JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Is there anything special about cleaning revolvers compared to semi autos? My boss has an H&R 22 revolver that was handed down to him by his grandpa when he passed. It sat in the box for about 20-30 years. He finally took possession of it feels all gummy. The double action is very stiff, even cocking the hammer too. I'm not familiar with revolvers but this seems a little excessive. Also the cylinder doesn't spin very freely. Is it just a matter of degreasing everything, blow drying it and lubing?
I know the grips come off to expose a spring. It looks very similar to this one. Stainless and looks almost perfect. Not sure if it's a model 923

H&R923LEFT.jpg

I would perform a complete disassembly, clean/degrease with non-chlorinated Brakleen, lube and reassemble.
After that basic cleaning after shooting.
A few years ago I took in trade an early, 4" M-15 Smith that was virtually locked up. I performed the above and it was basically a new gun!

Last Edited:
I wouldn't rush to use brakekleen, but yes, if you do, make sure it's non chlorinated.

I too would recommend a degrease and re lube, all over. Oil, especially older stuff, does get gummy with age/storage, so i'm not surprised it feels this way.

I would caution doing a full disassembly on that one. ( unless your familiar with it) There are a couple springs that are pretty fragile. And hard to replace.
If you have an ultra sonic cleaner I would remove the grips and run it thru a few cycles. Then dip the whole thing in water displacing oil.

Thank you all for the input. I do not have an ultrasonic cleaner so I will just degrease, I will start with hoppes, probably get it good and wet. Move all the actions to work the hoppes in. The dry it and lube it. I know with many rimfires it's not safe to dry fire, is this the same way or is it ok to dry fire to work the action?

It looks like you remove the base pin and cylinder to load/unload.. could probably safely drop the hammer a few times with the cylinder removed.

Take the grips off, open the cylinder, put it in the top rack of the dishwasher and run a cycle. (By itself not with the dishes, you know, unless you're into that sort of thing). Do not use detergent. Then just lube as needed. With semi-autos, same thing but remove the slide and barrel assembly. No problems with my 1911, Kahr or SP101. Guns are tools, not princesses.

I'm GTG with all the suggestions except using BraKleen. That stuff is great for cleaning up your brake drums but it's hella hard on pretty much any finish or plating. Degreaser, sure, but not Brakleen.

If it's going to be shot, a trip to a gunsmith for inspection probably isn't a bad idea.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top