JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Guys,

I was out at the Timber Road Junction lanes today, which was looking pretty bad, and Jason Rautenkranz of the Department of Forestry approached me while I was plinking. We talked for almost 20-30 minutes about the cleanup we held at Wolf Creek last year, holding similar cleanups this year, and a handful of other topics. I told him I would post here to start up a conversation again.

Mostly we discussed spreading the word on keeping shooting areas clean and such. We both agreed that we need to educate on a broader scale and get more involved. It sounds like the Department of Forestry is really ramping up to get something organized and work with us shooters to get more involved and try and keep Tillamook State Forrest available for our recreational uses.

I know Cogs (Bill) and Bolus have worked very closely with the Department and it sounds like they are looking to continue working closely with this group.

I am going to call him tomorrow and see if I can get a formal flyer, like the one he handed to me today, and head over to Sportsmans off 185 and talk with Matt the manager and see if they would start handing out flyers with new gun sales at the gun counter and possibly at the front registers.

Jason brought up the idea of having a booth at the local gun shows as well, either manned by the Department, or cooperatively with our group.

I know members here were manning some of the more popular entry points throughout the summer, but it gets harder during the wet season. Maybe we can organize something along the lines of a "hey I am going out today I'll check these lanes and hand out flyers" type thread?

There are more and more shooters joining our hobby each day. The usual places like Timber Junction, Wolf Creek and Brown's Camp are getting more and more popular. Almost to the point where we should just start broadcasting them as an actual range maybe. In Nevada, my homeland, there was an open range. This range was a designated area, where people could go and shoot, freely, no range marshal or anything. However was heavily monitored and rules where enforced. Garbage was very minimal and the range is till this day in great shape. Perhaps we can start down this route in hopes to better maintain shooting lanes?

Just some thoughts I would throw out there.

Feel free to chime in. 2016 just started, I look forward to being a part of this and ensuring we can keep shooting in the state forrest lands for many years to come!

Forgot to mention that we may need to organize a clean up soon for the two lanes off Timber Junction. They are looking pretty bad. I got 2 garbage bags of most of the plastic I could pick up, but noticed at least 3 tires and a mattress in the 1st lane...

I'll bring that up when taking with Jason tomorrow.

I'm planning about 3 'Official' clean ups this year for Tillamook that will start mid-to-end of March. Next will be about 3 months from then. Schedule to be posted soon. (We'll also be having about 3 clean ups for Mt Hood, and 3 for WA DNR). If we try for 2 or 3 clean ups each month, we won't get much attendance after the first one or two. It's really a lot better (more fun) when we have a larger group. Hope to BBQ at each one this year.

We are currently putting together the equipment for an Information booth for Tillamook Forest. Should be ready to go soon. Still need a couple physical items and most importantly, NWFA printed material. For now, we may have to just use ODF fliers until we can add ours to the mix.

I need to find a couple people who will head up the Tillamook project, recruit helpers, schedule booth days and spread fliers to sporting goods stores and outdoor stores on the West side. Would be great to do at least 1 booth per month. Two even better. I live way NE of the Tillamook forest, in Washougal, WA, and can't get out there or get involved on a regular basis.

I'm hoping to encourage folks to just post an invite to go shoot and clean up. I think we can get a lot done that way. Gotta figure a way to get fliers in their hands when they go. I also like that idea of leaving behind a sign that Bolus did last year... This site cleaned up by NWFA.
This site has been cleaned up by.jpeg

Last Edited:
Three of 'em. But it took a while before they got there! I'm thinking it may have lasted longer if we would have put a pic of the American Flag on it. Most folks don't like to shoot the flag!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top