JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello,

I just bought said rifle today. I was wondering if anyone had any info on it, as well as where I could get a replacement stock? I know it's based on a Mauser action, that's about it.

Thanks.

After a ton of research I have found that these rifles are the same as the J. C. Higgins 50 & 51. They use an FN Mauser action. Although, rather peculiarly, mine still has feed lips for a stripper clip, and the thumb cutout for said clip.

After a ton of research I have found that these rifles are the same as the J. C. Higgins 50 & 51. They use an FN Mauser action. Although, rather peculiarly, mine still has feed lips for a stripper clip, and the thumb cutout for said clip.

Since it was made from a surplus rifle how would it not have the thumb relief? You can grind out the stripper lips but they wouldn't weld a piece into the thumb relief that would weeken the receiever.

Y'know, there's a helluva lot of guys on this website (and elsewhere) that go out and buy guns (some of them brand-spanking new) that are not nearly the quality, integrity and durability of a good military mauser conversion gun (offered for commercial sale) that was so prevalent in the 50's, 60's, and even to the '70's.

Yew dun goooood.

We need pictures!!! We want pictures!!!:s0122:

I'll put up a pic once I get the new stock on. The stock that it came with was cracked, so I am replacing it with a sporterized and refinished Mauser 98 stock. Just waiting for it to get here. It's a bunch of parts right now. It came with a really cool Bushnell Banner 3x9x40 scope, the kind with a window on the back of the upper knob that lists yards. And some nice Williams iron sights with all manner of adjustments.

PICT0144.jpg

Here she is. The stock was a bugger, thankfully my dad gave me a hand. The scope on it is awesome. Found an article about it in a Field & Stream issue from 1975. Haven't had a chance to shoot it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it.

PICT0144.jpg

Not bad at all. I think when you start shooting it, you may find it shoots well enough to even improve its accoutrements even more. I gather you are operating on a limited budget, and with that, you have done well. The BDC Banner scope will suffice to allow you to explore accuracy, but do not become too attracted and wrapped up in twisting the dials. Were it my gun, I would begin saving for an upgrade in the optics, and explore Boyd's for a bit spiffier stock. The good thing about a Mauser conversion, is that "Barbie Doll" add-ons are limitless and relatively economical. The sky is the limit.

Oh, and I want my kitchen chair back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads