JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Looking for 2, 12 gauge, cylinder bore chokes. Need to be flush fit and compatible with; Winchoke, Invector, Mossberg 500, or Weatherby. After market and or used is ok.These are for my Stoeger coach gun supreme.

Last Edited:
Looking for 2, 12 gauge, cylinder bore chokes. Need to be flush fit and compatible with; Winchoke, Invector, Mossberg 500, or Weatherby. After market and or used is ok.These are for my Stoeger coach gun supreme.

On first pass I thought this a put-on. By definition a 'cylinder bore' is an unconstricted barrel. So a cylinder bore choke would be an straight barrel. Your Stoger already has one.
Or did you mean another choke constriction value? Like 'Modified' or 'Full'.

I've got a Supreme model, so I've got screw in choke tubes.
Choke tubes come in 4 basic constrictions; cylinder or cylinder bore (this is wide open, no constriction), improved cylinder, modified, and full (yes I know there are others, but these are the 4 most common chokes).
I've seen the tubes I want online, but until I get around to ordering one, I'm looking localy.
They're hard to find because everybody always seems to want a tighter pattern, not wider.

****, I am just a rube, I have never seen a coach gun with screw-in choke tubes. Kind of defeats the purpose doesn't it.

All that aside, I have a pair if Cyl/Imp Cyl tubes gathering dust, I believe they are from a Mossberg, flush fit, four notchs and threads on the muzzle end. That sound like what you are looking for?

Sorry, my threads are on the muzzle/breech end. I assume that your Mossberg is 590. The 500 uses different choke tubes, they are the only Mossbergs compatible.

I'm not trying to be argumenative, but how do screw in tubes 'defeat the purpose'?

This thread goal kind of makes the point. Coach guns are short range weapons, they are short barreled to ensure a good spread and increase close-up handling. Effective ranges are along the order of 0-15 yards, 20 if you are pushing it. Or you are using slugs for 0-70 yards.
A Coach gun is made to shot things closeup, HD or Cowboy Action. The firearm design screams for cylinder bore, having the ability to choke it down strikes me as pointless.
Anything pointless on a firearm is bad. The best firearms only have what they need.
Something I tell all my urban commando friends when they bust out the AR's with lasers/lights/grips/bipods/BUIS/Aimpoint/range finders/disco balls.

Please don't get me wrong, you didn't design this shotgun. You are trying to put the right choke value into it. I am just thinking that should have been unnecessary if the the manufacturer had thought it out a little. But the maker is just selling what the buyers want I guess.

Just my opinion not based upon any great Truth.

The regular version of this comes with fixed chokes, in improved cylinder and modified. They are a pretty versatile combination.

Other than not quite getting full powder burn, barrel length does'nt dictate effective 'range'. Choke restriction determines pattern density at a given distance.
While I agree that a coach gun is intended for close fast work. The ability to use interchangeable choke tubes makes it much more versatile.
The down side to short barrels is that while they start quick, they also stop quick. Thus making follow through difficult, on moving targets.
I suppose one could argue that the reduced sighting plane could hinder accuracey. But since you don't 'aim' a shotgun, I'm not sure that's an issue.

I enjoy casually shooting clays with friends. The improved cylinder and modified combo is about perfect for this.
I also like coach guns for grouse. They flush so close and fast that a coach gun is very effective. Also grouse tend towards settling quickly so follow through is'nt to much of an issue. However, 12ga is really over kill. I want the wide open cylinder bore choke tubes so patterns won't be so dense. Thus not chewing up the birds so much.
Really for the kind of shotgunning I do an upland style 20ga would be better. Some day I'll 'grow up' and get one. But I like short barrels, and 'machismo' makes me lean towards a 12ga.

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.