JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/01/us/new-mexico-motel-shooting/index.html

(CNN)A former CNN reporter was wounded three times Tuesday night during a deadly shootout with a man who allegedly tried to rob him and his wife in a New Mexico motel room.

Chuck de Caro and his wife, former Headline News anchor and CNN correspondent Lynne Russell, were on a road trip and spending the night at an Albuquerque motel when de Caro killed the man during what Russell called an attempted robbery.

Albuquerque police said they have yet to question de Caro, who had surgery for his wounds.

Officer Fred Duran said no charges were expected to be filed against de Caro. Russell said her husband fired in self-defense.

"I am really proud of him," Russell said. "I thank him over and over for saving my life. He really is my hero."

Russell said a gunman came into their Motel 6 room through the open door after she had just returned from getting something out of the car. The man pushed her into the room.

De Caro, who worked at CNN in the mid-1980s as special assignments correspondent, was coming out of the bathroom after taking a shower and saw Russell being held at gunpoint.

"He tried to change the guy's mind," Russell said.

The gunman wanted money and other valuables, she said.

She told the gunman she would look in her purse to see what they had. She reached down and put one of the two handguns the couple had in a side table into the purse. She gave the handbag to her husband.

Russell said the guns were legal, something police are still investigating.

The man's behavior was increasingly erratic, Russell said. He told them to get a briefcase he saw.

The couple explained there was nothing of value in the bag, but the man lunged at them and "went around the bed and then opened fire on Chuck. There was a firefight inside the room."

De Caro was shot once in the leg and twice in the abdomen.

He fired all the rounds in the first handgun then picked up the other and shot the man. The man, who police identified in a news release as the "offender in the altercation," was found in the parking lot. He died at a hospital, CNN affiliate KOAT reported.

Russell, who worked for Headline News (now HLN) from 1983 to 2001, said the couple was heading to California and, after stopping in Albuquerque to have dinner with friends, they decided to get a motel room. They chose Motel 6 because it allows dogs, she said.

CNN may have a hard time explaining how this fits into their Anti-Gun agenda.

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realize how much CNN had 'sanitized' this story when I posted the link. The first report I read from another source wasn't chock full of attempts to cast doubt and blame on the victims. Sickening to see how far these MSM hacks will go to further their narrative, even at the expense of former colleagues.

I didn't realize how much CNN had 'sanitized' this story when I posted the link. The first report I read from another source wasn't chock full of attempts to cast doubt and blame on the victims. Sickening to see how far these MSM hacks will go to further their narrative, even at the expense of former colleagues.

MSM?

Lynne Russell, the former anchor of CNN Headline News, and her husband were involved in a deadly shootout when the couple fought off a robber late Tuesday night in Albequerque, New Mexico.

Russell's husband, Chuck De Caro–a former CNN correspondent–was said to have been shot three times, but is expected to survive, according to CNN.

Russell told the New York Post she was grabbed by a man with a gun outside their motel near her car and forced back into the room.

"I opened the door and he materialized out of nowhere; he was inside," she said. "And he pushed me into the room and onto the bed and closed the door."

De Caro emerged naked from the shower and quickly grabbed his own gun. She said the suspect shot first and her husband returned fire, killing the man.

"We tried to calm the man, ask him not to point the gun because we really couldn't think what we could give him," Russell said. "It felt to me he was used to doing this, that whatever happened wouldn't bother him."

She added: "It was a gun battle, and Chuck was bleeding heavily, but he didn't stop firing because the man was firing on him, and he was looking for me."

Russell worked at CNN Headline News from 1983 to 2001.

For contrast, here's the first report I read. Note the differences in how the scene is described, as well as the actions of the perp.

The CNN report tries to cast doubt about whether it was a robbery, about the firearms being legal, about the wifes 'version' of the story and even about the effectiveness of using a firearm for self defense by noting that he had to switch to a second gun when the first had failed to stop the attacker.

Straight up editorial being passed off as news.

Last Edited:
For contrast, here's the first report I read. Note the differences in how the scene is described, as well as the actions of the perp.

The CNN report tries to cast doubt about whether it was a robbery, about the firearms being legal, about the wifes 'version' of the story and even about the effectiveness of using a firearm for self defense by noting that he had to switch to a second gun when the first had failed to stop the attacker.

Straight up editorial being passed off as news.

What I want to know, the guy entered the room naked from the shower and grabbed his gun? What? He carries in the shower?

What I want to know, the guy entered the room naked from the shower and grabbed his gun? What? He carries in the shower?

Lynne (the Wife) placed one of their handguns into her purse, then handed it off to Chuck (the Husband) as they were trying to calm down (read, gain tactical advantage) on the perp. When it became clear things were headed South, Chuck opened up.. and kept in the fight even after taking 1 in the leg and 2 in the abdomen. Proving the only excuse to stop fighting is if you're dead.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top