Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Coastal Elk first season

Discussion in 'Northwest Hunting' started by MilitaryMan84, Nov 6, 2009.

1. MilitaryMan84

MilitaryMan84 Mcminnvile, Oregon Member

I am frickin Stoked! I am hungry to get a nice Bull this year! I have gone Elk hunting plenty of times but have had no luck, Maybe I'll get lucky this season.
    I am keeping my fingers crossed that it wwon't be as bad as Deer season with hunters everywhere.

2. Visceral

Visceral Portland, OR Member

Just went scouting in Siuslaw, but didnt see a single elk, and very little sign. *shrug* I hope its a decent year too.

3. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

There's a herd of elk (about 50-60 altogether) that live near my house. A couple of bull are 5 points. A couple of 3 & 4 point and a few spikes. I didn't draw a saddle mt tag which I'm kicking myself for. These things walk right through the wetlands of my back yard. I don't know if I'd shoot one there though. I've got neighbors on both sides within 20' of my house. Not sure that would be a smart move or not.

4. Blov

Blov Oregon Central Coast Member

I'm not sure if you can hunt there but there are many Elk out North Fork road.

5. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

There are no elk in the coast range, better off to just stay home and avoid the wind, rain and salmonberry. Trust me, I'm doing you a favor talking you out of it..... Ha ha

6. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

We have deer and wild turkeys on our property almost every day. I've posted before that I could never shoot one because we enjoy them too much. I could tag out every year just shooting out a window.

I have to find other places to hunt.

7. chiefchip

chiefchip Rainier, Oregon Member

I vote we meet at Eriks on opening day.

8. varmiter

varmiter orchards wa. Member

I hope you have better luck than I have had this year in all honesty.Good luck and more power to you.

9. MilitaryMan84

Tonight on the way home from my parent ranch we had 26 Elk cross the road about 30 yards away from our car. There was 2 bulls in the bunch, one was a 4x5 and the other was a 3x3. I hope they stick around for another week!

10. Blov

Blov Oregon Central Coast Member

Their there, I counted 38 one time 43 another.

11. Sawdust

Sawdust Bull Mountain(Tigard), OR Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Now would one of you kind gentlemen pleeeeaaassse point me in the right direction. I do not want to go home empty handed again. :)

12. eriknemily

eriknemily Tillamook County (Cheese!) Member

Well, everything west of the Nehalem River is in the Saddle Mt. unit. Next year I will put in for the saddle unit. With that draw you're almost guaranteed to get your tag. I think last year there were fewer applicants than available tags. You do have to get a 3pt or better though.

13. Visceral

Im ready to head out super early Saturday into Siuslaw. Our plan is to drive a couple roads in the dark and track anything we see. We probably wont see anything so we will drive to a higher altitude at the end of a valley and wait up the hill for the first pressure of the morning to push something our way.

Siuslaw is a crazy combination of brush, trees, and roads. There's a lot of brush in there that you cant walk 100ft through, and then there are newer planted areas that have lots of travel room underneath. I'm going to try and rove through the latter, but I'm taking a wild guess at it.

If anyone has Siuslaw hunting experience, please let me know what might work...

Thanks,
    Chris

14. SJS46

SJS46 yamhill county Active Member

Soooooooooo where abouts were those elk?:D

15. MilitaryMan84

They are still around my parents place:p got a better look at them yesterdays, there are 3 branch bulls and 2 spikes. The only problem is there are ALOT of people watching those elk:(

16. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

I just might have to put a gps tracking device on your truck.

17. 284guy

284guy Woodburn Member

Well my season ended awesome. Hiked about 12 miles then on way back to the truck 100 yds from the landing a big 6x6 casually walked out. Boom, flop, dinner! I have to finish packing him out in the morning but no complaints. I'll post pics when I get home.

18. Visceral

Nice work! Where did you go??? We spent two days in Siuslaw and only saw one herd on a farmers field (private property)...

Got a good workout though. :(

19. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

ya buddy

20. Visceral

double post...