JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I use vinegar for rust removal on excessively rusted steel though. Like old barn finds or tools. or badly rusted gun parts. Works very well. Not sure I would want to ultrasonic or soak for long any part that does not need major derusting. Rinse thoroughly, oil immediately, degrease before, paint or reblueing . Will remove blueing.

The Sierra manual specifically cautions against using Brasso or any product containing ammonia for cleaning. I know some use vinegar, usually diluated 1:2 with water. I just use water, dish soap and a bit of Lemishine.

I know vinegar works pretty good on thin sliced fresh cucumber and red onions. Dash of salt and pepper.

The NRA published a formula for using vinegar to clean brass. If I recall correctly it included water, vinegar, salt and soap or detergent. Sorry, you'll have to search for the amounts. I've used it with good results. You will need to decap cases first for the best effect. You can do cases in bulk. On the downside it is messy, cases need to be rinsed and dried thoroughly, and there is a vinegar odor. Rifle brass is slower to dry.

Would I use it again, sure. It is effective but slow due to drying time.

5.7 re-loaders do their best to keep things less stringent in order to preserve the lacquer on shells as best as possible.
Simple green works great for 5.7 brass.

I've seen some good results online with brass, and ultrasonic cleaning with vinegar. Any thoughts on this for stainless parts as well?
I would be very careful with vinegar. I use it to remove bluing on guns prior to refinishing.

I only use eezox for cleaning. Ester-based. Bonds to the metal similar to ballistol leaving a dry line film that lubricates and resists fingerprints. Does not smell like ballistol thank goodness. Let carbon etc soak in coating of eezox for 15 minutes prior to removing it.

Vinegar will clean badly fouled bores....but....
Also as noted above it will remove rust , bluing and browning .
Be advised that if left on for an extended time... Vinegar can also cause pits.

I use it at times ( sparingly ) for the cleaning of old and neglected muzzle loading firearm bores....
But I will also then "clean" the bore afterwards to remove the vinegar...as it can create more problems if it is left on the metal.
Andy

As a rinse vinegar probably isn't too bad...however:

I made my own wood stain by dissolving different metals in white vinegar....steel, copper...it all dissolves when left in a jar over a few days. So be careful.

As a rinse vinegar probably isn't too bad...however:

I made my own wood stain by dissolving different metals in white vinegar....steel, copper...it all dissolves when left in a jar over a few days. So be careful.
Interesting statement. I just put a couple pieces of brass in a jar and covered with vinegar. Small steel screw too, for funsies. I'll check in a couple days and see what happened :D

Interesting statement. I just put a couple pieces of brass in a jar and covered with vinegar. Small steel screw too, for funsies. I'll check in a couple days and see what happened :D

Let me know how the experiment turns out. This is a jar of vinegar/steel wool and the end result on some pine.

Vinegar has many uses but I'd probably not use any on my own guns

F5C145A6-CCF9-454C-9443-7F829824B00A.jpeg E3BA5EDD-2C85-46CC-939D-51FB975F3DF7.jpeg

I use vinegar for rust removal on excessively rusted steel though. Like old barn finds or tools. or badly rusted gun parts. Works very well. Not sure I would want to ultrasonic or soak for long any part that does not need major derusting. Rinse thoroughly, oil immediately, degrease before, paint or reblueing . Will remove blueing.

For rust removal, Evapo-Rust is amazing. More expensive than vinegar, but it does a better job and doesn't smell like vinegar.

For rust removal, Evapo-Rust is amazing. More expensive than vinegar, but it does a better job and doesn't smell like vinegar.

[/URL]
I'm sure that is slick stuff in its own right.
Since Vinegar has been a much used, effective, and multifaceted workhorse for at least 60 of my over 70 years, I'll stick with that for whatever time I have left. that said you may find this admittedly unscientific but earnest test worth while:
(I hope the link comes through)

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads