JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What is the best method for getting brass and nickel plated cases really shiny?

I have purchased some brass online and frankly I'm disappointed. It's cleaned, but not really polished at all.

I'm buying a tumbler and would like to know the best products and step by step process to polish my cases.

Yeah, I'm picky. :)

Thanks!

I just tried the Flitz tumbler addative for the first time about 5 tumbles ago on both corn for straight cases and wallnut on rifle and was really happy with the outcome.The second time polishing the same brass took even less time for the same results.

Thanks!! :)

Is there any chance that the original cases have lacquer or something on them to preserve the shine? Sometimes the cases look like they have chipped fingernail polish or something on them. ??

Maybe I'm old school, but I use walnut media in an Olsen's vibratory tumbler and drizzle in a little Brasso, let it run 4-6 hours or so, super shiny results if that's what you want.

Maybe I'm old school, but I use walnut media in an Olsen's vibratory tumbler and drizzle in a little Brasso, let it run 4-6 hours or so, super shiny results if that's what you want.

I do that, but I rarely run it longer then 2 hr's. In fact I've been know to run it for as short as 30 minutes. Seems to me that most of the work gets done in the first 30 minutes with walnut shell media anyways. I used to use corn but the walnut shell seems to be more effecient.

I have always used walnut for a few hours to do the initial cleaning, and then run them for a while in corn with some brass polish added in.
Have been happy with the results.
I have also heard recently that if you toss in an old (or even new) drier sheet that will help then come out even better.
Plus it helps pull the dust out of the mix making it last longer.
Have not tried it yet but I am saving the sheets as it seems a simple thing to do.

I have tried walnut and corn with and without the additives and gave up and am now satisfied with dull but clean brass. I used to chuck the stuff up in a drill and polish it to a brite shine with brasso but the first time out of the rifle it was right back where it started. Cleaned dull brass shoots em into one hole just like the shinny stuff just doesnt look as professional. I guess the guys at the range will just have to say bad things about me when I beat the pants off them out to 1000 yds! Not only that 300 ultra mag brass uses too much brasso. Spend your time sizing and trimming and weighing your rounds and you will find shinny is overrated.

I have tried walnut and corn with and without the additives and gave up and am now satisfied with dull but clean brass. I used to chuck the stuff up in a drill and polish it to a brite shine with brasso but the first time out of the rifle it was right back where it started. Cleaned dull brass shoots em into one hole just like the shinny stuff just doesnt look as professional. I guess the guys at the range will just have to say bad things about me when I beat the pants off them out to 1000 yds! Not only that 300 ultra mag brass uses too much brasso. Spend your time sizing and trimming and weighing your rounds and you will find shinny is overrated.

Yep!

Yeah shiny is just cosmetic....clean is clean and they shoot the same. Some bench resters say that too shiny is less accurate (too slippery when things go boom), so there is that. To each his own here.....

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top