JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Colorado only recognizes state permits where you are a resident.
But not Oregon.
If you are a UT resident, then UT is good. As an Oregon resident UT is no help.

The way I am reading Handgunlaw.us on CO, a non-resident needs a reason to be issued a permit.
Anyone know what good reasons are?

"Colorado law states only "Residents" but with this on the application it may be possible if you own a business or property and can give a good reason for a CO permit they may issue you one."

My friend is Going to be in their state all summer - not trying to establish residency.
Retired military.

TIA

CRS 18-12-203 states no such exception. In fact they even say this in the annotations:
"ANNOTATION
Limiting issuance of concealed handgun permits to only state residents does not violate the second amendment
or the privileges and immunities clause of article IV of the U.S. constitution.The second amendment does not confer
a right to carry concealed weapons, and carrying a concealed weapon is not a privilege or immunity protected under
article IV. Peterson v. Martinez, 707 F.3d 1197 (10th Cir. 2013)."

Link to Colorado Bureau of Investigations:

All you seek can be found in the above link.

What is below is on Handgunlaw.us. Seeing this post I checked and the ** definition has been been removed from the Application. There is still a ** next to "County of Residence ________" question on the Application but no explanation on what that means now. That Note will be removed now that I see the App has been updated and that removed.

Note: On the Application that all the Sheriff's in Colorado will accept there is an ** on the block that wants this info: **Colorado County of Residence. At the bottom of the fill in part the ** has this out from it: **If not a Colorado resident, please explain in a separate attachment why you need a permit and identify any property or business you own in Colorado.

What is below is on Handgunlaw.us. Seeing this post I checked and the ** definition has been been removed from the Application. There is still a ** next to "County of Residence ________" question on the Application but no explanation on what that means now. That Note will be removed now that I see the App has been updated and that removed.

Note: On the Application that all the Sheriff's in Colorado will accept there is an ** on the block that wants this info: **Colorado County of Residence. At the bottom of the fill in part the ** has this out from it: **If not a Colorado resident, please explain in a separate attachment why you need a permit and identify any property or business you own in Colorado.
Welcome to NWFA, Gary! Everybody, Gary runs Handgunlaw.us and was one of the key players who kept the old Packing.org running back when I was in college, so we're talking a 20-year record of SME in this area.

Basically CO is trying to say "if you're from out of state Eff You" and make it open season on outsiders for their criminal elements; after all nobody cares what happens to some schlub passing through from Peoria.

Basically CO is trying to say "if you're from out of state Eff You" and make it open season on outsiders for their criminal elements; after all nobody cares what happens to some schlub passing through from Peoria.

CO is one of those states were many have Summer/Winter cabins.
Lots of visitors coming for the season.

How many Hollywood associates have a spot in Aspen or Vale?

I agree with the sentiment - no one is on your side if you are passing thru
- the reason speed trap towns exist.
And @ 2:20+

I'll start by saying we should just be able to carry but Colorado compared with some others states is not bad for reciprocity. They accept permits from 33 states with their main requirement that your home state where you have a permit accepts Colorado's permit. So Oregon and Cali are automatically out, not accepting any others.

When you think about it, the head scratcher is Oregon. The bar to obtain a permit in Oregon is so low a snake can crawl over it. Why do we not accept other states' permits? (Rhetorical with the answer being politics.) Cali at least has the excuse that their bar is pretty high (required to qualify with the guns you carry, instructors have to submit curriculum, etc.). Again, not saying this is fair, just or 2A, but at least they can argue some intellectual honesty.

I screwed up. I thought I posted a reply to my post stating I was wrong but don't see that post. I went back and looked and CO has not removed the ** in front of the question what county do you reside in but they did remove the Definition of those ** at the bottom of the Application. I think they saw their error and deleted the definition of those two **. I am not sure when they removed it. Sorry about that. Updating the CO page to show that. https://www.coloradosheriffs.org/assets/docs/CSOC-AP-FOR-CHP.pdf

Last Edited:
I screwed up. I thought I posted a reply to my post stating I was wrong but don't see that post. I went back and looked and CO has not removed the ** in front of the question what county do you reside in but they did remove the Definition of those ** at the bottom of the Application. I think they saw their error and deleted the definition of those two **. I am not sure when they removed it. Sorry about that. Updating the CO page to show that. https://www.coloradosheriffs.org/assets/docs/CSOC-AP-FOR-CHP.pdf
Thanks for letting us know, Gary.

I found a Colorado Application from the Arapahoe County Sheriff that has the ** and the definition is still there on the form and states:
** If not a Colorado resident, please explain in a separate attachment why you need a permit and identify any property or
business you own in Colorado.

You can access the form at
it is dated 8/29/19.

Another Sheriff dated 2013 https://www.bacacountyco.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/Concealed-Handgun-Permit.pdf

Most states Firearms Units will just tell you to read their website! Some will say contact an attorney. Just about everyone will tell you they are not allowed to give legal advice. Only way to really find out is get a member of the State Senate, House, County District Attorney or Sheriff to send a Question to the AG. It will take one of them to ask the question as no AG will give an Opinion on a Citizens Question. Since I found those two and didn't have to look to hard to find them I would say if you own property or a business in a Colorado County to talk to the Sheriff. Sheriffs have a lot of authority. New York Law says residents only but when a Newspaper in NY printed all the address of permit holders in the surrounding counties where the paper was published there were all kinds of out of state addresses for permit holders those counties issued to.

I live in WA and do business in Denver all the time, and the best I could figure is there is no way I can legally carry in CO as long as I'm a WA resident, even though I hold a Utah CPL that CO does recognize for Utah residents. CO doesn't recognize non-resident permits.

If you figure out a way to get a non-resident permit in CO or other work around, please let us know.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top