Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cleaning question about using grease (Ruger P-95 in particular)

Discussion in 'Handgun Discussion' started by Jvandyke13, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Jvandyke13

Jvandyke13 Sherwood,OR Member

So i just got my Ruger P-95 to add to my collection the other day as new. Before i shoot it i am going to clean it. My question is for semi-auto's do you need to actually use gun grease on the moving parts of the gun? I always applied it when cleaning my rifles but wasnt sure if you would use it on a semi auto pistol or if you would just stick w/ oil. For what its worth i cant find anywhere that actually sells gun grease anymore. If i should be using it then maybe ill go back to Gun Broker in Tigard where i bought the gun and see if they sell it.

2. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I use Gunslick on all the metal to metal surfaces on my autoloaders, handguns and long guns. That has worked well for me for years. I use oil on all the other metal surfaces mainly to protect the metal. I'm sure you'll get all sorts of answers though as to what works best with this type of open ended question.

3. Jvandyke13

Right on thats what i was using for the rifles... have you had problems finding it in stores around here?

4. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

A few general rules:

Grease will freeze at low temperature and your gun will lock up until thawed. Gunslick is safe for this, but don't over lube.
    Stainless on stainless will gar if not lubed.
    Steel on steel can fuction without lube if needed without binding, but light Gunslick is still recommended.
    Don't go heavy on the firing pin, very light in this area.
    If in doubt, apply less lube. Over lubing causes more problems.

5. JSJPDX

JSJPDX East Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

Haven't had to buy any Gunslick for a while...a little bit goes a long way but I have seen it on the store shelves around town.

6. M67

M67 NW Oregon Active Member

Everyone seems to have an opinion as to what grease or oil is best, cheapest to use, etc...
    Here are a few of my thoughts about firearm lubrication.

Grease and oil have different applications and properties.

Oil is usually pumped between metal surfaces, such as bearings, but it will get between tight metal surfaces that grease would be hard to apply in such areas.

Grease is usually used between sliding metal surfaces.

Both grease and oil have a place in a firearms for lubrication and rust prevention.

As for grease freezing up, this is not much of a concern with modern synthetic grease. Take TW25B for an example, it works between -90° F to + 450° F. If your hunting in weather this cold, your tougher than i am. lol

On my handguns, i use grease on the frame rails, on the barrel and recoil guide rod, etc... I use oil in the other areas that are hard to get grease into and remove while cleaning.

I have found that since using grease on my firearms that cleaning after shooting is much easier and faster.
    Also grease stays where it is applied, while oil will run.

Here is a link to Sigforum about firearm lubrication you may find of use-

Flork's Lubrication Recommendation - Topic

7. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

8. Trailboss

Trailboss Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info M67, I wasn't aware that modern synthetic grease was good for such a range. As a kid, I would hunt with my brothers in temps down to -80 F with wind chill. Brutal weather for humans or mechanical devices. Was quite common for the guns to freeze up. Most of us carried a revolver inside our jackets just in case we lost use of the rifle. Had to use my S&W M29 44 Mag on more than one occasion.

9. PDXHero

PDXHero Beaverton, OR Member

On my P95 I only ever used oil on all the metal to metal parts and never had any issues.

10. Jvandyke13

Wow thanks for all the info guys.. When i was cleaning my rifles in the past i would put grease on the bolt and then oil on all the other moving parts. So like M67 said i will probably lightly oil the moving parts except where the metal on metal SLIDE in the frame and slide as well as the barrel and recoil springs. Glad to see how much info i can get in a small amount of time! Now i just gotta go get the grease haha

11. Jvandyke13

Update: Finally found some grease at Dick's Sporting Goods... They didnt have Gunslick, but they did have Hoppe's so i just went with that. Thanks for all the help!

12. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

I was just going to post this exact thing. I use CRC Synthetic Brake Caliper Grease. LINK TO THE GREASE WITH SPECIFICATIONS

13. Triplebuckshot

Triplebuckshot Northwest Oregon Member

Wind Chill does not effect mechanical devices or in our case Guns and Lube. Ambient temps surely do, but not wind chill. I have operated an M16, 1911 and 92fs at ambient temperatures of -50 while stationed for 9 years in Alaska. NOT FUN! hahahaha. I don't even know what the wind chill was to be honest, just STUPID cold.