JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi:
Check out this show tonight.it's on at 6:00 PST 7:00 PST 9:00 PST 10:00
PST.On CNBC they talk about the Remington trigger and the "700 Rifle".I
thought Remington had a problem in the 80's with the trigger and the fixed it?
Here is the address.

News Headlines

Thanks
Scott Hannah

I hate to sound unfeeling about this issue, however, for the tragic accidents to happen, they still violated the rules of gun safety. The firearm was obviously pointed at something that the owner was not willing to destroy. I've handled and shot enough Remington 700's over the years, and have never had one go off without a finger on the trigger unless the gun had been unsafely modified...

I hate to sound unfeeling about this issue, however, for the tragic accidents to happen, they still violated the rules of gun safety. The firearm was obviously pointed at something that the owner was not willing to destroy. I've handled and shot enough Remington 700's over the years, and have never had one go off without a finger on the trigger unless the gun had been unsafely modified...

While this is true in blatant safety violation cases, Remington still has a responsibility to correct a weapon with an obvious design defect.
Put the shoe on the other foot...say the design flaw was in a pistol that millions of people use and holster when carrying, and say the weapon would go of while un-holstering, firing a round and hitting the user that didn't have thier finger on the trigger...
In the model 700 story it doesn't list the specific circumstances of each incident, there may be some where the rifle was pointed in a safe direction, and after firing a round then the round havind ricocheted, hit a family member. I would be angry to find out that the company knew of the potential problem, but ignored it for a buck.

please don't feel that I am attacking your statement, just playing the devils advocate...

One thing I noticed in the video when it came to the (I guess it was either cop or military) when the firearm went off without him on the trigger. He had already pulled the trigger because he said "it didn't go off". Meaning he had a misfire. A second later it goes off. This could have been from a slow burn of the powder.

I have never owned a 700 and IF I were to get one, I would want to make sure that there weren't any safety issues before I actually loaded it. As it is I like my Weatherby.

Try out Google before guessing. There are many hundreds of these cases going back decades, all implicating the Walker trigger connector. Remington has settled them for cash with gag orders, so that the public has never heard the whole story.

None of us here have heard the story. That's the whole point. Bias of CNBC aside, there are serious problems with SOME Rem 700's, right out of the box. Do you think the Army sniper school doesn't know about care and handling? What do you think about the vids the Army took of their 700's going off when the safety is switched off, or when the bolt handle is barely touched? The fact that YOUR 700 never did it is irrelevant.

To repeat, there are probably a thousand of these cases documented over many years. Do you really think you can blame "slow burn" for the majority of them?

Of course the rifle should be pointed in a safe direction. Duh. If every AD was counted, they might number in the zillions, but the ones that make the news are the few that have tragic outcomes. Like the one in the story: Their boy had dismounted his horse behind Mom and run around the back of the trailer out of her sight just as she flicked off the safety and her weapon discharged.

It's my observation that in most cases when something really bad happens, it takes a number of bad things to all line up and go wrong at once for disaster to strike. This is no different, and the fact that somebody accidentally got covered by the muzzle of a rifle does not in any way mitigate Remington's culpability if they did indeed wilfully suppress information about a potentially deadly design flaw.

To repeat, there are probably a thousand of these cases documented over many years. Do you really think you can blame "slow burn" for the majority of them?

All I was saying was that it COULD have been slow burn. With the way the video was edited there was no way to honestly tell if he hadn't already pulled the trigger, but the shooters words are a clue. One of the fist things I learned when learning shooting was that in the event of a "click" on a live round, keep it pointed down range for a few seconds in case it is a slow burn. It can happen. I'm not saying that I know for fact that every case is that; that would be ignant. Just saying THAT case COULD have been. I wish they would have played the whole clip unedited.

Again, IF I were to purchase one, especially a used one, I would check it out thoroughly for defects before loading a single live round it in.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top