JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey there, all.
I just watched an old (emphasis on old) AGI video on the Ruger 10/22. Some bit into the video, the speaker details how he cleans the parts. Granted, he has every single piece taken apart and laying in front of him, so some of what he does wouldn't be feasible in a simple cleaning situation. But he uses Simple Green - which at the time of the video was less readily available, as he suggests finding it at parts stores and such.
Anyway, he spray soaks every part with Simple Green, lets it soak for a minute or two, then scrubs maybe a few times on each piece, the drops them in a small bucket filled with rinse water. Shakes up the bucket, swishes each part around a bit to rinse, then removes them and lays them on a towel. Dries them off, spray soaks them with break free. Uses a paper towel to wipe off excess oil, and voila. Ready for reassembly.

Has anyone else ever heard of this? Using simple green to clean your gun, I mean. From what I could see in the video, it did work really well. As the speaker said, all the gunk just fell right off the parts, with little to no scrubbing.

Opinions? Thoughts?

-Mike

I do use a mixture of part Simple Green mixed with near boiling water to remove cosmoline from metal parts on older guns. I just get a tub, pour in the water, add some SG and let them soak for a few moments, followed by a rinse with near boiling water - strips the cosmoline away very, very well. For the barrel/chamber, I mix up the SG and water and pour it over those parts and down the barrel. Works nice and fast.

That said, it can also strip away the cheap bluing/finish on some guns, so it's best to test it first. I've used this method to clean off several mosins with no problem.

I don't think I would use it on my modern guns though, I'll stick with regular cleaners for that.

Yes, it's a degreaser, i always use a degreaser when properly cleaning, i happen to use MPro7 but that's mostly because it leaves a rust proofing behind so i don't have to worry about when i lube it.

I have used it and it works OK. I bought a Harbor Freight parts washing station and use mineral spirits in it. Crud, no problem! Cosmoline, takes it off like water! Good stuff!

Simple green has been linked to autism (for sure - I want to say a couple other things but can't say for sure) which may be why it's harder to find.

15-16 years ago my daughters school was using the stuff to clean everything. Took them some research and they changed cleaning products.

Now I know this is off the topic a bit but just thought I would toss it out for anyone that may want the info.

I bought a gallon of concentrated SG years ago and used it here and there on all kinds a stuff. As someone else noted, it will etch (in my experience), all kindsa stuff, even in properly diluted form. It will also leave/make a nasty film which will remind you of the tarbaby or the Dr. Suess stain chase fiasco. I will never use that stuff on anything ever again.

I'm a lazy caveman so I use Gun Scrubber because the can says that I don't have to disassemble nuttin....... just make sure you wear some kind of eye protection........;););)o_O

20151218_113416_001.jpg

Last Edited:
I love simple green. It has helped me with my math:rolleyes:
I wouldn't use it for my guns. I don't even use it for my smoke pole.I didn't like using soap and water on my $100 mosin
But I don't see a need to completely degrease my guns.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top