JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Hey Gunner, I'm not a chemist either. I am aware that any petrolem product would be TNT as far a powder and primer handling. Most things are marked on the container if this is true. Silicone, I don't know either and I would think it would not ne compatable with the petrolem products either. Contents are not on the bottle, but decline to drink any, even if mixed with Jack Daniels!
It is a product that has been around for awhile. Some years back Sierra used to put out a monthly news letter that covered a bunch of things in the loading field. They also had a hotline where you could call a tech who had answeres for just about everything. Once I even asked about using a solvent to clean the sizing lube off the cases. Answer was no. The Nufinish was not on the list of things to avoid.
The characteristics you describe when using it have not been mine. The amount of shine produced while using it varies with the coarseness of the media. Walnut hulls a clean dullish shine, but the corn husk media does come out pretty shiney. I sure can't detect a silicon effect when sizing cases, and the same amount of energy is needed with cases cleaned in this manner, and cases that are not tumbled at all. I have used just about all the different case lubes that are out there from RCBS, One Shot, and now kind of lean toward a case wax. All the exterior loaded cartridges are wiped off when they they are completed.
Back to the tumbling, the smell and vapors you speak of are simply not there. The only odor is from the sheets of fabric freshner that picks up all the contaminates burnt powder, dirt, little pieces of minute brass, and dust off the tumbling media. I don't use these sheets on every load, just when the media starts to darken up and lose it's polishing effects. No coatings of the NuFinish on it, it should have if petrolum based. Also I would think these residues would remain on the cases and form a white haze when dried. Doesn't happen. Most all the commercial stuff has some kind of abrasive with it like jewler's rouge and simular. I have no idea what the liquid carrier is, but some of it does cling to and eventually settle in the pores of the fabric
sheets. In fact some that I got from Midway I kind of quit using for that and some other reasons. It's base was a red jewlers rouge.
Sometimes the cases will set around for months and a few years before using them. No residue, and there is no dry time on the cases that are loaded right after the tumbling process because their is no wetness of any type. The only time that I have used H2O was if I got a very dirty, muddy, nasty cases. Shake them up in hot soapy water, followed by clear hot water, and dried and checked for dryness before tumbling is done.
The only failure to fire including long term storage of loaded ammo was at the very start of my loading career. Using the old Lyman nutcracker 310 tool,
priming was done one primer and case at a time. I had a failure to fire that was traced back to handling cases with lube on them, followed by handling the primers with lube on my fingers. A lesson learned very early, dirty fingers and handling primers don't mix. Vapors and smoking? Quit a few year back and miss it at times. Don't recall doing so while loading. Smoked a pipe, so there is only so many things a pair of hands can do and stay coordinated!
Anyhow, just did a little mad chemist testing. This stuff does not burn. Placed on a class A fuel, it does not burn. Squeezing a near empty bottle to create some type of vapor puts the match out. Direct exposure of flame to gob of it, stains it a litttle to from white to a tan, but will not ignite. No markings on the bottle of any hazards or antidotes. I still feel comfortable to use this product in my tumbler. I use other types also, in fact I just bought a quart of that Midway's Frankfort stuff at $20 plus postage!
Don't know a bunch about silicon and it's effects other than sometimes when used to enhance breasts can be hazardous if they are yours. Used in a bunch of things and seems pretty inhert.:s0155:

Hey Gunner, I'm not a chemist either. I am aware that any petrolem product would be TNT as far a powder and primer handling. Most things are marked on the container if this is true. Silicone, I don't know either and I would think it would not ne compatable with the petrolem products either. Contents are not on the bottle, but decline to drink any, even if mixed with Jack Daniels!
It is a product that has been around for awhile. Some years back Sierra used to put out a monthly news letter that covered a bunch of things in the loading field. They also had a hotline where you could call a tech who had answeres for just about everything. Once I even asked about using a solvent to clean the sizing lube off the cases. Answer was no. The Nufinish was not on the list of things to avoid.
The characteristics you describe when using it have not been mine. The amount of shine produced while using it varies with the coarseness of the media. Walnut hulls a clean dullish shine, but the corn husk media does come out pretty shiney. I sure can't detect a silicon effect when sizing cases, and the same amount of energy is needed with cases cleaned in this manner, and cases that are not tumbled at all. I have used just about all the different case lubes that are out there from RCBS, One Shot, and now kind of lean toward a case wax. All the exterior loaded cartridges are wiped off when they they are completed.
Back to the tumbling, the smell and vapors you speak of are simply not there. The only odor is from the sheets of fabric freshner that picks up all the contaminates burnt powder, dirt, little pieces of minute brass, and dust off the tumbling media. I don't use these sheets on every load, just when the media starts to darken up and lose it's polishing effects. No coatings of the NuFinish on it, it should have if petrolum based. Also I would think these residues would remain on the cases and form a white haze when dried. Doesn't happen. Most all the commercial stuff has some kind of abrasive with it like jewler's rouge and simular. I have no idea what the liquid carrier is, but some of it does cling to and eventually settle in the pores of the fabric
sheets. In fact some that I got from Midway I kind of quit using for that and some other reasons. It's base was a red jewlers rouge.
Sometimes the cases will set around for months and a few years before using them. No residue, and there is no dry time on the cases that are loaded right after the tumbling process because their is no wetness of any type. The only time that I have used H2O was if I got a very dirty, muddy, nasty cases. Shake them up in hot soapy water, followed by clear hot water, and dried and checked for dryness before tumbling is done.
The only failure to fire including long term storage of loaded ammo was at the very start of my loading career. Using the old Lyman nutcracker 310 tool,
priming was done one primer and case at a time. I had a failure to fire that was traced back to handling cases with lube on them, followed by handling the primers with lube on my fingers. A lesson learned very early, dirty fingers and handling primers don't mix. Vapors and smoking? Quit a few year back and miss it at times. Don't recall doing so while loading. Smoked a pipe, so there is only so many things a pair of hands can do and stay coordinated!
Anyhow, just did a little mad chemist testing. This stuff does not burn. Placed on a class A fuel, it does not burn. Squeezing a near empty bottle to create some type of vapor puts the match out. Direct exposure of flame to gob of it, stains it a litttle to from white to a tan, but will not ignite. No markings on the bottle of any hazards or antidotes. I still feel comfortable to use this product in my tumbler. I use other types also, in fact I just bought a quart of that Midway's Frankfort stuff at $20 plus postage!
Don't know a bunch about silicon and it's effects other than sometimes when used to enhance breasts can be hazardous if they are yours. Used in a bunch of things and seems pretty inhert.:s0155:

householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov

Product Information
Product Name: Nu Finish Car Polish
Form: liquid

Handling/Disposal

Handling: From MSDS (see below for MSDS.)

[B]Product is combustible, use with reasonable care and caution.[/B] Toxicological properties have not been evaluated completely. Use with appropriate caution. Good practice requires that gross amount of any chemical be removed from the skin as soon as practical, especially before eating or smoking.
Disposal: MSDS provides no information about disposal.

Ingredients from MSDS/Label
Chemical CAS No / Unique ID Percent
Solvent 140 (petroleum distillate) 000000-19-3 1
Stoddard solvent 008052-41-3 10

-----------------------------------------
From US Department of Health and Human Services:

Related Items (to Nu Finish):

Products with similar usage in this database

Armor All No. 7 Auto Polish and Cleaner
Armor All Multi Purpose Cleaner
Armor All Multi Purpose Cleaner-07/01/1998
Armor All Protectant Car Polish
Armor All Spray On Car Polish

----------------------------------

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/faq.htm#7

7. What is a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS)?

Answer: A Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) is a fact sheet developed by manufacturers describing the chemical properties of a product. Material Safety Data Sheets include brand-specific information such as physical data (solid, liquid, color, melting point, flash point, etc.), health effects, first aid, reactivity, storage, handling, disposal, personal protection and spill/leak procedures. As required by the Occupational Health and Safety Administration (OSHA), the target audience for information in a MSDS is the occupation worker who may be exposed to chemicals at work. However, much of the information is also relevant to consumers.

With all due respect, I used that chit once on brass. I then looked up the MSDS on the product Nu Finish and threw the brass away.

Everyone else is welcome to do as he pleases of course, and I can't claim that using it will do any harm to the case, the gun, the powder, the primer or anything else.

I do know that if the product isn't dry before loading, the petroleum distillates could damage/alter the powder and primer and might even do some damage to the gun or the shooter.

$.02 and you paid way too much again. :s0114:

Many thanks for the information. I use other commercial stuff besides this.
Still, solvent isn't a good thing even in small amounts. I would imagine that when used as it is designed (Car polish) when the product hazes it might be that this is the solvent disapating. Like other things, I will use super care using the product. Used as I have been doing, I still can't see a contamination problem with the solvent end of it. Can't be a significant amount of solvent left after tumbling through cases and media. After this tumble, cases are sized, deprimed, pockets cleaned of any carbon. I throw the cases back into another tumbler with corn cob media only, no polishing agent is added. This gives it a final cleaning removing any case lube and it's good to go for priming, powder, and bullet seating :)

Many thanks for the information. I use other commercial stuff besides this.
Still, solvent isn't a good thing even in small amounts. I would imagine that when used as it is designed (Car polish) when the product hazes it might be that this is the solvent disapating. Like other things, I will use super care using the product. Used as I have been doing, I still can't see a contamination problem with the solvent end of it. Can't be a significant amount of solvent left after tumbling through cases and media. After this tumble, cases are sized, deprimed, pockets cleaned of any carbon. I throw the cases back into another tumbler with corn cob media only, no polishing agent is added. This gives it a final cleaning removing any case lube and it's good to go for priming, powder, and bullet seating :)

OK, but you didn't get that silicone off the inside or outside of the case, no way.

I have no idea, and readily admit it, what silicone might do to long term storage of powder and primers inside the case after loading. I don't know if it would effect bullet seating (slippery.) I don't know if it's good or bad for the gun, including when it burns. I don't know if it would effect primer seating grip. It would get spread around even more in a second tumble.

It could be that an older bottle of Nu Finish could already have had much of it's petroleum distillates evaporated, accounting for the experience that it isn't flammable. If it's fresh product, the fumes generated while tumbling would be very flammable.

You use it, I won't, and we'll both be happy. :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top