JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd like to own A, but my Cash is no good. So I go out and buy a C, D, or F and then offer it to you in Trade for your A.

Sorry, this doesn't make any sense to me, and strongly suggests that the person wanting a Trade Only deal is hiding something.

Frog.

Its not that cash isn't any good. Everyone has a price, but a lot of "sellers" don't want to haggle over $. No ones holding a gun to their head if you send them an cash offer. The question is if C, D, or F is readily available (i.e. wanting a P2000 9mm LEM for a P220 Stainless) The used price of a P220 Stainless is the same (IMO) as the price of a used P2000 9mm LEM but the P2000 9mm LEM is hard pistol to come by unless you buy a new one off gunbroker for 800 bucks. Its not outrageous for someone to look for a fair equal deal vs. asking an unreasonable price to get a new pistol.

As my friend used to say, "Haggling over cash is vulgar."

Ok, so I have been giving this some thought. I was reading about how people were doing the trading thing on craigslist and got to looking around and really don't see anything like that in the gun web. I know we have the "pay it forward" thread but that's not really the same as say a "barders page".

So, I got to wondering if the mods have or would consider a trading only thread with a few simple ground rules?

Thoughts?

I have been thinking of this for a while too. The reason I prefer a trade only sometimes, is because of loss of value in cash deals. If I buy gun X from a store, dealer, for $, most of the time I can expect to lose money when I want to get rid of it.
The gun will have three values.
One value is the price I paid for the gun new.
One is the actual cash value, based on demand and selling history.
One is the trade value.
The trade value is always higher than the actual cash value, because a interested party will know the price it would cost them to buy the gun new. So, if I can trade my gun at a higher value than cash, for a gun that I want, or a gun that might be easier to trade, I have improved my position.
If I am wanting to get rid of a gun I got in a trade, I am better off trading it for another gun too. If a gun costs 1000 new and I want to get rid of it, I should not expect to sell it for 1000. But if I can trade it for another gun that is of like value new, I have not lost any value, and have a new play toy. If I sell it for market value and take that money and buy a new one I have to add money out of my pocket to get the gun I want, if none are for sale used. Very often a gun posted for trade will bring out offers of the guns you wanted, that have never been listed for sale by the person. If I need the money, I will just ask for cash. It is very rare for a buyer to offer me a fair cash deal, on a gun I have for trade.

John

All the explanations are good, but OregonJohn has made a excellent point that a gun's value in a 'Trade', basically remains very close to the same. And when selling for Cash, it is expected that the price would be lower than what the gun was bought for.

Again, it's the Trade Only, with no Cash Offers excepted, that I question.

Crosse makes the point about a particular gun being worth more, just because there are fewer available. This is 'so' in all things. A person will pay more for a old HT car than a Sedan. And more for a convertible, even though they may all be of the same manufacture.

This is also true with guns. One may be willing to pay more in Cash, to obtain the gun they want. If the Seller's 'Cash Price' is higher than what you want to pay. So be it. I'm just saying there should be an option, and not limited to Trade Only.

Frog.

One may be willing to pay more in Cash, to obtain the gun they want. If the Seller's 'Cash Price' is higher than what you want to pay. So be it. I'm just saying there should be an option, and not limited to Trade Only.

Frog.

Everything is for sale.
If you want to offer $500 for someones used KelTec P3AT, you will probably buy it with cash.

They price for which they are willing to accept cash may be waaaaay over what it is worth though, so don't get mad.

Some people think trading is fun, and simply do not need the money. Nothing sinister.

A P3AT is only worth about $225 used. What is the seller going to do with $225?
Money is boring............Guns are fun.

All the explanations are good, but OregonJohn has made a excellent point that a gun's value in a 'Trade', basically remains very close to the same. And when selling for Cash, it is expected that the price would be lower than what the gun was bought for.

Crosse makes the point about a particular gun being worth more, just because there are fewer available. This is 'so' in all things. A person will pay more for a old HT car than a Sedan. And more for a convertible, even though they may all be of the same manufacture.

This is also true with guns. One may be willing to pay more in Cash, to obtain the gun they want. If the Seller's 'Cash Price' is higher than what you want to pay. So be it. I'm just saying there should be an option, and not limited to Trade Only.

Frog.

A "no cash" system will make it more of a challange and sorta like a trading game.And why not make it fun? Let's say you have a gun and someone wants to trade you one in lesser value. Insted of asking for cash to fill the balance of the value you ask for something else like gun parts or ammo.

It doesn't have to be complicated.
A couple simple rules would make it flow real well.

1.Like FTF whenever possible.
2.Stick to the finalized deal.
3.No trade jumping.
Etc.etc

As a friend of mine here once said "I'm gun rich, but cash poor"

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR