JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Well, here it is the middle of 1st Elk season, and I here I sit in the kitchen sipping coffee and typing on the forum.
Since I live in Waldport, and often work in the woods, I get a pretty good exposure to the Elk all year. This year I picked four likely spots and walked them out pre-season. One seemed really likely to produce, a low ridge with a lot of N facing gullies and canyons, and a game trail like a sidewalk. Scrapes, scat, prints, broken ferns, the whole deal. No ribbons or flagging, no boot prints.
I didn't see many elk on the river flats and down close to the beach (the kids and I have found elk prints on the sand a few times) in the days preceeding the hunt, so I figured they must have moved into the gullies and the dark timbered ridges.
I got up at 5am Saturday, and the pressure was't as high as I feared, but there were still a lot of trucks in the woods. Fortunately, I had located the ridge I wanted with GPS, and the launchpoint looked like a random spot on the road, so no one was there. I put in 24 walking/glassing hours in the last 48 hours, and man am I beat. I didn't see any animals, except a little doe I jumped. I saw several hunters, I am surprised how few guys wear orange. By that I mean, of the four hunters I saw or glassed with my binoculars, I was the only one wearing orange. I saw where somebody chased elk perpendicular to my ridge. It looked like somebody drove a roto-tiller out of a gully, across the ridge I was on, and down the other side. The hunter had flagged pink ribbons every hundred feet or so... I wonder if he got one?
Most of the trucks were parked at the heads of gullies and canyons to N and S of my ridge, I really thought somebody might push an animal up to me, but no luck. I figured with those guys beating the bottomland, and me being quiet and slow, I could just still hunt the ridge... both nights I came out of the woods wearing my headlamp, empty handed, and all the other rigs were gone.
My back and shoulders are sore, and I'm definitely tired. I think today I am going to change it up, and just drive to every landing and cut where I've ever seen elk and glass for a while, and just do short walks of a mile or so. That, coupled with the late start today, should give me a chance to rest up a bit, and then I will try one of the other areas I looked at tomorrow. The weather is calling for heavy rains and gusts up to 40mph, sustained winds, makes using binoculars a drag.
I'll let you know how it goes.

First day conditions were ideal...1.5 inches snow,still, little moon. Saw elk and had one shot opportunity at 4pt at 300yds but another guy a couple hundred yards from me opened up first. I will not join in on an event like that unless it is someone in my party. I watched through my scope(at the elk of course) and this guy shot 4 times or more and I saw no indication of hits on the animal. If the animal was hit I planned to shoot to prevent a wounded animal. Hunter ethics comes in to play and many have their own ideas regarding this. It ruins a hunt if an animal is wounded and not found (for me) I had a dead solid rest and no wind, so would have taken the shot. I know the gun at that range even the extreme downhill angle (shoot lower) so all in all I cannot complain....great day......then the soaking.........

yeah i noticed alot of road hunters too, I never came across anyone else while i was beating brush tho. I only saw a Spike and a Cow. ODFW must have split the herds up big time before the season opened up. The herd that was out by my folks place got chased out by a bunch of kids on quads:angry:

ok so heres the pics. 6x6 , 74" long and 42" wide

elk 05.jpg

I got out with my Dad for nine of the eleven days of modern season (season ended tuesday). My Dad filled his special draw cow tag on Monday, and we saw very little all week. We say a big two point blacktail with a doe one day, and a coyote. There was a lot fewer trucks out than I remember in past years. The herd we say on Monday had about a dozen elk total, with two spikes, and the rest were cows. We took the quarters out on Monday, and went back for the rest on Tuesday. I packed out both hind quarters (in two trips) on a pack frame, and it was over a mile back to the truck with a steep climb out of the valley. I made three round trips total, one for each hind quarter and one to take rifles/random gear back and get the pack frame. I'm still pretty sore from that.

I got out with my Dad for nine of the eleven days of modern season (season ended tuesday). My Dad filled his special draw cow tag on Monday, and we saw very little all week. We say a big two point blacktail with a doe one day, and a coyote. There was a lot fewer trucks out than I remember in past years. The herd we say on Monday had about a dozen elk total, with two spikes, and the rest were cows. We took the quarters out on Monday, and went back for the rest on Tuesday. I packed out both hind quarters (in two trips) on a pack frame, and it was over a mile back to the truck with a steep climb out of the valley. I made three round trips total, one for each hind quarter and one to take rifles/random gear back and get the pack frame. I'm still pretty sore from that.

Well, congrads :)

I think that the requirement of hard work is one of the greatest parts of Elk hunting. The shooting is the easiest part :)

My gang was all Hood-to-Coast runners that work out through the winter... and we were all crushed after our elk season this go-round too... and we didnt get to haul anything out.

Well, congrads :)

I think that the requirement of hard work is one of the greatest parts of Elk hunting. The shooting is the easiest part :)

My gang was all Hood-to-Coast runners that work out through the winter... and we were all crushed after our elk season this go-round too... and we didnt get to haul anything out.

We were walking 8-10 miles a day before he shot his elk, so were both kind of sore already. The shot itself was actually pretty long. She was standing broadside on the opposite side of the valley, and the wind and rain were both pretty hard. The first shot hit her in the front shoulder, and she turned towards us and came closer. She turned broadside again, and he hit her in the shoulder again. She went down, and rolled down the hill a little ways. After the shot, we laser ranged it at 245 yards to where she went down, and we estimated the initial shot at about 270-275 yards (off a tree stump/pack dead rest). I was impressed.

Bwells, way to go! Sounds like it was a rough season for many coast elk hunters. Most people I know went empty handed. Enjoy some backstrap and a cold beer!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top