JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello All, I just finished watching the CNBC show regarding the Remington 700 rifle misfire issue and was curious what people think. It seemed like a fairly balanced discussion of the problems with the rifle misfiring and the injuries and deaths resulting from the problem. While it is the ultimate responsibility of everyone to handle a firearm properly and safely, we do rely on the equipment to function properly and to be designed well enough to prevent accidental misfiring. I don't own or have ever owned a Remington 700, and this is the first I have heard of this problem, but it does seem like Remington did not take responsibility for the flawed trigger design, and kicked the can further down the road, which unfortunately seems to be standard business practice these days for every company, resulting in unnecessary and preventable deaths. The show stated that they could have redesigned the trigger mechanism on all new rifles years ago for an additional 6 cents that would have made the trigger reliable and safe, and didn't. Meanwhile they have paid out 10's of millions in settlements to families of people injured and killed by rifles misfiring when the bolt was closed and the safety off, no finger on the trigger. I will defiantly inspect my deer rifle more closely from now on.

On a side note, I find the timing of the airing of this episode, combined with some recent articles on the buyout of Remington by Cerberus capital investing group, to be more than coincidental, and wonder what the motives are behind the scenes.

I'm curious what others think after they watch the episode. Be well.

My wife's family have been using Remington model 700 from the early 50,s to present and have never had any problems. And that includes newer models. I have never heard of anyone who has had problems. Same goes for the Winchester model 70's

I know someone with a model 700 with the safety problem described. Thumb the safety off and the gun could discharge. Happened twice and one time the guy's thumb had a chunk of skin and meat peeled off by the safety lever as a result. It was a 7mm Mag so that was quite the surprise. They were smart enough not to be pointing the rifle at someone when they did this. And no, they had not modified the trigger in any way.

I've not seen the show, so don't know exactly how the problem was portrayed, but it was a problem.

The show is mostly crap, the facts are mostly distorted and the "sercret employee" actualyl worked at a Remingotn ammo factory in Arkansas if I am not mistaken. Every accident described in the show was tragic because the idiot with the gun was pointing the gun at a person, plain and simple.

If you want to avoid accidents with firearms, keep your booger pickers off the trigger and point the boomstick in a safe direction when unloading. Lawyers will say or do anything for money and find fault in any product, even something as simple as a rock.

This show is run constantly, at least once a week. I believe it is also run on CRNT TV (Al Gore's cable channel which runs anti-gun documentarys that "Prove that US Conservatives are running guns all the way to Argentina (and Mexico) In fact they even have a BATF Regional Director standing before a room full of "captured guns" swearing that all those guns were seized from American Gun Runners [he was not laughing when he said it, but he should have been).

The boy getting "accidentally" shot by his mother while unloading a so-called "malfunctioning" Remington 700 is tragic. More tragic is the inability of the mother to admit her own fault in the accident. More tragic still is we have so many bloodsucking attorney's and liberal media out there willing and able to spin the information and take advantage of a bad situation.

I know someone with a model 700 with the safety problem described. Thumb the safety off and the gun could discharge. Happened twice and one time the guy's thumb had a chunk of skin and meat peeled off by the safety lever as a result. It was a 7mm Mag so that was quite the surprise. They were smart enough not to be pointing the rifle at someone when they did this. And no, they had not modified the trigger in any way.

I've not seen the show, so don't know exactly how the problem was portrayed, but it was a problem.

I have seen other guns do that..

I doubt that the Rem 700 has a trigger probem. I think there are some people with a finger poken in the trigger guard area problem.

I have owned a Rem 700 BDL since I purchased it new in 1964. It has a very crisp light trigger. Absolutely no creep and a very sharp break. Absolutely perfect for bench rest and hunting. Never, ever, had an accidental discharge. If you keep your finger off the trigger until you are actually ready to shoot...guess what, it doesn't go boom.

I can understand that people that expect some trigger movement may be surprised by the 700, but that is the way it is built. No Creep, at all. You never feel the trigger move. It is: squeeze....boom.

I went through a military course in which we qualified on the M24. Probably the worst sin in the course was an accidental discharge. It would result in an immediate smoke session, followed by dismissal from the course.

On the second day at the known distance range, one of the students accidentally discharged his weapon. Of course every instructor within a seven mile radius commenced to crawling up this dude's posterior. Turns out, it really was a faulty trigger, and the instructors were able to replicate the event. The sequence of events which must occur is the safety must be partially but not completely engaged, the trigger must be pulled, and then the safety must be fully disengaged, at which time the rifle will fire whether your finger is on the trigger or not. Easy for this sequence to occur at a military range. However, iirc, the problem only affects 1 or 2% of the 700s tested. I heard Remington's solution is, for a fee, you can send the weapon back to them and they will modify the action in such a way that the bolt can be opened while the safety is engaged. The theory is if you pull the trigger, realize your safety is engaged, you can open the bolt and eject the round without disengaging the safety.

So yea, I can pretty confidently say that the flaw does exist in the Walker trigger systems.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top