JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
question about the 30rd mag.....if i were to pick this up, technically to use it legally would i need to change out a bunch of parts with US made parts to make it legal ot use w/ a 30rd?
---------------------------------------
Nope, this is pre-ban. You just remove the factory mag by removing the stock and use the 30 rounder.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Bear with me, Im a noob and want to make sure I cover my bases if I pick one of these up. How would I prove to LE that the rifle is pre-ban?
---------------------------------------------
I think Google would be the best source for that question because I honestly just don't know the answer.

Just checked the SKS faq...looks like even if its 'pre-ban' , you technically cannot modify it to accept the hi cap mag.
Can I replace parts on my "pre-ban" rifle?

Yes, but only with like parts. The following is directly from the ATF-346:

The comment was made that ATF should allow the replacement of broken or defective parts in any rifle or shotgun which had been legally imported into or assembled in the United States. Pursuant to this comment, the regulation has been revised to allow the replacement of damaged or defective parts on firearms which were lawfully imported into the United States or which were lawfully assembled prior to November 30, 1990, the effective date of section 922(r). For example, the regulation will allow for the replacement of a broken stock or pistol grip on a damaged semiautomatic AK-47 which was legally imported into or legally assembled in the United States. Further, a defective fixed shoulder stock of an SKS type rifle which was lawfully imported as a sporting firearm could lawfully be replaced with a fixed shoulder stock. On the other hand, the shoulder stock could not be replaced with a folding stock since the assembly of the SKS rifle with a folding stock would result in a firearm which would be nonimportable.

What is a "detachable large capacity magazine"?

With regard to the SKS Carbine, the short answer is: ‘Not what you might think.' It includes any detachable magazine or any high-capacity fixed magazine holding more than ten rounds. Confused? You're not alone—this has changed several times over the past 15 or so years.

Here's a little background: The original "restricted features" list from the 1989 study included detachable magazines as a possible restricted feature. However, the associated text said "that any of these military features, other than the ability to accept a detachable magazine, would make a semiautomatic assault rifle not importable". Thus from 1989 onward, a rifle could still be imported if a detachable magazine was the only offending feature. (This can be seen from the fact that detachable magazine SKS‑M Carbines were imported in large numbers until the "1994 Chinese Ban" took effect.) However, in April 1998 ATF published a second study that concluded that semiautomatic rifles with the ability to accept so-called "Large Capacity Military Magazines" would now be prohibited from import.

Because aftermarket detachable magazines are available in "large capacity", they are by definition considered "Large Capacity Military Magazines" by ATF. Thus since 1998 importing an SKS which uses a detachable magazine has been prohibited. For more information, check out the discussion on the legality of fixed high-capacity magazines and the discussion of the legality of detachable magazines on the Survivor's SKS Boards web site.

Warning: Despite the fact that no military organization ever used aftermarket detachable magazines in an SKS Carbine, since 1998 it is a 922(r) violation to modify an imported SKS Carbine to use one.

Im not trying to tick you off, just wanted to share what I found. Fact is, out of all the rifles I could get soon, I really want the SKS. Id prefer one over an AK. And I cant really afford a lot of other rifles like ARs, etc. And I want a higher capacity magazine. But, it looks like the man really wants to make it as problematic as possible...ill do some more research.

---------------------------------------
Nope, this is pre-ban. You just remove the factory mag by removing the stock and use the 30 rounder.

Not correct. 922r compliance has nothing to do with the assault weapons ban.

Sticking a 30 round detachable mag onto an SKS is illegal unless it is a preban Norinco M or D model that was designed to take AK mags.

If you want to use 30 round mags in an SKS you need to replace enough parts to get the imported parts count down to 10.

The easiest way to do this is to buy the whole Tapco setup which includes a US-made stock, foreend, guide rod, and 20 rd duckbill mag. Its legal and does not require any gunsmithing.

Surplusrifleforum.com is a good source of info for the do's and dont's for SKS owners.

Not correct. 922r compliance has nothing to do with the assault weapons ban.

Sticking a 30 round detachable mag onto an SKS is illegal unless it is a preban Norinco M or D model that was designed to take AK mags.

If you want to use 30 round mags in an SKS you need to replace enough parts to get the imported parts count down to 10.

The easiest way to do this is to buy the whole Tapco setup which includes a US-made stock, foreend, guide rod, and 20 rd duckbill mag. Its legal and does not require any gunsmithing.

Surplusrifleforum.com is a good source of info for the do's and dont's for SKS owners.

This is correct. A common misconception (that Tapco makes also) is that the pistol grip counts towards 922R, which it doesn't. You will be set with getting the tapco compliancy kit but you have to get all of it.

If anyone wants to purchase an SKS and change it from it's orginial configuration, I suggest doing some research at sksboards.com.

It is probably the most knowledgeable fanbase for SKS's on the web and has a bunch of great people on it.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.