JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
I can be sarcastic....often. This is a serious question because I must be missing something.
What's up with all the gear and guns listed for more than new prices? I've seen stuff listed as much as 2x new. Are people unaware? Am I just too much a shopper?
Before the new laws, I could see the advantages of face to face, but as the ads mostly read buyer to pay transfer, why?

Idk I kinda look at it like people can ask what they want there's no obligation for anyone to buy it. I tend to look at current prices of the same or similar items actually available for sale online or in stores and price it according to how fast I want to sell it. I do love people quoting me prices from sites like buds guns where the item is showing an old price no availability no backorder last available 2015 (or whatever)....that's not a realistic expectation wanting someone to price match an old listing because someone somewhere got one at that price 5-10 years ago lol

I don't see anything unusual about it. If you buy a used car, you pay for the new registration. If you buy from Ebay or most online stores, you are paying for shipping (even if they say free shipping, you are paying)... and most places charge a higher price for credit card fees. If you want to buy a new or used gun, you pay to prove that you can legally buy it. What if the norm was for the seller to pay and the buyer gets rejected for some reason? The seller still has to pay the background check fee.

I've seen ads where the seller has said they will pick up the transfer fee, but that doesn't mean the person buying it got the gun cheaper. If I buy a gun, I expect to pay for the background check and transfer fee, the same for the person buying a gun from me. If we are trading, then we each pay for our own. I see it as all part of the process unless something is agreed upon before hand.

Mike

I can be sarcastic....often. This is a serious question because I must be missing something.
What's up with all the gear and guns listed for more than new prices? I've seen stuff listed as much as 2x new. Are people unaware? Am I just too much a shopper?
Before the new laws, I could see the advantages of face to face, but as the ads mostly read buyer to pay transfer, why?

I have always "guessed" that when I see something for more than new it's someone who really does not want to sell. Setting a price they would sell for if someone was willing to give it. Back when we could just sell guns to each other I have many times been "talked out of" some gun I really did not want to sell. Someone just had to have it and offered enough I could not say no.
As for buyer pays BGC, I put that in my ads as a way of saying, "No, I am not going to meet you someplace and sell you the gun". Even with that I keep getting asked to. Just today woke to an e-mail about a gun I'm selling. Guy saying he wants it, had a CPL and DL and would like to meet. I told him he had to pick an FFL of his choice to go to if he wanted to buy. I probably will never hear back from him. This seems to be the norm now sadly. I sure as hell do not like this stupid new law but I also sure as hell am not going to sell a gun any other way. To me that is just dumb. Sure I have no doubt many thumb their nose at the law and do it anyway. To me? Not worth it.

I also wonder if it is because the seller doesn't really know the true value of their item. A lot of people will overpay on a rifle if they don't shop around. I see it all the time. One of my friends told me the other day he was thinking about buying a rifle at Coastal Farm and ranch and I asked him how much it cost and then I looked up the same rifle at Sportsman's and Coastal wants $100.00 more for the same rifle. I don't know if its an ignorance on the part of some sellers, or if they are hoping to sell to someone who is ignorant as to how much an item is truly worth. Your guess is as good as mine. I'm like the OP, I see it a lot with online classifieds adds. It happens a lot. My best advice is, if you know it's priced way above what its worth, keep moving on and don't look back.

If I can buy locally, without having to go through the online sales bs, I will pay a bit more. As far as discontinued models go, it depends on how bad I want it.

I think most just put a high price hope that someone will buy but give themselves room to negotiate on a lower price

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads