JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Bob
Thanks for the invite. I'll try to make it but no promises, as I'm going hunting the weekend before and after on your match date.
As I have all my own gear . We just had a match at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club last Saturday. A 500agg.I didn't do to well,but have fun just the same.
I'll keep your club in mind for next year. Was it a 300agg?
HotRod

Hello,

I've wanted to give this a try for years. I do have a couple questions maybe you can help me with. First, I have no shooting jacket or spotting scope. Is this going to be a problem ? Second, Is there an orientation class before the match ? I have no experience in formal match shooting nor have I ever fired an M1 ? ( Love them though ! ) Finally, I am somewhat disabled, 70% VA rating. I can get down prone and back up ok but probably nothing much more strenuous than that. Is there anything more physically I might need to know ?

Thanks in advance. I'm a lifetime shooter and reloader but this is something I'd really like to try !

Clambo

I would absolutely love to shoot in these matches, but alas I cannot afford and M1, and it just seems wrong to me to try and shoot with a (loaner) rifle I'm not familiar with.

The service rifle matches at DRRC have an orientation class the evening before, to familiarize new shooters with the M1, and with target pit procedures if it is a cross course (i.e. 200/200/600 yard) match. You get hands on handling practice and loading with dummy rounds. The Club has M1s for new shooters to borrow at the match, and ammo you can buy. That is the purpose of the Club guns, as loaner rifles for people to gain experience with. The Club also has spotting scopes and shooting mats for use at the matches. And a shooting jacket is not a requirement; you could get started with a thick sweatshirt and a padded leather glove for your support hand.

The DRRC matches are pretty informal, and I am sure the director would work with any shooters who needed a physical accomodation. We are all there to have fun and shoot those great old rifles. Hope you come out sometime, Clambo and Ironbar. The next match is in December, and that one is all shot at the 100 yard line, which is a good beginning match since you don't have to worry about working the target pits.

Bob what is the course of fire?

Thanks!

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your interest. Our Garand matches are three stages. 30 shots for record. First stage is slow fire prone: Five sighters (5 minutes) and 10 shots for record (Ten Minutes). Second stage is Standing to prone, rapid fire (80 Seconds). Third Stage is standing. (10 minutes.) We can only accommodate up to 21 shooters so pre-reqistration is suggested. We shoot SR targets at 200 yards and we have a pit where targets are pulled and scored.

For those looking for M1 Garand/Vintage military matches in the Portland metro area, checkout the Tri-County Gun Club's website for info, click this for the match blog, <broken link removed>

The matches are twice a month, they are only $5.00, and they are all shot at 200 yards. Club members can use the club's M1s and can purchase CHEAP 30-06 for the match.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top