Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Classified Section Changes

Discussion in 'Questions, Problems, & Feedback' started by Joe Link, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Some of you may have noticed the changes we've made to the classified section today. For those who didn't, I wanted to give you a quick update.

Locked Thread Shading - Members are required to lock their threads, once an item has been sold, traded, or found. Locked threads will now be shaded in a dark gray color, making active threads easier to recognize.

Thread Title Editing Disabled - Thread title editing has been disabled, due to complications with our search engine results and the way Google indexes our site. For years we have asked that members leave thread information intact. Though we have left the option to edit classified posts, we continue to ask that members do not delete information from their sold ads. If you make a mistake with a thread title or need to change a prefix, please use the report button.

Quick Search Removed - Due to an issue with the search algorithm and the way these were indexed, the state quick search links have been temporarily removed. We're working on bringing back this functionality as soon as possible, it is a top priority. Prefix filter searches do still work. To search by prefix, go into the section you're interested in, find the prefix you want to search for, then click the prefix (not the thread).

Classified Polls Removed - The Add Poll option has been removed from the Thread Tools drop down menu. This was done for simplification, as polls are not used in classified ads.

Expanded Wanted Categories - We have added four new categories to the Items Wanted section.

Bill of Sale Moved - The Bill of Sale is now located on our Printable Targets & Forms page.

Thank You,
    Joe Link

etrain16 likes this.
  2. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I like the locked thread shading, that will be very helpful for those that actually lock their threads, but there are still way too many folks that never change the status of the ads. Do the mods look for this and follow up at all?

I'm not fully in agreement about the thread title editing, unless it's fairly easy for a mod to assist - I've had ads where I've changed the title to reflect a change in the listing, such as a lower price, I'd like to continue to be able to do that. I do understand that may be an issue though. I also like the idea of people not deleting the content of an ad after it sells/trades - I consider those older ads a resource to help in pricing my sales. When folks delete everything, you lose that benefit. Too bad that couldn't be locked down in some way.

As for polls, I don't think I ever even noticed it ;)

3. Joe Link

Joe Link Portland, OR Well-Known Member Staff Member Lifetime Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

We've been looking for a solution to people not locking their threads for quite a while now. I think it comes down to people not reading the rules/instructions, which likely won't change unless we can simplify the process. I'm confident we'll find a solution, eventually.

In the meantime, the best thing members can do to help us out is click the Report button at the bottom of the first post. This generates a report and a big red indicator at the top of our screen, which staff will follow up with. This applies to any post throughout the forum, not just classified ads :)

That was one of the drawbacks we had to weigh, there's no doubt it'll be more work for us. The fact is, websites live and die by their search rankings. The search engines are seeing far too many uses of the terms "Sold" and "Delete", which were hurting our rankings. We're going to try our best to stay on top of it, and I don't see it being an issue. Again, the report button is the best way to request these changes.

4. etrain16

I never thought to hit the 'report' button on these posts, but if that's your preference, I can do that. It is frustrating to click on ads only to find out they sold days, weeks or even months ago. The thread shading will be a definite bonus for those of us that do lock them down after the sale/trade.

I wonder, would it be possible to put an automatic expiration on a for sale/for trade thread? Perhaps after say, 30 days, you could get a reminder to renew your post, or it would automatically lock down. As long as you respond, it could stay open. At least that way all inactive ads would eventually be closed. I don't know if that could be done, just an idea.

Joe Link likes this.
  5. Joe Link

That's actually something I've been thinking about for a while now, not sure how feasible it is. I still plan on looking into it, just haven't had the time :)

etrain16 likes this.
  6. Joe Link

I've spent the afternoon trying to get this functionality re-enabled, knowing how important it is to people using the classifieds. I think I've come up with a solution, but I'm not quite sure if it's 100%. Whether it works properly or not, I'd appreciate your feedback.

upload_2014-12-19_16-3-24.png

etrain16 likes this.
  7. etrain16

Seems to work fine for me.

Joe Link likes this.
  8. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Personally, The big FLASHED warning when lingering on a classified title is extremely annoying and continues down the line the majority must pay for marginal results. Let me reaffirm my allegiants to the rules, you penalize me some way if I break them, and return to less distracting visuals.

9. Joe Link

I don't like that either, and I'm working on an alternative now ;)

10. thorborg

thorborg portland oregon Well-Known Member 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Seriously, the reaffirmation could apply to closing post (and future members) also so not reading and following rules will bring sanctions.:s0145:

11. aflineman

aflineman Both South of Eugene and East of Portland. Active Member

I hate to say it, but I am one who edits my ads after sale, trade, or I decide to keep. Even with my ad locked and marked (in bold) sold/traded at the top of the body, I was continually being contacted and asked if I still had the item. Normally by new folks, but it was at least once a week (especially when the feeding frenzy was going on). I just got tired of it and edited my ads of everything. Not the best thing, but I had done everything else.

12. scrandall01215

scrandall01215 Washougal,WA Well-Known Member

I kinda like the changes. But I to always code and edit mine
    I also like the closed ads in gray easy to pick out. Not that the locked symbol didn't work I just like the grey bolding myself

Stacy