Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

closed

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by prkrgrp, Sep 15, 2010.

1. prkrgrp

prkrgrp oregon Active Member

closed

2. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

I would check other manuals for case lengths as well. You may find different info.

3. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

something that is only .012" short is just fine to reload. The main reason for trimming brass is long brass can jam the bullet in the case mouth and bump pressures higher, short brass is safe to use, but usually less than ideal as the bullet then has to jump that distance into the throat.

4. Throckmorton

Throckmorton Florence,Ore ah gone Well-Known Member

most brass will 'grow' after being sized,that is when you measure. IF neck sizing,no growing usually.
    For rifle,I would not push the upper limits of powder charge with short cases,prolly drop back 10 percent,load a few,and see what the results are.
    Max charges are seldome necessary anyway.

5. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

It depends if the shoulder is in the right place. If you shoot a short round and the shoulder isn't in the right place, it will fireform to the chamber. However, it sometimes does that by stretching and thinning closer to the base.

The recommendation to shoot lighter loads in short cases is a good one, and, inspect the brass carefully after you do before reusing it. Also, make sure your resizer isn't setting the shoulder too far back.

6. rodell

rodell Newcastle, WA Active Member

I suggest measuring the cartridge to see if everything's in the right place, using the cartridge drawing. The length from the head to the shoulder is 1.5148".

BTW, for the 22-250, I show a maximum length of 1.912", and a trim to length of 1.902".

Are you reading 1.900"?

7. terrylf72

terrylf72 Portland, Oregon, United States Member

8. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

Winchester brass can be as much as 15k short from trim length right out of the bag. Just find the shortest case and use that as the trim length. No sweat.

9. AMProducts

AMProducts Maple Valley, WA Jerk, Ammo Manufacturer Silver Supporter

Winchester bagged brass is utter failure. Avoid it whenever possible. As TRM said, it can be as much as .015 short, usually if that's the only problem you're lucky. Most of the time the case mouths are also cut crooked, the rims arn't cut/formed properly, or the brass wasn't annealed properly in forming and there's a nasty fold near the neck.

Winchester's ammunition seems to be ok, as it seems they spend time to actually QC it, after the last few times I've bought winchester bulk components (which I returned the quality was so bad) I won't buy them unless there is no other option, and I will actively discourage other people from buying them. I don't mind using once-fired winchester brass, in fact it's one of my favorites.