Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Cleaning my gun

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Gunsmithing' started by uban77, Mar 25, 2011.

1. uban77

uban77 Maui, HI. Luck favors the prepared.

What is the best, low cost, way to clean my S&W M&P? Remember the M&P is not all metal. And the best oil too. Can spray? Baths? Oil that can bind with the metals? CLP's which one? Strike hold or Breakfree?

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  2. Schwabdl

Schwabdl Hillsboro Active Member

clp

3. supergenius

supergenius 206 Active Member

G96

4. Mica

Mica Eugene Active Member

been useing clp for years. not to mention are supply seargent always had a shelf full per request of unit armorer.

5. uban77

uban77 Maui, HI. Luck favors the prepared.

I found this
    * PerfectUnion Firearms Forum > General > Product Reviews
    Rust protection products compared

6. gunfreak

gunfreak Boise Well-Known Member

Birchwood Casey sells a plastic friendly gunscrubber, got mine at bi-mart.

7. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

CRC electra clean.

8. MountainBear

MountainBear Sweet Home, OR Well-Known Member

Hoppe's No. 9, a toothbrush, and some Butch's Gun Oil (or Breakfree, depends on what I have around the shop)...

9. gdoug1976

gdoug1976 Vancouver, Washington, United States Member

I use mpro7 I used it while in iraq on my m4. I never had any problems with the function of my weapon and as for lube i would use a tetra products. I still use both on all my personal weapons. as for strike hold people when i was in iraq used it and they had problems with coating and kind of baking their weapons and alot of major malfunctions like the bolts would seize up

10. RallySoob

RallySoob Salem, OR Active Member

I'm a CLP/Slip 2000 man myself. I use graphite powder to 'lube' my mags too

11. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

I clean all my guns in the utility sink with a pair of neoprene rubber gloves, hot water, old toothbrushes and plastic bore brushes using hand dish washing detergent.. then clean the bores with normal solvents and oil the gun with synthetic motor oil or sometimes, CLP

I use teflon type drying lube inside the mag bodies and wipe the springs down with synthetic motor oil

The hot water dries very fast but you may want to use a compressor or your Superman breath to blow out the recesses, and an old cotton rag to dry the parts off. This method is especially useful for corrosive ammo shooters

12. ogre

ogre Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Best and low cost too? Make yourself a batch of "Ed's Red" to clean you weapon and store it a brown or duct taped glass jug (to keep the light out.) For an outstanding and inexpensive gun oil use automotive transmission fluid.

13. TheDogFather

TheDogFather Bellingham, WA Member

My local gunsmith said all he uses is CLP. He did say to avoid RemOil like the plague.

14. turq

turq Molino,oregon Member

Hey Supergenius where can I get some G96?

I love the smell of this stuff. My can is in the sputtering stage.

15. Ben Beckerich

Ben Beckerich NW Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

since ATF (transexual fluid) eats nylon and pretty much anything else that isn't steel, i pretty much recoil any time anyone suggests somebody use it on their guns.

could be i'm just sensitive since i often find myself hanging dozens to hundreds of feet above a splatter by nothing more than a thin piece of nylon... but i'd also rather not have holes eaten through my holsters, pants, belts, jackets, seatbelts, seat covers, etc.

16. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

YouTube - Stop! Or MY Mom Will Shoot Part 2

17. drew

drew OR Well-Known Member

18. SnapShot

SnapShot walla walla Member

ive been on a sentry solutions kick for a while .... Sentry Solutions | On guard against corrosion, friction and wear

used their smooth kote, and bp 2000, and their tough cloth.

i grew up on cleaning powder residue and stuff out with Hopps #9 , then if ya wanted to really remove some copper fowling use some sweets 7.62 (as directed), then i use the smoothkote, and tough cloth for lube and protect. ....

CLP . does most of these pretty well... and if i had only one of these products it would be that one. but i do think hopps is a better powder remover, sweetes does a bang up job on copper fowling, which hopps dosent quite get so easy, i like the easy application with the tough cloth,

i like the boresnakes for my pistols, easy and quick way to clean.