JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
check shoulder dia. also take a magic marker and darken completely one of the cartridges in question including the bullet, then re-insert and extract....look for bright marks on the case or bullet.

I'd check the shoulder CAREFULLY as bullet seating can expand it slightly leading to non-chambering

check shoulder dia. also take a magic marker and darken completely one of the cartridges in question including the bullet, then re-insert and extract....look for bright marks on the case or bullet.

I'd check the shoulder CAREFULLY as bullet seating can expand it slightly leading to non-chambering

the shoulder is .4118
specs show .4142

Did you crimp them?

I've found that a little over crimp will bulge either the neck or the shoulder and make for tough seating or extraction...

It's apparent once you know what to look for.

can i chamber the empty round to eliminate the brass before i load?

If it's a bulge from the crimp, it will chamber fine before you seat the bullet and crimp. It's not the brass, it's the process that's hanging up.

I'm cheap, and the last few that I did that (I backed off my crimp when I discovered why they wouldn't chamber) I pulled the bullet, resized and reloaded.

Another possibility - is the OAL in spec or at least known good?

If it's a bulge from the crimp, it will chamber fine before you seat the bullet and crimp. It's not the brass, it's the process that's hanging up.

I'm cheap, and the last few that I did that (I backed off my crimp when I discovered why they wouldn't chamber) I pulled the bullet, resized and reloaded.

i did notice that the rim had some rough cuts in it all 4 rounds

The rim probably wouldn't affect chambering.

I'd guess that you tweaked the rim a little bit coming out of the sizing die... maybe not enough lube? And as such, they didn't quite size fully.

disclaimer - I probably have no idea what I'm talking about. I suppose a bent rim could make it hard to close the action, but I don't think it would lead to extraction issues, which is part of what I understand your problem to be.

a bent or upset rim WILL make it difficult/impossible to close the bolt...the dies and shellholders are set to return brass to the nominal size...but the bolt is a SOLID surface that catches all the offset. take a round that wont chamber and a file and CAREFULLY dress the base of the cartridge flat and try it again...also try chambering a resized round with no powder or bullet.

I'd set any with an upset rim aside...sort your brass. what was the brass fired in prior?

a bent or upset rim WILL make it difficult/impossible to close the bolt...the dies and shellholders are set to return brass to the nominal size...but the bolt is a SOLID surface that catches all the offset. take a round that wont chamber and a file and CAREFULLY dress the base of the cartridge flat and try it again...also try chambering a resized round with no powder or bullet.

Ok, so under these circumstances, it's incredibly unusual that you will have any trouble chambering the rounds... that lock-up issue is exceedingly strange. However, there are two situations I can think of where this is an issue... First, it is possible your bullet is far enough out side of the case mouth that it is partially engaging the rifling. The second and more likely, is that during crimping (if you crimped) there is a bulge somewhere, usually with bottleneck rounds, it grows at the bottom side of the sholder on the body. The other, and more unusual case would be if your chamber or size die is a little bit oblong. The only way to check for this is to put the rounds in a V-block and hit them with a dial indicator taking note and rolling the case around looking for differences.

However, as one poster said, the rim could be messed up (if you didn't use enough lube and it displaced where the rim and bottom of the case are). In which case the OAL of the case may have grown, in addition to the OAL of the cartridge. Typically, in a situation where not enough lube is applied the case sticks and tears off the rim.

The only other thing I can think of is to make sure the locking lugs on the gun are properly greased. I am not very familiar with the remington's in this reguard, but it's a practice I follow rather closely on my savage 10.

misc brass once fired not from my rifle

It's possible the shoulder needs to be set back a bit further as your chamber maybe shorter than the rifle that the once fired brass was shot in. You can measure this by measuring the case from the shoulder to the base.

Or take the sized case and set its shoulder back .010" more and see if it then chambers. This shouldn't be difficult to remedy, the brass won't fit, so....size it more. There is only one direction to go when sizing....smaller.;)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top