JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Have a cpl? That qualifies for the shooting portion. WAC membership for the club. Oops, you're in Or. Just join an inexpensive range. The CMP has an extensive list of affiliated clubs.

Competing at any Garand match qualifies you. You do not need to be a member to participate in the Service Rifle matches at Douglas Ridge. The next match at DRRC is March 2, but the prep class is already full.

Competing at any Garand match qualifies you. You do not need to be a member to participate in the Service Rifle matches at Douglas Ridge. The next match at DRRC is March 2, but the prep class is already full.

Tons of fun and there will be more matches. The shoot at Douglas Ridge is super laid back, and there are typically people to help you sight your rounds and stuff, and no you do not need to be a member to participate (however I liked the facilities so I joined after the shoot...). Just a heads up, once you shoot it (if you haven't) you'll be hooked. But you have to qualify either at a match or other etc and be a member of a qualifying organization to purchase...

Douglas Ridge Rifle Club - Service Rifle Program

Go to the Appleseed event at Douglas Ridge Rifle Club Feb 9-10. That will qualify you to purchase from CMP.

I was just going to say this. That's exactly how I got my Garand- by participating in the Appleseed shoot, and then getting a certificate from them that I sent to CMP. If you'd like more info about Appleseed, you can PM me, or Kimber Custom. KC is an Appleseed shoot boss.

Check here for the requirements:

Eligibility Requirements

CMP requires membership in an affiliated club. A couple of online clubs which I cannot remember right now qualify.

Ah, I forgot about this part of the requirement. I am a member of the Revolutionary War Veteran's Society which is the umbrella organization for Appleseed. Membership is only $20.00 for one year.

<broken link removed>

Of course I'm an NRA member too now, so....

I was just going to say this. That's exactly how I got my Garand- by participating in the Appleseed shoot, and then getting a certificate from them that I sent to CMP. If you'd like more info about Appleseed, you can PM me, or Kimber Custom. KC is an Appleseed shoot boss.

Did you have to qualify as a rifleman to qualify for CMP?

i have a chl but on the cmp website it says you have to be a chl instructor?
No, you just have to participate in a marksmanship related activity. There are several other ways to qualify as well, such as military service or CHL. They are listed at the eligibilty requirements linked above.

Not to disparage Appleseed or anything (I fully support what they do), but the one thing I appreciated about the actual CMP shoot, is they go over the actual operation of the Garand. Granted, it's not complicated, but it is nice to get instructional material specific to the rifle. There are some little nuances that are beneficial to know about before getting one. That, and the Garand shoot is cheaper. Like I said, I like Appleseed, and have no problem with anyone who goes that route, but I appreciated the CMP shoot for what it brought specific to the rifle.

You can join the Oregon State Shooting Association, it satisfies the club requirement for CMP purchases. <broken link removed>

I tried to buy a m1 garrand several years ago and was "delayed". Because of the delay CMP would not sell me the gun. This after patiently waiting 3 months.So if you get delayed you might want to keep that in mind.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top