Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CNN Article: Gun Control is Not the Answer

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by fyrediver, Sep 18, 2013.

1. fyrediver

fyrediver Seattle Active Member

2. Both Eyes Open

Both Eyes Open Hood Canal Active Member

Good article, thanks for posting!

3. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

Coming from cnn That sound like it was written on April 1st. Couldn't believe what I was reading.

4. Liberty97045

Liberty97045 Oregon City Well-Known Member

I watched a great interview on Fox with Col Oliver North who made the point that the shooter might not have been able to continue as long as he did had it not been a gun free zone.
    I did not know but then president Bill Clinton made military bases "gun free zones" by executive order.

5. Morpheus

Morpheus Columbia Gorge Anyway, back on the farm.

This is a really well written editorial position. He critiques both sides who are just yelling back and forth with acquisitions and not addressing the overall problem with the person responsible.

I wonder if CNN will fire him for not following the party line...

6. RicInOR

RicInOR Washington County Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

The military base restriction on firearms was courtesy of George Bush. HW. Clinton did make some modifications; but the ban wasn't lifted by George Bush, W, either.

Bi-Partisan anti- trust of our military members.

I would think that soldiers, sailors, air men and marines, (and coasties) who have a pistol qualification badge, could be trusted with their personal weapons on base, off duty.

gun-sign-NHE-16347_300.gif

And those who are pulling duty with a weapon should have access to the ammo for the weapon.

gun-sign-NHE-16347_300.gif

Brutus57 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. markpeters1970

markpeters1970 PNW Active Member

LZ is about as flaming as it gets for liberals. I was impressed to see this out of him. While there is truth that a majority of control talk comes from the left, its a good reminder that there are those on the left that see the real reason for violence and who understand that we are not all bad guys with guns.

8. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I don't know the extent of the Clinton or Bush 41 'gun free zone' EOs, but we couldn't have personal weapons on base even back in the early 80s unless they were stored at the armory and we certainly couldn't walk around with firearms unless we were on actual guard duty with issued weapons. I'm also sure this restriction extended much farther back than when I was in.

Keith

9. oknow

oknow amboy wa. Well-Known Member

personel guns were allowed in base housing in 85 when I got out.

10. trainsktg

trainsktg Portland OR Well-Known Member

I hadn't considered base housing, but definitely not in the barracks where a majority lived.

Keith

11. RedRiderRepeatingBBGun

RedRiderRepeatingBBGun PNW Member

Can't believe I've never seen this, I will be making and posting copies wherever allowed and appropriate. If I lived closer to Parkrose Hardware I'd give them a copy .... ;-)

12. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I got out of the USMC in 1988 and it never occurred to me that I couldn't have my guns so I never asked, and nobody seemed to mind. Boy how times change.

13. Brutus57

Brutus57 Skagit County Well-Known Member

Same here in 83, we just had to fill out a form with the weapon data for the base cops.

Brutus Out

14. Trick

Trick St Helens Active Member

That article mostly made sense to me....shocking.

15. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

Here's a similar one from Politico:

Opinion: The impossibility of gun control - Rich Lowry - POLITICO.com

Best quote:

Maybe, just maybe, this time we can have a real debate about mental illness. To this point, we’ve had a simplistically instrumental focus. It’s like seeing a mad man wearing a tinfoil hat to protect himself from radio waves and thinking, “That’s a shame, if only we could ban tinfoil.”

16. meener777

meener777 King County Active Member

This part got me, because he seems to miss the fallacy in this pro-gun control "factoid":
    "This conundrum is just one example why making note that more Americans have died from gun violence here at home since Newtown than in the nine years fighting a war in Iraq is the kind of factoid that grabs our attention but undermines the true goal: curtailing the violence."

The fallacy is that there are vastly more people in the US than the number of troops at war. In order to compare these numbers of fatalities, we must at the very least divide by the population size. Lots of people who quote numbers about gun homicides fail to consider this. ( *ahem Pierce Morgan* )