JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Colorado Dem to Rape Survivor at Gun Hearing: 'Statistics Aren't On Your Side'
Fire it up 32

During a Monday legislative hearing concerning Colorado’s proposed ban on concealed firearms on college campuses, rape survivor Amanda Collins shared her story of survival and how she wished she would’ve had a firearm to defend herself.

Democrat Senator Evie Hudak had this to say:

“I just want to say, statistics are not on your side, even if you had had a gun. You said that you were a martial arts student, I mean person, experience in taekwondo, and yet because this individual was so large and was able to overcome you even with your skills, and chances are that if you had had a gun, then he would have been able to get than from you and possibly use it against you …”

“Respectfully senator, you weren’t there,” Collins responded. “Had I been carrying concealed, he wouldn’t have known I had my weapon; and I was there. I know without a doubt in my mind at some point I would’ve been able to stop my attack by using my firearm.”

State Senator Evie Hudak (D- Westminster): I just want to that say – actually statistics are not on your side, even if you had had a gun. You said that you were a martial arts student, I mean person, experience in taekwondo, and yet because this individual was so large and was able to overcome you, even with your skills, and chances are that if you had had a gun, then he would have been able to get than from you and possibly use it against you and the Colorado Collation Against Gun Violence says that for every one woman who used a handgun to kill someone in self defense, 83 were murdered by them.

Amanda Collins: Respectfully, Senator, you weren’t there and you’re right my parents equipped me to insure that I would not be an easy victim – and that I would not be an easy target – they did everything they could to reduce the risk of me being raped and that’s all it did, it reduced the risk, it did not guarantee that. Furthermore, had I been concealed, had I been carrying concealed, he wouldn’t had known I had my weapon – and I was there, I know without a doubt in my mind at some point I would’ve been able to stop my attack by using my firearm. He already had a weapon of his own, he didn’t need mine.

I find the stats odd on this one. The idiot sites a stat that "for every woman who used a gun to kill someone in self defense, 83 women were murdered by them". This is stupid and doesn't support the previous statement that the crook would have taken your gun away and used it on you.

The stats don't show how many women used a gun to prevent an action/crime (without killing someone), they don't account for how many woman had a gun taken way from them and used against them (as implied by the elected idiot) and there's no reference to what the stat is derived from (total woman killed by guns in all circumstances, total number of woman killing someone with a gun [murder, suicide, self defense], number of monkeys that pay football, average number of chickens that play the oboe, etc.).

I love how the Anti's can make up their own stats at will but when accurate research shows that nearly 1 million crimes are stopped or prevented each year by law abiding citizens having a gun, that is blown off as crazy talk.

This woman deserves a medal for showing up and putting up with the idiots that think they know what's best for her and everybody else. How elitist do you have to be to sit there and tell this woman that she is ill informed on the "statistics" when she is a survivor? Good for her for standing her ground!

Hoplophobes project.. they imagine how they would perform in such situations, and the assume everyone else will perform the same

That and as my gal says tyrants are afraid of armed peasants

I find the stats odd on this one. The idiot sites a stat that "for every woman who used a gun to kill someone in self defense, 83 women were murdered by them". This is stupid and doesn't support the previous statement that the crook would have taken your gun away and used it on you.

"In 1998, for every time a woman used a handgun to kill an intimate acquaintance in self-defense, 83 woman were murdered by an intimate acquaintance with a handgun."
VPC - A Deadly Myth: Women, Handguns, and Self-Defense

Its a badly used quote. Sure for everyone that kills an attacker with a gun 83 more are killed by guns. Most women do not carry guns, let alone kill people with them. The goal is to make the bad guy go away not kill him. It says nothing about guns being used against there owners.

If we are playing the magic stat with 83 in it game, lets try these.
"For violent crimes, assault, robbery, and rape, guns were used 0.83% of the time in self-defense"
"In short, the majority of rapes occur where a woman may legally have a gun and the empirical evidence is that in 83% of the cases it will protect her from being raped." from How Well Does the Handgun Protect You and Your Family? by M. Yeager

that is a terrible report, i hope nobody believes the cherry picked numbers on those tables. when you go that far to make a point, isnt it the same as lying out right?

Dial 911 and Die

For every bad guy shot by a citizen, thousands are warded away by the drawn defenders gun, Been there and done that, and my gal has as well

Mark Twain said there are lies and then there are da#n statistics

We should have dumped those 2000 illegal (many I am sure were sex offenders and rapist)
in Democrat Senator Evie Hudak block just pull a bunch buses up and dump em on her door
step and take away her gun and see how that goes for her.
I hope they vote her out for her statement, gun control or not this is unacceptable from a public servant.

Maybe a good idea to give any and all people they release, [illegal aliens ] the offending senators house address and phone # in case they need ''help'' in the future. Making HER responsible for their ''well being''

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top