JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Is there a limit to the number of FTF sales you can do before you have to be a licensed dealer? Oregon Normal rifles and pistols, nothing odd or strange

question #2; Do you need to do paper work on the above sales?

Thanks

No limit / no paperwork just dont be doing it for making a profit like a busness. Some may argue if you have more than I believe 25 for sale at one time it could be considered a gun show which would require doing BG checks.

No limit / no paperwork just dont be doing it for making a profit like a busness. Some may argue if you have more than I believe 25 for sale at one time it could be considered a gun show which would require doing BG checks.

My Gun club won'y allow more than 25 guns at our swap meets..

There are laws governing the amount of money you can make like deadeye said. Most states require you to make more than $2000 profit before you must claim on you taxes. Once you reach that limit you may be concidered a dealer and may have to aquire a liscense. Best bet is to check with your local ATF Rep.

If you are "engaged in the business of dealing in firearms" you need to be licensed. The ATF defines "engaged in the business" as

Q: What does “engaged in the business” mean?

The term “engaged in the business,” as applicable to a firearms dealer, is defined as a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms.

<broken link removed>

There is no clear distinction when "occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases" becomes "repetitive purchase and resale of firearms".

There are laws governing the amount of money you can make like deadeye said. Most states require you to make more than $2000 profit before you must claim on you taxes. Once you reach that limit you may be concidered a dealer and may have to aquire a liscense. Best bet is to check with your local ATF Rep.

Say you have a collection of 1000 guns and you decide one day to sell it all that is 100% legal without a license per the law quoted above.

i would guess that if all deals were ftf with no paper trail that uncle sam would see who would be the wiser? if multiple out of state sales were involved there could be a problem. i dont know when the red flag would be raised.

I read it like this. It's against the law for me to buy and sell with then intent of making a profit. I trade and sell some guns to enhance the quality and hopefully the size of my collection. My wife will tell you that I'e never made a profit. Ken

Under Oregon law,where you and I live, 25 or more guns for sale = a gun show, unless it is disposing of personal arms, as in an estate sale. How they determine that who knows. Ask Ginny Burdick since she is the most antigun person in the state.

Just look at her and you will see she is on the Pelosi beauty plan. If she had her way, God forbid, we would all be sent to hell following it.

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top