JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I signed up for my first CMP class/match at Douglas Ridge this coming May. I've heard about them, don't know a lot about them, but it sounds really interesting. I've been dying to get my hands on an M1 Garand and learn how to shoot/operate it, so this should be a lot of fun.

Just curious if anyone here has done the CMP class/match before and what you thought of it? Did you get a lot out of it? Any suggestions or preparation for a first time newbie?

I also have a question regarding buying guns from CMP. Do you have to take this class or participate in a match to be able to buy from CMP?? I seem to read conflicting information on this.

Thanks!

My daughter and I went through CMP at DRRC many years ago. Back then it was a Saturday instructional class in the Clubhouse, then Sunday we shot a 200 yard match.

In the class we were taught everything about the rifles, proper sling usage when shooting a match, how to shoot off hand, seated and prone. It's been quite a while so I don't remember everything other than it was a memorable, positive experience with my daughter and I.

On Sunday we partnered up with one person shooting and the other working the pit pulling and marking targets. I enjoyed the sound or the projectile flying overhead and impacting the berm behind the pit when it was my time to pull targets.

The thing most memorable to me was my daughter shot my 20" Colt MT HBAR for the first time after the Saturday class and when all was said and done at the end of the match on Sunday, she had scored higher than most of the male shooters :D

The Garand is not as easy to shoot in a match as the AR15 IMO, so if you have an AR you can bring that instead of using the DRRC Garand...at least back then you could.

Go for it...you won't regret the experience.

Edited to add:
Not sure about the CMP purchase, but I'm sure the DRRC staff will be able to answer that question for you.

My daughter and I went through CMP at DRRC many years ago. Back then it was a Saturday instructional class in the Clubhouse, then Sunday we shot a 200 yard match.

In the class we were taught everything about the rifles, proper sling usage when shooting a match, how to shoot off hand, seated and prone. It's been quite a while so I don't remember everything other than it was a memorable, positive experience with my daughter and I.

On Sunday we partnered up with one person shooting and the other working the pit pulling and marking targets. I enjoyed the sound or the projectile flying overhead and impacting the berm behind the pit when it was my time to pull targets.

The thing most memorable to me was my daughter shot my 20" Colt MT HBAR for the first time after the Saturday class and when all was said and done at the end of the match on Sunday, she had scored higher than most of the male shooters :D

The Garand is not as easy to shoot in a match as the AR15 IMO, so if you have an AR you can bring that instead of using the DRRC Garand...at least back then you could.

Go for it...you won't regret the experience.

Edited to add:
Not sure about the CMP purchase, but I'm sure the DRRC staff will be able to answer that question for you.

I do have an AR - in .223 and .308, but I really do want to shoot the Garand on this go around. If all goes well, I may try another match down the road and may use my AR at that time (they do allow that, from what I saw on the website). Sounds like a good time though. Maybe I'll get my daughter out there one of these days.

I do have an AR - in .223 and .308, but I really do want to shoot the Garand on this go around. If all goes well, I may try another match down the road and may use my AR at that time (they do allow that, from what I saw on the website). Sounds like a good time though. Maybe I'll get my daughter out there one of these days.
It's a cool father and daughter thing for sure...provided the weather is decent :D
My daughter was about 18 when we went and it was a real confidence booster for her because I know she knows she can handle the AR just fine if she ever needed to.

Todd puts on a nice clinic and match. You will learn how to operate a classic rifle and it's a hoot to shoot. For $40 you can't go wrong.

Just keep in mind that the classroom section is 4hrs. Most of that is spent talking about how to load the Garand and score your targets. He will cover some of the positions and help you with some practice but it is not a detailed instruction. For that, you should consider attending an Appleseed event.

CMP requires you to be a member of a CMP affiliated club, be a US Citizen and have participated in a marksmanship clinic or match. This match will qualify as the shooting event and DRRC is a CMP affiliated club if you are a member. You can get an RWVA membership for $20 if you are not a DRRC member (or your club isn't CMP affiliated).

Carl is also going to put on an NRA high power clinic April 2 & 3 that would be worth considering.

Todd puts on a nice clinic and match. You will learn how to operate a classic rifle and it's a hoot to shoot. For $40 you can't go wrong.

Just keep in mind that the classroom section is 4hrs. Most of that is spent talking about how to load the Garand and score your targets. He will cover some of the positions and help you with some practice but it is not a detailed instruction. For that, you should consider attending an Appleseed event.

CMP requires you to be a member of a CMP affiliated club, be a US Citizen and have participated in a marksmanship clinic or match. This match will qualify as the shooting event and DRRC is a CMP affiliated club if you are a member. You can get an RWVA membership for $20 if you are not a DRRC member (or your club isn't CMP affiliated).

Carl is also going to put on an NRA high power clinic April 2 & 3 that would be worth considering.

I am a DRRC member. I'll be taking the Friday night class and participating in the match the next day, obviously not to compete, but more for the experience. I normally don't do all day events on the weekends because I try to reserve as much of that for family time as possible. Appleseed is something I've looked into as well and may consider giving one of those a go down the road too. I'm always up for improving my skill set.

They are fun matches. After you participate, ask for a letter to send to CMP documenting your current club membership. You'll want to buy an M1.

An AR-15 may be "easier" to shoot, but that's not the point of these matches. The point is having fun, shooting cool historic rifles, and getting better each time.

These matches are a lot of fun. The experienced shooters help coach. Great
group of people. They just purchased a couple new club M1 rifles. They have
shooting mats and spotting scopes for loan. Latter on in the year they do a couple
"Across the Course" matches. 200-300-600 yards. See you Saturday.;):D:p:rolleyes:

They are fun matches. After you participate, ask for a letter to send to CMP documenting your current club membership. You'll want to buy an M1.

An AR-15 may be "easier" to shoot, but that's not the point of these matches. The point is having fun, shooting cool historic rifles, and getting better each time.

Thanks for the heads-up on the letter, I'll be sure to ask about that - I do want to add a Garand to my collection one of these days.

Your second point is part of why I signed up. I'm eager to improve my shooting techniques, but I'm also eager to get some hands-on time on the Garand. Sounds like a lot of fun.

See you Saturday.;):D:p:rolleyes:

See you then. May seems like a long wait at this point.

Shot my first Service Rifle (CMP) match at DRRC today. My first ever chance to shoot an M1 Garand and participate in a match. I've waited a long time to shoot this classic rifle and the SR match was a great way to be introduced to it. The folks at DRRC did a nice job putting on the match and helping us newbie match shooters learn the ropes.

Yesterday was also my first SR match, I used my AR for this one but will possibly try the M1 Garand next time. Great group of folks, vary helpfull and what a good time. Thank you DRRC for putting these events together, see you in July.:D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top