Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

CMP M1 Garand Rifle Match - Longview, Wa

Discussion in 'Competitive Shooting' started by CAL30M1, Aug 4, 2012.

1. CAL30M1

CAL30M1 Longview, WA Active Member

We held a Cmp rifle match today. It was our second of 3 we hold every year. We didn't have enough shooters so I sat this one out so a noob could get a chance on the firing line. So... I filmed a little of the match and came up with this video. Hope you guys find it amusing.

CMP M1 Garand Match - YouTube

2. yotehunter

yotehunter north west Active Member

That was like the shortest movie of all time. Very cool I would really like to try it some day.

3. HotRod61

HotRod61 Happy Valley Active Member

Hey Cal30M1

When is the next one? What are the cost? I enjoy going to different gun clubs.

HotRod

4. CAL30M1

HotRod, our final match of the year is on November 11th. The fee is $20.00 and includes your ammo for the event. If you don't have an M1 the club I belong to does have loaners available.

Here is a link to our club.

Lone Oak Rifle Pistol Club

Hope to see you there.

Best,
    Bob

5. HotRod61

HotRod61 Happy Valley Active Member

Hey Bob
    Thanks for the invite. I'll try to make it but no promises, as I'm going hunting the weekend before and after on your match date.
    As I have all my own gear . We just had a match at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club last Saturday. A 500agg.I didn't do to well,but have fun just the same.
    I'll keep your club in mind for next year. Was it a 300agg?
    HotRod

6. clambo

clambo Vancouver, Wa. Well-Known Member

Hello,

I've wanted to give this a try for years. I do have a couple questions maybe you can help me with. First, I have no shooting jacket or spotting scope. Is this going to be a problem ? Second, Is there an orientation class before the match ? I have no experience in formal match shooting nor have I ever fired an M1 ? ( Love them though ! ) Finally, I am somewhat disabled, 70% VA rating. I can get down prone and back up ok but probably nothing much more strenuous than that. Is there anything more physically I might need to know ?

Thanks in advance. I'm a lifetime shooter and reloader but this is something I'd really like to try !

Clambo

7. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

I would absolutely love to shoot in these matches, but alas I cannot afford and M1, and it just seems wrong to me to try and shoot with a (loaner) rifle I'm not familiar with.

8. joe k

joe k SE Portland Member

The service rifle matches at DRRC have an orientation class the evening before, to familiarize new shooters with the M1, and with target pit procedures if it is a cross course (i.e. 200/200/600 yard) match. You get hands on handling practice and loading with dummy rounds. The Club has M1s for new shooters to borrow at the match, and ammo you can buy. That is the purpose of the Club guns, as loaner rifles for people to gain experience with. The Club also has spotting scopes and shooting mats for use at the matches. And a shooting jacket is not a requirement; you could get started with a thick sweatshirt and a padded leather glove for your support hand.

The DRRC matches are pretty informal, and I am sure the director would work with any shooters who needed a physical accomodation. We are all there to have fun and shoot those great old rifles. Hope you come out sometime, Clambo and Ironbar. The next match is in December, and that one is all shot at the 100 yard line, which is a good beginning match since you don't have to worry about working the target pits.

9. fry

fry pacific north west Active Member

Lone Oak is a good time Garand match.

CAL30M1 and (deleted member) like this.
  10. OFADAN

OFADAN Brownsville, OR Well-Known Member

Bob what is the course of fire?

Thanks!

11. CAL30M1

Hey Dan,

Thanks for your interest. Our Garand matches are three stages. 30 shots for record. First stage is slow fire prone: Five sighters (5 minutes) and 10 shots for record (Ten Minutes). Second stage is Standing to prone, rapid fire (80 Seconds). Third Stage is standing. (10 minutes.) We can only accommodate up to 21 shooters so pre-reqistration is suggested. We shoot SR targets at 200 yards and we have a pit where targets are pulled and scored.

fredball and (deleted member) like this.
  12. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Clear pins from table and the garand match, look like a lot of fun.

13. fredball

fredball Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

very good video well done

14. 415DET

415DET Hillsboro Oregon Member

For those looking for M1 Garand/Vintage military matches in the Portland metro area, checkout the Tri-County Gun Club's website for info, click this for the match blog, Burkes Blog | Just another WordPress site

The matches are twice a month, they are only $5.00, and they are all shot at 200 yards. Club members can use the club's M1s and can purchase CHEAP 30-06 for the match.

15. Gunnerboy

Gunnerboy Cowlitz County Active Member

Played in the match today Nov 11 and had a blast, good time well worth it.