Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

COBRAY M-11 HELP

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by james83, Dec 11, 2011.

1. james83

james83 beaverton oregon I'am feeling fat and sassy

Hi everyone i was at the pawn shop today looking at guns and i found a cobray m-11
    at a relativly fair price, i decided to buy it just for fun, but i have come across a problem and was looking for some help. I dont know much about these type of pistols but i always inspect any guns i own before live firing them, the action appears to function correctly while dry-firing, but i have noticed there is a part missing from this gun, I have not been able to find much infomation about these M-11's online but i have managed to find a picture of the part that is missing from my pistol.

Mac11Cobray.jpg

I dont know what the part is called, At a guess i would call it a washer, its the semi-circle thingy that holds the pin through the frame, i belive this pin holds the hammer in place?

Anyone have an idea where i can buy one of these washers? i checked the cobray website or the company that sells parts under the cobray name and they do not sell them, Is this washer the type of thing i could buy at a hardware store?

All help would be great

Thanks -james

2. Capn Jack

Capn Jack Wet-Stern Washington Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Take the gun (in a case or box) down to your local hardware, or automotive machine shop and tell them you need a "snap ring". Tell them what it's for, but don't open the case until you tell them what's inside. You don't want some clerk fainting ,or calling the cops on you.:paranoid:

Safest proceedure....:thumbup: Sorry, it's the world we live in.;)

Jack...:cool:

3. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Called an E=clip.

You can get an assorted box for about $5 at the hardware store.

Or check with these guys, Cobray Company LLC

4. cyclesurvival

cyclesurvival Vancouver Well-Known Member

$5 at harbor frieght for a large assortment

5. Bodyguard

Bodyguard Portland Member 2016 Volunteer

Try Ace Hardware. They have a large selection of e-clips. You could also go with an snap wring. IMO snap rings are a better option than e-clips.

6. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The E-Clip might be metric or standard size. If you have the pin, just take that in for a proper fitting replacement e-clip. The wrong one will just pop off again.
    It should snap tight around the slot, but still be able to rotate around the pin.
    A snap ring takes a special tool and will mar your gun.

7. 22many

22many PNW Well-Known Member

Honestly, for piece of mind I would put a snap ring on it if it were mine.

8. james83

Thanks to everybody for the help, i got a few different e-clips today and found one that fits, seems to hold the hammer pin in place just fine, got a few spares in the correct size too as i wondering if the e-clips falling off during firing is a common problem, guess i'll just run some rounds through the pistol and see how it holds up.

On a sidenote i was wondering what the best method is for removing light surface rust, the cobray m-11 i have has light surface rust on a couple of place on the grip and a spot or two in the magwell, overall the gun is in fair condition but i would like too remove the rust

Thanks-james

9. jbett98

jbett98 NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

There is a company called "Kano Laboratories" and they make a spray product called "Aerokroil" "The oil that creeps" You can order direct from them. Just spray some on the rusty areas wait a minute and then use a bronze brush. To order direct from them call (866-487-7245) I think Winks Hardware store sells it too.

10. halmbarte

halmbarte PDX Active Member

Gun oil and a soft brush should take off most rust. If the rust is deeper you can use very fine steel wool.

H

11. james83

Well i got all the light surface rust cleaned off the gun, just used a little gun oil and solvent, the rust was just on the grip and magwell, my pistol came with three 32rnd mags and a fake surpressor (still aint cleaned them yet).

Guess its time to go run a few rounds through the pistol, hopefully this weekend or maybe next. I aint expecting any amount of accuracy from the gun but i just hope its fun too shoot. I always wanted to own a m-11 for a while.

Thanks for all the helpful info

-james