JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hope someone can explain this so I can understand the 'why' of it.....

I fully understand a person's logic when wanting to sell for 'Cash Only'.

I also understand a seller wanting to entertain a possible trade or willing to negotiate a 'Trade with Cash' deal.

What I don't understand, is the 'Trade Only' concept. I mean, is 'Cash' no longer an acceptable means of commerce? :huh:

I ask this because there have been guns posted for sale that I'd may have wanted to buy, but the 'posting' has been WTT. My PM's, asking for a possible cash sale figure, have either not been returned, or have been returned with a "this is a Trade Only post".

I can't help noticing that the members who post the largest number of WTT ads, are also 'trading' a large number of firearms.

Does this keep them from requiring a FFL, or is it that they can't buy firearms from a FFL? Or, am I missing the reasonable explanation?

Frog.

I recently had a shotgun for trade (and sale) but I was mainly interested in trade since what I want to buy was a bit more than I could sell the shotgun for, I'd rather have an item I can use rather than the cash (in this case).

Right now I have a pistol for sale and I need the cash for this one, not interested in trades at this point.

It can either way, just depends on the needs of the trader/seller.

I think the idea with a trade only transaction is that the seller/trader doesn't want cash because it will slowly get nickled and dimed away. I think part of it may also be that the're not wanting to "big brothers paperwork"

Trading is also fun. You can trade a nice item for another nice item that is different.

If you sell something, then you have a wad of cash in your pocket that likely will get spent on things that you really dont want to spend it on............like bills, groceries, the wife, etc.
Once that happens, you no longer have your item you sold, AND you no longer have the money you got for it. You wind up with nothing. What fun is that?

In a trade, you get a fun toy, for a fun toy.

Trading is also fun. You can trade a nice item for another nice item that is different.

If you sell something, then you have a wad of cash in your pocket that likely will get spent on things that you really dont want to spend it on............like bills, groceries, the wife, etc.
Once that happens, you no longer have your item you sold, AND you no longer have the money you got for it. You wind up with nothing. What fun is that?

In a trade, you get a fun toy, for a fun toy.

Also say I wanted a new fun toy, but didn't have the cash, but had a fun toy that I could part with. Therefore you don't have to spend a wad of cash to get a new fun toy.

I'd like to be able to WTT: WA/OR instead of WTT/WTS: WA/OR

There are several items I have posted in the past that would have fallen under that category if it where there. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

I'd also like to see an option for WA/OR/ID in all WTT/WTS categories.

Thanks, Guys. Your point of 'Trading' being more fun than 'Selling' is well taken and understood.

But, 'what if' what is being offered to you for a trade is not what you want. Cash can buy you exactly what you want.

And yes, while $100 bills can't shoot projectiles, they can buy what can!

And Tactical SS:
"Also say I wanted a new fun toy, but didn't have the cash, but had a fun toy that I could part with. Therefore you don't have to spend a wad of cash to get a new fun toy".

This illustrates my point. What if:
I wanted a new fun toy, but didn't have the item wanted for trade, but had the cash that I could part with. Therefore you don't have to have a fun toy to get a new fun toy.

It's the 'Trade Only' concept that I'm having the problem understanding.

Frog.

Thanks, Guys. Your point of 'Trading' being more fun than 'Selling' is well taken and understood.

But, 'what if' what is being offered to you for a trade is not what you want. Cash can buy you exactly what you want.

And yes, while $100 bills can't shoot projectiles, they can buy what can!

And Tactical SS:
"Also say I wanted a new fun toy, but didn't have the cash, but had a fun toy that I could part with. Therefore you don't have to spend a wad of cash to get a new fun toy".

This illustrates my point. What if:
I wanted a new fun toy, but didn't have the item wanted for trade, but had the cash that I could part with. Therefore you don't have to have a fun toy to get a new fun toy.

It's the 'Trade Only' concept that I'm having the problem understanding.

Frog.

It's true, it can work either way. I declined at least 4 offers for trade before I found one I was happy with. It may take some time, but if you are willing to wait, it can be worth it.

Just saying, I couldn't have purchased what I traded my shotgun for at the price I was asking. Sometimes people will trade you an item of more monetary value because your item has more physical value to them. It's all about what you/they need.

What I don't understand, is the 'Trade Only' concept. I mean, is 'Cash' no longer an acceptable means of commerce? :huh:

[SNIP]

Does this keep them from requiring a FFL, or is it that they can't buy firearms from a FFL? Or, am I missing the reasonable explanation?

There are several things that come into play. Please keep in mind that motives vary with the individual.

You can have people who know the cash value of an item may be less than its trade value. When I was in Vegas, I could pick up used Glock pistols (complete with box, mags, paperwork, and sometimes a holster) regularly between $400 and $450. The person usually had purchased the pistol for $525+ and had sales tax and other fees so the individual was losing $100 by selling for cash. However, if he traded he might be able to trade with another individual in the same boat and instead of them both losing money, they both got what they wanted without any loss.

Then there are some people who don't really know what they have is worth but they know what that they want. For example, you might have someone who has a Browning A5 but he wants a Glock 22 Gen 4. Instead of going around to different sites and asking a bunch of questions about value or listing it for too much and getting made fun of, he just lists what he has for trade and what he wants. If someone is willing to do it, it's an easy one for one deal.

The flip-side of this is a person who knows what he has, what it's worth, and is looking to trade up with someone who desperately wants what he has and is willing to give a bit to do the trade. -Inequity is the thing to watch out for in trades.

There is of course the nice thing of avoiding paperwork and de facto registration of the firearm when doing a trade. As you suggested, unfortunately there is the prospect of a prohibited person acquiring stuff through trades. However, there is that prospect with private purchases as well. And even if the person buys something through a FFL dealer, a person can clear the background check and the police have to go out and recover the firearm because something was missed. Nothing is foolproof. If you're concerned about whether the other person can have a firearm, requiring a valid concealed carry permit as a form of ID can help determine if the person is permitted to own a firearm. (Yes, I know the person may no longer be in good standing and have a permit that should have been confiscated or is forged but we're talking about the average situation.)

Another issue I have seen is that when some people have money, they spend it immediately. Yes, I know they could spend it on another firearm, but think of it as though it's poor impulse control. If you give them $500, instead of it going to replace a gun, it'll be spent on fun, bills, or whatever else presents itself for purchase. Some people literally cannot hang onto a dollar so unless they get a firearm in trade that $500 is going to be split up on multiple things and gone in short order. -First you spend some money on dinner, then drinks with friends, and before you know it $100 is gone.

-This list is not exhaustive, but it covers some of the reasons people insist on trades instead of accepting cash.

As you suggested, unfortunately there is the prospect of a prohibited person acquiring stuff through trades.

If you are trading with someone who already has a gun, and you do not wish to dig into their background and check their ID, etc.... Then there are three possible outcomes that are reasonable:

A) Assume he is allowed to own a gun, because he has one. So go ahead and trade with him.
B) Assume his is not allowed to own one, and should be reported to the authorities.
C) Don't care because if he already has a gun and you are trading with him, the net harm is 0 .

I would choose A or C -- and both have the same outcome: Do the trade.

Thanks for all your reasonable explanations as to why people might want to Trade a gun for a gun. I understand the 'trade logic' and can see it's advantages.

However, it still doesn't address the 'Trade Only' issue. The suggestion that I might be willing to trade my gun, for a gun of lower value, only suggests that I might also be willing to pay more Cash for the gun I want.

I 'see' Trading as a excellent opportunity to experience a wide variety of firearms. And I don't dismiss it as a option. What I'm saying is that at any given time the likely hood of having Cash, is greater than having the firearm wanted in a Trade Only deal.

The scenario I see is:
You want to Trade Gun A for Gun C, D or F. I own a G, H, Q and P. None of which you are interested in. I'd like to own A, but my Cash is no good. So I go out and buy a C, D, or F and then offer it to you in Trade for your A.

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me, and strongly suggests that the person wanting a Trade Only deal is hiding something.

Frog.

Thanks for all your reasonable explanations as to why people might want to Trade a gun for a gun. I understand the 'trade logic' and can see it's advantages.

However, it still doesn't address the 'Trade Only' issue. The suggestion that I might be willing to trade my gun, for a gun of lower value, only suggests that I might also be willing to pay more Cash for the gun I want.

I 'see' Trading as a excellent opportunity to experience a wide variety of firearms. And I don't dismiss it as a option. What I'm saying is that at any given time the likely hood of having Cash, is greater than having the firearm wanted in a Trade Only deal.

The scenario I see is:
You want to Trade Gun A for Gun C, D or F. I own a G, H, Q and P. None of which you are interested in. I'd like to own A, but my Cash is no good. So I go out and buy a C, D, or F and then offer it to you in Trade for your A.

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me, and strongly suggests that the person wanting a Trade Only deal is hiding something.

Frog.

Perhaps the guy that wants to trade has money already and likes the fun and fellowship of trading with other like-minded folks.

There is always the wife factor to consider, a woman wouldn't pick up your $500 gun and sell it to buy the typical trinkets women like to buy but there's a very certain chance she will chip away at that $500 cash. :p

I sold my first gun threw private sale on Friday. About a year ago I had it up for trade and someone offered to buy it for more then I was able to sell it for on Friday. I turned them down, and probably should have done the deal. I lost interest in keeping it up for trade and it sat in the safe. What held me back a year ago was the ramifications of selling a firearm, not having clear understandings of the laws, and asking my self "Well what happens if I sell this to someone and they use it for something illegal and then cops are knocking on my door?" I felt safer trading it because I knew I would be trading to someone who was already a gun owner. I wouldn't have to deal with a lot of paperwork, I didnt know there was a phone number I could call to get the gun registered to someone else, I didn't know how to write up a bill of sale. There was also the factor that I thought I could get a better deal for trading the gun. Mostly I'd say it was because I didn't know how to do a private gun sale. I'd suggest asking people why they are only interested in trade the next time you get that response.

Sometimes I get bored with what I have (okay, all the time), but I am not always sure what I want. So I may post an item WTT with a vague list of items I enjoy (for instance S&W revolvers or 1911's). Some of it is the fun of not knowing what someone else has that you might enjoy. Other times its knowing that if I take the money without knowing what I want, it will get eaten away little by little with other things and all of a sudden, I'm left without enough to buy what I want when I figure it out.

Other times I just want to sell for cash because I know exactly what I want and need the cash to finance it (as is the case right now). Rarely will I offer a gun WTS/WTT, but it happens on occasion. This usually happens if I'm disappointed in something or its something I didn't like as much as I figured I would...

I wouldn't question the trade only any more than the cash only persons motives. I too have drooled over some of the trade only guns that have come up on these boards, but I think it's the trader-seller's call..You either come up with what they are looking for in trade, or you move on. Maybe they want to control the safe count with the one in one out who know's..just gotta go with with it. I will say that the "traders only" people that I have traded with have been very nice folk's.