JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I spotted these on Amazon. I've never heard of them before, but they are highly rated. I'm just wondering if any of the airgunners here have had a chance to try them. If so, what do you think?

41osLt%2BgXJL.jpg

41QhM5vx6zL.jpg

I was looking at some myself, but then I thought,
what am I cleaning out of there?:rolleyes:

I guess the barrels could pick up some lead...:eek:

No success finding a cleaning rod for .177 either....:(

I've found some .177 cleaning kits on Ebay for about $10. I always clean a new gun since they tend to oil up the barrel. And yes, the will foul up with lead residue, which is why I'm curious if these work. Seems like a more fun way to clean :)

I have used them for years and the few that I've recovered did have some fouling visible. On the advice of the dealer that I bought them from I shoot 2-3 at a time to avoid damaging the piston/cylinder. A danger in powerful spring piston air guns. I also have an RWS .177 cleaning rod, a nice tool.

I have used them for years and the few that I've recovered did have some fouling visible. On the advice of the dealer that I bought them from I shoot 2-3 at a time to avoid damaging the piston/cylinder. A danger in powerful spring piston air guns. I also have an RWS .177 cleaning rod, a nice tool.

I read that it's good to send the first one or two runs sprayed with some gun cleaner, followed by some dry ones - repeating until they come out clean. Did you do that?

The 2-3 at a time recommendation is a good point.

Yes, they work very well.. for cleaning and protecting.
They are sure convenient (though I have a .177 rod) for cleaning and lubing the bore prior to storing the gun for some period of time.
I also use two and sometimes re-use them.. fire them into/at an old towel from about five feet.
Get them! I've used them for about thirty years.. one box will last a long, long time.
I use that Teflon Remington lube in an aerosol to spritz the felts prior to firing and have never had a gun diesel.

Thanks Certaindeaf! I can't believe I just found these yesterday. Sounds like they've been around a long time, I just never encountered them before. I've added one of each (.177 and .22) to my Amazon cart to go out with my next order. Good suggestion on using the towel to catch them and reuse them.

Some of the old rod type cleaning kits used to come with a box (and a whole bunch of other stuff.. do you have oiling needles?) is probably the reason I've known of them for a long time.
And then the Beeman catalogues of the time.
You'll like them!

I don't have oiling needles - I think I've seen them though. All I've ever had or known was the old school "pellgun" oil. Do I need an oiling needle? How do you use it?

Back in the day, I never thought about or bothered with, cleaning my airguns. But they were all low end types anyway. Now that I've added some nicer models, I want to take proper care of them like I do my powder guns.

I think I've got three kinds of Beeman oils.. Spring, Chamber and Moly.. I use the Moly the most. They'll all last forever and the needles (four inch long hollow steel very narrow diameter needles) screw to the tops of the oil bottles. They are pretty neat and useful.

Here's a pic of two and they are stored/come in that little plastic cylinder to their right.
They have little plastic storage protectors over the tips so you don't damage them/stab yourself with them (though the tips are flat).

dsc09253.jpg_thumbnail0.jpg

That's a nice kit. My .177 cleaning kit was just a bargain deal on Ebay - it works though. I may have to track down some of those oiling needles, that could be helpful.

Also, if you want to stick with the lube/s you have, those needles will work perfectly from/with things like Visine bottles and or such.. that's pretty much the way they are designed.. to self tap onto plastic necks just like that perfectly. anyway.. I find them useful

Anyone else find that "PellGun" oil will not stay in the
tube, no matter how tight it is?:mad:

I find I have to leave any that have been opened standing
up to prevent them leaking. :oops: :(

Wasteful and expensive...:(

I read that it's good to send the first one or two runs sprayed with some gun cleaner, followed by some dry ones - repeating until they come out clean. Did you do that?

The 2-3 at a time recommendation is a good point.

I've used everything from brake clean to rubbing alcohol. Ive never had to use more than one set of two or three dry ones. I leave the bore dry unless I'm storing the rifle.

After all, it is a barrel and any good solvent will work to clean.. from mineral spirits to Hoppes.. then it might need protecting, depending on storage time/conditions. They do get fouled and perhaps leaded to a very slight degree.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top