JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Personally I would avoid mosins at all costs, sure it is cheaper than other rifles, but it also lacks the precision of a lot of other rilfes of the time.
Which makes sense since the Russians were just trying to get out as many as they could to arm all the peasants during WWII, saving of course the good shooters to be converted for sniper use. From my experience they have definitely earned the term garbage rod, I was disappointing by the accuracy even at 25 yards and it was no better further out either.

That mosin is one of the very few guns I regret buying, the other was a charter arms .38.
I had bought the mosin because I have always liked WWII rifles, it didn't help that at the time I also played a lot of call of duty 2, and had seen enemy at the gates a few times. Not saying there aren't some good ones out there,but at the price of a good one you could get a much better built rifle overall.
I would not ever own another one unless it was given to me, and even then I wouldn't keep it,sell it asap lol.

Great suggestions here.

I don't shoot match any more but I do own most of the rifles listed (no 1903, however). From my experience it would either be the Swedish Mauser in 6.5 or the Swiss 1911...the Mauser for all-round goodness, but the Schmidt Rubin for it's trigger, smooth straight pull action, and quality of manufacture.

And if you can get GP11 ammo for it, even though it was standard issue, it is match grade +.

For me, Mosin triggers are really rough; WWI British Enfields ya gotta shop carefully, they've been through a lot; 1917 Enfields in either .303 or 30-06 are pretty good if you can find a reasonably priced one; Mausers are also tough to find in great shape, although they are out there...and that's why I think the Swiss and Swedes will do more than their part if you do yours.

Good luck.

Enfields are great rifles. Aesthetically I think they look great and my uncle taught me to hunt on an Enfield 20+ years ago. .303 may be a little difficult to find now (Ishapore is an Enfield in .308 but I don't believe they were around in WWI).

However, if my only options were WWI rifles I would 100% choose the Springfield. Not only is it a beautiful rifle that holds value but the ammunition is readily available. There is a lot to be said that the military used the Springfield as a sniper rifle through Vietnam.

I love military surplus (especially Thompson M1A1 and Garands) but if I had to choose a bolt gun from the past 100 years it would be the Springfield.

I'll be the oddball her. Canadian Ross in .303.

Sadly, the price of a suitable .303 Ross has recently gone through the roof. Add to that that fact that due to the rather soft steel used in the barrel, that legendary accuracy is now just that - legendary, a bit like Ulysses and his incredible archery. Just to show you how the prices have gone up in the last few years, a later than 'blow-your-head-off' version sold here in our gun club between two members of the HBSA for just under $2200 last month. The former owner had paid an 'over-the-top' $1000 for it less than five years ago.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top