JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
skydiver sells walnut and corncob super cheap. You can get two 3.5 gallon buckets full one of each media corn cob and extra fine walnut shell for 30 bucks - screamin' deal.

<broken link removed>
this is what I have been using... first the walnut, and run through all the brass... then dump and put in corn cop and rerun everything... I will try that cleaning method that is mentioned above... AMProducts... and see how that works on my return run from the range... For me, its not how shinny it is, but how clean it is and ready for shooting... I see a lot of pretty & shinny 4x4's on the road, I don't see them in the dirt being used though.... :)

What about the media additives from Dillon Precision?

It's expensive, but thus far it's the best consumer "brass polish" I've ever used, It has a bit of wax in it, so it leaves behind a protective layer, keeping the brass from tarnishing. If you start having issues with dull looking brass after a few runs through, just add some mineral spirits and it tends to reactivate the media/polish.

Here's what I use:

<broken link removed>

That's 40lbs for less than $24 DELIVERED.

This will probably last the rest of my life...

Yea, I buy all my media at the local blasting place. I usually stick with 20-40 Fine media as it's so small it rarely gets trapped in flash-holes. The next mesh size up (larger grain size) is 16-20, which works pretty good, but like I said, sticks in flash holes.

Be careful when using pet-bedding anything, as it's frequently too coarse, this is really only an issue when you are doing one of the small bottleneck cartridges like .223 remington. When I first dabbled with using the pet bedding, I ruined a whole lot of .223, but my .45 and .308 came out just fine. Once I went over to using commercial blasting medias (the place I deal with will sell me everything from ceramics, to walnut, to shot, to corncob, all at wholesale prices) I have not even looked back. I think even the pet bedding is kinda pricey compared to the blasting media methods.

I just bought some new equipment, and I am switching over to ceramic media in a wet process. Should be interesting.

I deprime after I tumble so even if media was sticking in the flash holes (which it doesn't in my case), the depriming pin would clear the flash hole. I've used walnut pet media from PETCO (it was about $12 per 8lb bag) and it worked fine for me...and lasted over a year with my tumbler running almost daily.

I have no desire to "wash" my brass using wet tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners, especially when most who switch to wet methods do so because they think dry tumbling is too messy...as compared to wet tumbling with customized solutions, and the hassle of drying out their brass afterwards...really???

Dry tumbling works fine for me...

When it comes to cleaning brass, I'm all about results. I want my ammo to look as good as new, wet tumbling, washing, and other processes do a lot to improve the quality of the ammo I produce, are easier on my machines (reduces die scratching). I still use a tumbler as my last process before loading. Also, I pay about $16/50lbs of media, you may want to look for a blasting shop near you...

I think we're probably getting to the skinning the cat phase of this thread.

For years I used a vibratory tumbler with corn media and a drop or two of Flitz media additive. Cases came out shiny on the outside, but had to check each flash hole for stuck media when they were done. It's still an effective way to clean cases.

Recently, I switched to stainless tumbling media (fine stainless wire shot) in a Thumler tumbler. With a 3000 rpm motor, I can clean ~ 3 lbs of brass in 4 hours. I add 2 Tbspns of Dawn detergent, and 1/4 Tspn of Lemi-Shine, and cases come out looking new...outside, inside, and primer pockets. It makes a huge difference when you're trying to monitor powder charge because the cases are bright and shiny on the inside, rather than dull and dirty. I use a food dehydrator I picked up at a garage sale for $5 to dry cases. I only need to use it in the winter, because in the summer time you can lay them out in the sun.

There are some websites that have more information, so do a google search and watch some of the videos. The results are amazing.

I use a vibratory cleaner. It has a combo of fine Walnut and corn cob with a little Wrights Silver polish. It's currently very well used and about to be replaced.

1. I throw all my cases in the bowl and run it for about 3-4 hours.

2. I use a plastic freezer container with 1/4" holes punched in the bottom to shift out the medium from the brass.

3. Using a Lee Primer punch (from a Lee Loader kit) I manually punch out all the primers I also sort the brass for condition at this time.

4. Using a small dremel wire brush mounted in a rechargable drill I scrape clean all the primer pockets. Only takes a couple seconds.

5. I now toss the brass back into the Vibrator and give it 3-8 hours more (depending on the brass's condition and how many cases I have in the bowl.

6. Again I shift out the medium.

7. The brass is placed mouth down in a loading block so I can see the primer hole. should any media be stuck in a primer hole I clear it.

The brass is now ready for a roll on the lube pad and sizing/belling.

After sizing and belling I wash the lube off by placing the brass in a tupperware container with Dawn dish soap and some spray HD citrus cleaner. I use as Hot of water as the tap offers. I use a noodle strainer and rinse the soap maybe a dozen times to make sure no residue remains.

After the wash the brass is placed mouth up on a sht of 1/8" thick Aluminum and placed on top of the wood pellet stove to dry. During the summer I place it in the kitchen oven at 150-200 degrees for 45 min.

There are two options to the media stuck in flashole problems, use media that's larger, or smaller than the flash hole. the 20-40# mesh I use doesn't get stuck in the flash holes.

I'm really thinking about trying this stainless media, but it's too damned expensive I would probably need to order 50-100 lbs of it to fill my tumbler. I'm probably going to buy some ceramic media next time I head down to the blasting shop, I may also just buy a few large spools of small ga stainless wire and set my cold header up to just cut it into slugs for me, run it with some ceramic media to break the edges and try that out.

Lots of good options as discussed. I'll add a couple more.

Washing gives good results. I have found that Bar Keeper's Friend in very hot water does a great job. Also tried the washing machine, but never found a reliable bag to hold them in there. Lizard litter in the tumbler as stared is as good as any.

bkf.jpg

That actually looks like some good stuff. I usually use CLR, vinegar, or occasionally dilute sulfuric acid for cleaning brass. Any acid that will dissolve the lead and carbon build up on the inside of brass will restore it to a more original condition.

The MSDS sheet says BKF contains oxalic acid, which is a great bleaching and washing acid. Material Safety Data Sheets - Bar Keepers Friend

I'll have to try it next time I'm doing a cleaning run. CLR is getting expensive.

Not to revive this thread too much, but wanted to post pics of my new brass tumbler.

I was once told by a careful observer that my family motto should be "go big or go home". Here's my tumbler along with my coworker.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top