JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I just got a Marlin 336 .30-30, my first lever action rifle. How often do I need to clean it? I put 18 rounds through it at the range the other night. Is it time, or can I go longer?

I'm still getting the hang of all of this. I have more experience with semi-auto handguns, which I regularly put +100 rounds through before cleaning. With .22lr's, I can even do +200 rounds.

Just wanting to take care of my rifles. Thanks for any information.

-Dave

I have heard three theories on when to clean a gun.

1. Only clean the gun when it begins to malfunction. This allows you to know the limits of the gun.
2. A clean gun is a happy gun. Clean after each time it is used.
3. Clean it when it gets good and dirty.

I fall in the 2nd camp for almost all of my guns. A clean gun is a happy gun and makes a happy shooter. If it is something I will carry, I definately clean it thoroughly and make sure they are running well. Who doesn't like the smell of gun oil, right?

For items that I hunt with I will sight it in and only clean it after hunting season. I am concerned that taking them apart will somehow throw them off. Maybe that is just bunk, but thats the way I roll...

As an old Army Master Sgt., keep your weapon clean all the time, before you shoot it and after you shoot it.

You never know when you'll need your weapon to shoot on target, so don't be lazy clean it and it will clean up for you.

Master Sgt. Marshall Tall Eagle

Burned powder and lead residue is just something to hold moisture and promote rust, weapons tear-down was always a ritual with my buddies after the day of shooting, keeps you from getting bored and gives you time to gloat on good sets/plan the next trip.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top