JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I saw some bronze-phosphor brushes the other day at the store and that made me think if using them would be safe compared to possibly stiff nylon brushes. I thought someone here may be able to shine some light on this issue.
I understand that the bronze brushes are not that stiff, but wouldn't they even leave fine scratches on the inside of the barrel unless you have them wrapped in a patch or something?

Phosphor Bronze brushes are softer than steel and cannot scratch the bore on your rifle. Some of the deposits in the barrel can however scratch it. Best to use a wet patch through the barrel first to remove the bulk, then continue with a new patch or bronze brush. Works well and keeps the barrel wear down. Oh, I avoid the bore snake type of barrel swab because they do scratch the barrel with the built up crud embedded in the snake.

When I was shooting lead wad-cutter through my 45 I would often wrap a piece of steel wool around the brush. Removed all the lead fouling and never once left a defect in the barrel. It will take quite a bit to put a scratch into that barrel.

This is a post I did a while back.

I know people who shoot lead from glocks without problems. I shoot a M&P .40, cast and load my own ammo. After I shoot a few hundred rounds I put a mag of lacketed through it and most of the lead is gone. I also clean with these brushes. Order them through Bi-Mart, ask to see the all sports catalog. You'll get 2 for the same price as what brownells cost. TORNADO BRUSHES - Brownells

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top