Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cleaning/polishing brass please?

Discussion in 'Ammunition & Reloading' started by Gunner3456, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

What is the best method for getting brass and nickel plated cases really shiny?

I have purchased some brass online and frankly I'm disappointed. It's cleaned, but not really polished at all.

I'm buying a tumbler and would like to know the best products and step by step process to polish my cases.

Yeah, I'm picky. :)

Thanks!

2. varmiter

varmiter orchards wa. Member

I just tried the Flitz tumbler addative for the first time about 5 tumbles ago on both corn for straight cases and wallnut on rifle and was really happy with the outcome.The second time polishing the same brass took even less time for the same results.

3. HappyRoman

HappyRoman Sherwood Forest Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Using a tumbler and leaving it on overnight has worked well for me.

4. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

i usually just leave mine on ovenite .. same as happyroman.... Don

5. Gunner3456

Gunner3456 Salem Well-Known Member

Thanks!! :)

Is there any chance that the original cases have lacquer or something on them to preserve the shine? Sometimes the cases look like they have chipped fingernail polish or something on them. ??

6. DSbur

DSbur Vancouver WA Member

Maybe I'm old school, but I use walnut media in an Olsen's vibratory tumbler and drizzle in a little Brasso, let it run 4-6 hours or so, super shiny results if that's what you want.

7. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

I do that, but I rarely run it longer then 2 hr's. In fact I've been know to run it for as short as 30 minutes. Seems to me that most of the work gets done in the first 30 minutes with walnut shell media anyways. I used to use corn but the walnut shell seems to be more effecient.

8. roguebowhunter

roguebowhunter medford Member

i have aa ?? i have some older brass that has weathered (turned dark) is there a way to get that back .. i've tried polish to no avail . they get clean but still dark ... Don

9. or.hunter

or.hunter Newberg, Oregon Gold Supporter Gold Supporter

I have always used walnut for a few hours to do the initial cleaning, and then run them for a while in corn with some brass polish added in.
    Have been happy with the results.
    I have also heard recently that if you toss in an old (or even new) drier sheet that will help then come out even better.
    Plus it helps pull the dust out of the mix making it last longer.
    Have not tried it yet but I am saving the sheets as it seems a simple thing to do.

10. the4thshake

the4thshake Portland Active Member

I use the walnut shell from the pet store. It works well but is a little dusty. I'll have to give the drier sheet a try.

11. swampertwo

swampertwo Just moved to Olympic peninsula!! Active Member

Walnut shell is for cleaning, corncob (and polish additive) is for polishing the cases.
    I think both are available at pet stores and WalMart.
    I normally run mine a couple of hours or so.

12. TonsOfOregonBrass

TonsOfOregonBrass Sandy, OR Active Member

We use ultrasonic, doesnt shine them as well, but takes less time and gets the whole case clean, including the primer pockets, inside, necks, you name it and it looks good.

13. therifleman

therifleman kennewick Member

I have tried walnut and corn with and without the additives and gave up and am now satisfied with dull but clean brass. I used to chuck the stuff up in a drill and polish it to a brite shine with brasso but the first time out of the rifle it was right back where it started. Cleaned dull brass shoots em into one hole just like the shinny stuff just doesnt look as professional. I guess the guys at the range will just have to say bad things about me when I beat the pants off them out to 1000 yds! Not only that 300 ultra mag brass uses too much brasso. Spend your time sizing and trimming and weighing your rounds and you will find shinny is overrated.

14. NK777

NK777 West of Portland Member

Yep!

15. ehunter

ehunter Hilllsboro Oregon Member

Drier sheets work well I bought some cheap ones from the dollar store its amazing how black they are when your done.

16. johnboy

johnboy Hillsboro Member

Yeah shiny is just cosmetic....clean is clean and they shoot the same. Some bench resters say that too shiny is less accurate (too slippery when things go boom), so there is that. To each his own here.....