JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My gosh. So I just bought a used XDM 5.25 competition in .45acp from a guy on gunbroker. I was pretty tickled with the price, and the guys at the Pawn Shop (ffl) agreed that I stole it, but when I got home and took it apart..........

I think this guy must've gone straight from the gunshop to the range with it and shot the dirtiest ammo possible. After scrubbing for a while it got to where the chamber loaded indicator wouldn't come back down because there was so much crap in there. There was so much carbon on the extractor that I am amazed that it was still working, if it was. I finally soaked everything in bore cleaner then transferred it to some steaming hot water in the sink. You wouldn't believe the size of the chunks coming out of that thing. Anyway, after a couple rounds and a lot of toothpicks (I like to use toothpicks to get the corners and knooks rather than metal picks) I finally have the sweet pistol I thought I was buying.

The sad thing is that the seller probably thought this was a horrible gun, I can't imagine it ran very well. It really looked like somebody way over oiled it and shot a lot of rounds through. If he'd only taken the time to clean it, maybe just before selling, he might've realized the problem.

Anyway, my plan is to replace the barrel with a .460 Rowland. That way I can still shoot .45acp, but switch to .44 magnum power whenever I need/want to. Seems like the best of every world to me. One thing that will need to be addressed is the trigger. I have an XDm9 that I put in a Powder River Trigger kit into years ago and guess I am spoiled. The new guns trigger feels very spongy with a really long reset and over travel.

THANK YOU! I've purchased more than a few used firearms and man'o man are they dirty..
Everytime I take one down I think to myself: "I must be the only guy who cleans his firearms, well."

I've picked up a couple of rifles and little .22s and the sellers thought they were junk.. but they were just really dirty.

I am not a bit surprise about this, I know gun owners out there that doesn't know that they are supposed to clean their weapon after firing. I have have encountered this on more than one occasion, you two gentleman are correct, some gun owners think that they had a crappy weapon not realizing how dirty there weapons were.

My reaction:

Facepalm

Guess it's a good way for guys like us to pick up some diamonds in the rough. I will say it is exciting for me to sometimes bring home a rust bucket or sad looking gun and just see what I can do with it. I don't make enough money or have the time or knowledge needed to restore cars (which I would love to do), but guns I can do. Heck, that's just time and patience. And enough research to make sure you don't get anyone killed.

I once bought a Stihl chainsaw from a guy at a garage sale that claimed it was the biggest piece of junk he had ever owned.
Looked like new. Paid $25.00 cash, went home and turned the bar chain around. Still have it.

I recently traded one of my Glocks with another member on this board. Unfortunately due to our schedules I never got a chance to clean it before trading, I felt a little embarrassed really. My last range trip was in December-ish and I really had no excuse for not cleaning my gun after, except I was just so busy and never got around to it. I wanted to clean it before trading but our schedules never worked out and I had to trade it dirty and felt pretty bad.

I once bought a Stihl chainsaw from a guy at a garage sale that claimed it was the biggest piece of junk he had ever owned.
Looked like new. Paid $25.00 cash, went home and turned the bar chain around. Still have it.

Bwahahahahaha.... that is especially funny to me as I did a stint as a gypo logger.

I recently traded one of my Glocks with another member on this board. Unfortunately due to our schedules I never got a chance to clean it before trading, I felt a little embarrassed really. My last range trip was in December-ish and I really had no excuse for not cleaning my gun after, except I was just so busy and never got around to it. I wanted to clean it before trading but our schedules never worked out and I had to trade it dirty and felt pretty bad.

Meh, dirty or not I bet that Glock still works like a fine sewing machine! That reminds me, I should clean my G30.

Ive been fightin a copper fouled 7mm mag barrel for a month now got it at pawn shop will not group with two different scopes on it free floated the barrel adjusted the trigger and soaked the barrel must have run a hundred patches thru it all came out green gonna go for round two this weekend and hope it shoots after that

Meh, dirty or not I bet that Glock still works like a fine sewing machine! That reminds me, I should clean my G30.

Yes sir it ran like a champ, never any FTF/FTE and ate all types of ammo. I had an older Glock 17 that I ran over 1400 rounds through (which isn't all that much really) without cleaning, no issues whatsoever, no FTF/FTE. I did clean it eventually though!

O.K. I gotta say it. Back in the 80s I had a mini-14 that I owned for about 7 months. Bought new never cleaned or lubed. Shot a couple hundred rounds through it myself
then lent it to a friend with instructions to shoot it as much as he wanted, probably a couple hundred more. Got a chance to shoot a few hundred rds again myself then sold it. New owner took it out and shot a couple hundred through it again. NEVER CLEANED OR LUBED! NO MALFUNCTIONS! Lost touch with him but I got the impression this treatment could go on forever. I've since bought a newer model mini and clean it but feel it's not needed. BTW at least 1000 rds no malfunctions yet.
O.K. time for the Mini haters to say what they say.

My Glocks & Remmington Shotgun could never be cleaned and run just fine, but still get cleaned anyways. The rest definitely need to be cleaned after firing.

I don't understand why people wouldn't want to maintain and care for their weapons. I clean all my weapons after firing, and any that haven't been used for 6 months also get a basic clean & protect.

-Satchel

I usually pre-clean all used guns with brakeclean first. It is great for getting out the caked in junk and oil oil and grease. I also use it on new guns to remove all petro products before the first application of FrogLube.

Love the chainsaw story ;^)

some guns can take the abuse.....I have owned a Stevens model 67E 12ga for 30ish years, its been stored on my cabin cruiser and used to dispatch Mako shark for the barbecue, or shoot skeet off the boat waiting for the mako's

this was before guns became a hobby, its been completely orange with surface rust several times & the stock is cracked where it bolts up to the receiver and it was NEVER cleaned :s0131: I have put thousands of rounds thru that old gun, but decided it was time to retire the Stevens to light duty, its now chopped refinished & pistol grip & is my home defense 12ga...it was cleaned well when I repurposed the gun:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top