JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Curious how mods want this handled, as I get quite a few PMs from people trying to push deals through that aren't ok ie: across state lines, etc.

Are you letting them know what laws they are breaking if you were to do what they want? Some people just dont have a clue that it is illegal not to go through an FFL.

remember, ignorance is no exception to the law. same as possesion is 9/10 of the law. so the story go's. however, know your state laws on transactions also, they could help defend you if need be.

Curious how mods want this handled, as I get quite a few PMs from people trying to push deals through that aren't ok ie: across state lines, etc.

In my opinion the Mods/NWFA should not be held responsible for what the members do. Its is the responsibility of the NWFA member to follow Federal, State, and local regulations when considering a transaction.

I believe regulation falling upon the Board or its Moderators sets up for unwanted liability if something does go wrong. (ie someone sells a gun to a felon, someone gets killed now someone sues moderator because precedence is moderators are supposed to regulate transactions)

Please NWFA members, read the stickys, be informed and follow the rules so no one has to lose our rights :s0155:

-DrCox

I think we should assume the other party is ignorant to the law & we should inform them of the legal rout to go.

If the other party still insists/hints at doing a shady deal, then we should notify a moderator.

My .02 cents!

I've had to turn down deals twice because it would cross state lines. One guy from California even said he would make it worth my while. I said nope not worth it at any price. Buyer and seller beware. It is easy to comply with the law in a ftf, and overwhelmingly the people I have dealt with here on the forum are top notch law abiding citizens who want to do the right thing. :s0155:

I've had FFL dealers in Longview tell me that no FFL is needed for handgun purchases involving the seller being in OR and the buyer in WA. I've pretty much decided that I'll only deal with out-of-state residents via shipping to FFLs.

If anyone is contacted for a FTF across state lines, they should notify a mod. We will issue a friendly reminder/warning. If the problem continues, they get a 7 day NWFA vacation or the perma-ban.

Turning down cross state FTF is the smart thing to do.

There are only 3 options as I see them regarding the people who ask for these non-FFL interstate deals:

1. They are willing to break federal laws to save a couple bucks. Not a good display of wisdom or decision making and I wouldn't want to deal with them. Who knows what other poor decisions they might make.
2. They are a convicted criminal looking to get a gun illegally and one more law broken is no big thing to them. Yikes!
3. They are an ATF agent setting up a sting operation. Not likely, but still, I wouldn't want to take the risk for no good reason.

Any way you slice it, it is just not worth it.

I look at it like this, if I were an ATF agent in charge policing illegal gun deals why wouldn't I peruse the Classified Ads here?

Is that $25 that is saved by not using an FFL on a cross state line deal worth the two years in court, the $15,000 in lawyer fees for a case you are nearly 100% sure to lose, and then up to 10 years in jail just to save $25?

Don't play fast and loose with gun laws! The Feds are cracking down on this stuff even now, just look at the threads of the crackdown in Washington, do you think that they are giving Oregon a free pass?

If anyone is contacted for a FTF across state lines, they should notify a mod. We will issue a friendly reminder/warning. If the problem continues, they get a 7 day NWFA vacation or the perma-ban.

Turning down cross state FTF is the smart thing to do.

There are only 3 options as I see them regarding the people who ask for these non-FFL interstate deals:

1. They are willing to break federal laws to save a couple bucks. Not a good display of wisdom or decision making and I wouldn't want to deal with them. Who knows what other poor decisions they might make.
2. They are a convicted criminal looking to get a gun illegally and one more law broken is no big thing to them. Yikes!
3. They are an ATF agent setting up a sting operation. Not likely, but still, I wouldn't want to take the risk for no good reason.

Any way you slice it, it is just not worth it.

I dont see you list the option for the person that has NO clue it is illegal? I know many people that have NO clue of most laws. Sadly many of these people also include people that should know like FFL's and LEO's.

I would simply inform them of the law and if they still push then take it to the next step. It was not so long ago I had no idea you could not FTF out of state or even buy a pistol out of state..............

I dont see you list the option for the person that has NO clue it is illegal? I know many people that have NO clue of most laws. Sadly many of these people also include people that should know like FFL's and LEO's.

I would simply inform them of the law and if they still push then take it to the next step. It was not so long ago I had no idea you could not FTF out of state or even buy a pistol out of state..............

Actually there is a sticky in this very section, unfortunately most people don't read them (myself included). :eek:

http://www.northwestfirearms.com/fo...stionable-activities-nwfa-classified-ads.html

I know two years ago when I first started looking for a carry pistol I was completely ignorant. I asked the guy selling the gun I wanted where I could meet him and the long pause on the other end let me know something wasn't right. He informed cross-state ftf sales was a no-no and I sheepishly said, "Oh...sorry." I know there are many people out there to whom it wouldn't occur that selling across state lines would be illegal.

Never said the info wasnt out there, I said people were ignorant of it :s0155:

I to have been guilty the point was just that my guess is as many ignorant as there are trying to "put one over" on someone.

Agreed, were are all ignorant of so many things that's what this forum is good for, say one false thing and several people will correct it! :s0112::s0114::s0112:

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top