JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know I'm new here and I should probly mind my business until I have a few more posts and interactions with other members. But what's up with the classified section of this forum. Members should be able to delete a thread once the item is sold or traded. I also feel, to keep it fresh, listings in the classified section should be limited to 90 days, then automatically deleted. I mean, I responded to and old listing and emailed the OP. He replied the firearm had been sold months ago. Note the thread is still active today. I feel that items that don't sell/trade in 90 days aren't that interesting to the members. And members can always relist the item if it doesn't sell/trade. Should be an easy fix. Any thoughts? Thanks for listening, Ben

Ben,
Sounds like he did not close his ad as he should have. It is the sellers responsibility to close/delete the ad and lately it seems to be an increasing problem along with premature bumping.

I am quite sure you are going to hear some more on the subject.

I still don't see the need to close- THAT'S WHAT PM'S ARE FOR. The only posts in an ad should be legitimate questions not answered in first post- which the seller SHOULD UPDATE THE FIRST POST TO ANSWER, or a Bump after 7 days or a post saying I'll take it.

Auto delete ads- yeah bad idea as many things don't sell in 90 days. And I'm still against deleting ads for the fact is leaves a baseline of what to ask.

Ads remain to give an idea of what the market is asking/paying as well as to increase our search engine traffic.

Ads need to be closed by the seller to let others know the item has been sold. Sellers should NOT reply to their ads to let people it has been sold, but simply close the ad.

I know I'm new here and I should probly mind my business until I have a few more posts and interactions with other members. But what's up with the classified section of this forum. Members should be able to delete a thread once the item is sold or traded. I also feel, to keep it fresh, listings in the classified section should be limited to 90 days, then automatically deleted. I mean, I responded to and old listing and emailed the OP. He replied the firearm had been sold months ago. Note the thread is still active today. I feel that items that don't sell/trade in 90 days aren't that interesting to the members. And members can always relist the item if it doesn't sell/trade. Should be an easy fix. Any thoughts? Thanks for listening, Ben

Hello Ben and welcome. We actually require that sold item threads be closed by the original poster. If you see a thread like your example use the report feature button in the lower left side of every post, it looks like a triangle with an exclamation point in it. We review and take action on every reported post.

Hello Ben and welcome. We actually require that sold item threads be closed by the original poster. If you see a thread like your example use the report feature button in the lower left side of every post, it looks like a triangle with an exclamation point in it. We review and take action on every reported post.

I'm telling you all, all great reasons for leaving a classified posted forever. If all the members were responsible and closed them when sold or traded. But that's not happening. I just PM ed two and emailed one, all active listings and all replied the items were gone. One of the post is over a year and a half old. Here's a thought, how about a "sort by" option, like, date listed, open listing, closed listing, distance, price. Then the members that want to know what things are going for, can check the "closed listings", and the members that want to buy items go to the "open listings" don't have to sort through the closed items. I'm still sicking with the 90 day listing idea. Prices and values change, and will probly change in 90 days. A firearm worth $1000 today could be worth $800 or $1200 in 90 days. I was thinking about listing an item for sale, but without the ability to delete the listing for any reason, I chose not too. Ben

YOu don't have to "delete" it per se. You can go in and edit the content so it's a blank ad, and close it at the same time. It doesn't bump it, and it shows up as an empty post. No big deal.

I got to tell you guys, it's a pain in the A55 to sort through 200 closed listings to find 1 open. There has got to be a better way. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I mean searching for specific items that are still available. And I really don't care what Joe Schmo paid for something. Chances are what he bought and what I'n looking to purchase aren't identical pieces. I'm going to jump back to my previous post in this thread, a simple "sort by" option would help all. I think. Just Open threads or closed threads or all threads. Any thoughts?

Last Edited:
I got to tell you guys, it's a pain in the A55 to sort through 200 closed listings to find 1 open. There has got to be a better way. If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears. I mean searching for specific items that are still available. And I really don't care what Joe Schmo paid for something. Chances are what he bought and what I'n looking to purchase aren't identical pieces. I'm going to jump back to my previous post in this thread, a simple "sort by" option would help all. I think. Just Open threads or closed threads or all threads. Any thoughts?

You could always try a "WTB" post for yourself......

All good points about closing your own ad (which people aren't), deleting the contents (why?), and then deleting it totally after 90 days (180 days?).

I've never been able to figure it out either.

You have something posted. You sell it. You go in and edit the ad (delete the contents / mark sold, whatever). Prior to closing the post does anybody post what they actually sold it for? I'd bet no. So why keep it in the archives? What good is going back to "research" an item? It would only tell you what someone initially asked for the item and all of the details of the item.

Even though most ads take up only kilobytes, those kilo's add up on the servers. If server space is no problem, then so be it. But really, is there any reason to keep something in the history that really doesn't give any pertinent information?

Also, if something isn't sold after 90 days (or 120 days - or pick a timeframe) then the weekly bumps should take care of that problem. But if there is not "activity" why shouldn't the ad be deleted?

It sure would make it easier to search for something using the search engines.

My .02 cents.

I like the idea of deleting ads that are over 90 days, if it has not sold repost it and it goes to the top. As for price comparison for me it does not matter what the last one sold for, I am interested in the current for sale and if I am willing to pay that for it. As for increasing search traffic, can't argue with that but again I dislike search and finding something that is no longer available. I am also fairly new here so I am not trying to tell you how to run the forum just giving my opinion. Also it seams that to many the "requirement" to close an ad is only a suggestion, not a requirement. What is the penalty for not closing an add?

I try really hard to close all sold or way too old ads..I am sure a few have slipped thru the cracks but I try, in order to make this a more orderly place

You know a mod could just go back and delete all closed ads after a few days :cool:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top