JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have EXTENSIVE experience with both.

Both are vastly superior to drop in kits, both have level gas blocks, and both are pretty heavy, however both are %100 percent relaible.

Thats said both are also spendy, ...

SO I would have to say the CMMG kit wins out, simply for the slight price advantage. about $50.

I run the CMMG piston set up on almost all my customs. I have ran the AA 3 times only to replace with a CMMG and save $50 at no sacrifice to function, ...on 2 of them.

Fouling was minimal on both, obviously due to the redirection of gasses, the largets benefit to a gas piston system.

I truly believe, and I have mentioned this to the powers that be, by keeping the price around 300 but offering it wiht a 5.56 bolt included would vastly increase market support for these products....these kits have been aorund since early 80's, ...and there have been plans for a production gas piston model ever since early 60's, i truly believe the entire market wil eventualy find itself there as it becomes cheaper and lighter ...

I have EXTENSIVE experience with both.

Both are vastly superior to drop in kits, both have level gas blocks, and both are pretty heavy, however both are %100 percent relaible.

Thats said both are also spendy, ...

SO I would have to say the CMMG kit wins out, simply for the slight price advantage. about $50.

I run the CMMG piston set up on almost all my customs. I have ran the AA 3 times only to replace with a CMMG and save $50 at no sacrifice to function, ...on 2 of them.

Fouling was minimal on both, obviously due to the redirection of gasses, the largets benefit to a gas piston system.

I truly believe, and I have mentioned this to the powers that be, by keeping the price around 300 but offering it wiht a 5.56 bolt included would vastly increase market support for these products....these kits have been aorund since early 80's, ...and there have been plans for a production gas piston model ever since early 60's, i truly believe the entire market wil eventualy find itself there as it becomes cheaper and lighter ...

So are the internet rumors of carrier tilt a non issue? I have also heard about the accuracy of the gun being a little worse than DI also. As you can probably tell, I have ZERO experience with piston ARs, but the idea of a cleaner running AR15 is beautiful to me. I just don't want to regret going piston. Thanks.

If you are not running full auto then to be honest, wear will not ever reach a point that carrier tilt would be a realistic concearn, however, the rumors are correct, that raised rear carriers will ellimante this tilt or canter, and is an added benefit, however, in semi auto it may not ever be noticed...

Either way, the only down side to gas piston is wieght and cost, there are no fucntionality issues that would leave it less superior than traditional tube.

If it is relaiability, and low maintinance you priroitize, then Gas Piston

If it is Weight, and cost, then tube all the way.

Otherwise ther ewill alwasy be a compremise.

I own both.

Accuracy, I have never noticed as an issues as I only run free floating forends. LEave your barrel un hindered and you'll be fine, aslo I tend to not agree with Chrome linings as this will vastly alter the bore of the rifle and can effect accuracy ou tto 250yrds...

btw Blackwater Tactical (nwfa vender here ) sells the cmmg and usually has a pretty good price on them

i've been bitten but the piston bug and have followed ever since KKF and reintroduced them several years ago and i have done a lot of research but i have come to the conclusion that they are just cool aid . if you get a good DI ar15 and keep it clean it will keep running and its only 1 part being the gas tube vs a special gas block special piston special spring special carrier special buffer special piston tube special end cap , special handguards . if any of these components malfuntions then you have to mail order and wait for it while your weapon is down

but if you like cool aid, both the cmmg and adams are probably your best choices so it appears you have done some research

stag is using a Cmmg style kit i don't know if parts are interchangeable but if they are thats a big plus to have a major manfacturer using the same parts

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top