD which is similar though your are presetting the striker partially like a single action and then partially finishing pulling the striker back with the firing trigger pull. You kind of have to see where the sticker is before a round is chambered.

This vid may show it better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vdBmsC4VCc&feature=related

OK, yeah I see it. Thanks.

When I got my 1911 (wish I still had it) I didn't have my carry license, but I lived in the sticks so I always carried around the property, the first week or two I kept it hammer back/locked to see if any incident would come up that'd make me nervous about doing so chambered, when I saw no cause for concern, a round went in and there it stayed, never a hint of a problem. As far as carrying, I wouldn't go with an empty pipe, if I need it, I want it ready to do its job.

I do not carry my .45 cocked as this can easily be done as it is drawn from concealment. I always carry it chambered as did with my Sigma (same as Glock)when I carried that. I have been carrying for a long time and have never had an issue with either. Just remember to practice practice practice your concealment draw it may make you feel like a little kid playing cowby quick draw but it is good to be prepared.

I guess it's all how competent a person feels driving different vehicles. Some guys have the abilty to drive anything and some guys just haven't driven enough. Not a slam, it just takes handleing something enough to feel competent to carry it. There are alot of guns out there an so little time and money to learn to use them all.

jj

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top