JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So I think that by doing a PM and telling the OP that his price is too high and unrealistic to the market is a polite way to give him a chance to correct it. (I don't mean that I want a Pricing Cop to be on the site tho). Say it and move on. We all make some bad choices that can be corrected, and should do so if they are pointed out. Me? I'd buy new.

I was planning on making my offer in PM. I was not going to crap in his thread. Trying to figure out what the warranty is worth is my problem now, any suggestions?
I wouldn't consider a Taurus warranty worth anything at all. To get work done you have to send the gun to Brazil, and from what I've heard, you may not get it back for many months, or at all. And it may still not be fixed. If I had a Taurus under warranty and it broke I would figure I was out of luck, and would need to repair myself or pay local gunsmith.

I've never had a Taurus. But from what I have heard, quality control is erratic, with guns varying all the way from pretty good to POS that won't even work. I would never commit to buying one sight unseen.

For a supposed NIB $1000 Smith or Ruger with no warranty, I would pay no more than $800. Those warranties mean something. But another factor in my price is, supposed NIB might not be. Seller might have worked on trigger, then found in the first few shots that gun now did not reliably fire, and decided to clean it up and dump it.

Last Edited:
When I see a used gun or "used" supposed NIB gun priced at near or above going new price, I just skip it. I figure seller must be looking for ignorant fool to rip off. Telling him I'm not that ignorant fool isn't useful, as it doesn't mean nobody else is. Overpriced stuff does sell sometimes.

Assuming it's the same model, what do feel is a fair discount to retail price given that I wouldn't get warranty with preowned model? Even one trip to a gunsmith isn't cheap these days.

That's a really tough call! I can't answer for someone else, ie how difficult/easy is it to buy a new one. Is it something you could order say off of Buds and get it in a week, or is your LGS going to have to order it in special, or can you go to any Sportsmans and buy it rite there...

Plus, how much do you want one.

Figure 80% as a simple starting point, but again, really depends.

I bought us a really nice used CZ75 Compact at the buyers ask recently, no haggling at all, because it is a challenging version of the compact model to find. Near perfect condition, minimal use. Not rare as towards numbers made, just rarely come up for sale...

I wouldn't consider a Taurus warranty worth anything at all. To get work done you have to send the gun to Brazil, and from what I've heard, you may not get it back for many months, or at all. And it may still not be fixed. If I had a Taurus under warranty and it broke I would figure I was out of luck, and would need to repair myself or pay local gunsmith.

I've never had a Taurus. But from what I have heard, quality control is erratic, with guns varying all the way from pretty good to POS that won't even work. I would never commit to buying one sight unseen.

For a supposed NIB $1000 Smith or Ruger with no warranty, I would pay no more than $800. Those warranties mean something. But another factor in my price is, supposed NIB might not be. Seller might have worked on trigger, then found in the first few shots that gun now did not reliably fire, and decided to clean it up and dump it.
I get that but the OP was about whether to say anything, or how, to the person. I wouldn't own one either but if that is a gun someone wants I suggested they buy new for the stated reasons.

I get that but the OP was about whether to say anything, or how, to the person. I wouldn't own one either but if that is a gun someone wants I suggested they buy new for the stated reasons.
By the post I responded to, OP was asking only about value of warranty, apparently having decided about other issues. So I answered primarily that. IMHO the value of the warranty for a Taurus is zero.

I wouldnt consider buying a supposed NIB sight-unseen Taurus even at half new price. And I dont trust supposed NIB status unless I know seller personally. And I wouldn't bother making an offer at all for a used gun listed near or above new price. But to each their own.

Last Edited:
My general approach to negotiating stuff is pretty soft-spoken. For starters, if the price is reasonable I just accept. (I don't try to nickle and dime someone who has offered a good price from the start.) If price is way too high I don't respond. If it's a bit high, I say something like this: "Gee, xxxs in excellent condition usually go for $xxx to $xxx. (I cite specific details as to what and where.) And I'm in no hurry. And there are other guns I covet I might be just as happy with. (Always true.) For this deal to work for me the price would need to be $xxx. Can you do that?"

That price I offer is actually a firm price though I don't say so. If they offer something else, I just say, "You might be able to get that for it, but what I feel comfortable paying is $xxxx (same price I offered). " I they refuse, I just say, "Okay. GLWS."

Last Edited:
I understand a price is required in a classified ad on NWFA. I see quite a few ads that also use "or best offer" after the price. How should we determine the time period of the OBO? It would seem reasonable to me to require a date for the OBO period. For example: "Rare Classic Hi-Point Pistol $777 or best offer by 8/1/19."
Otherwise the ad could run indefinitely until somebody paid the asking price.

Edit: And if I made an offer I wouldn't want that offer hanging out there for extended lengths of time.

Last Edited:
How should we determine the time period of the OBO? I
"We" don't get to determine the time period of the price or OBO...
That is up to the seller.
The seller can ask for whatever price they want..for as long as they want , even if the price is not in the realm of reality.

Some folks will always ask high or otherwise unrealistic prices on their items...or not want to be flexible with pricing or the terms of sale.

When I see a interesting item for sale I need to :
Decide if that the price and terms meets my needs or wants...
If so , I buy or trade for the item...
If not , I can try to make an offer...
The offer , may be accepted , or not ...
Or a counter offer may be tossed out...If so...
Then I am back to :
Deciding if the price and terms meets my needs or wants....

I also prefer to do all of the above via a well worded PM so as not to clutter up a sales ad.

There really ain't much we can do about pricing and terms...they are just what they are and may or may not work for us at times.
Andy
Edit to ad :
Please note that I am not trying to sound like a jerk here or take you to task so to speak...that is not my intention.
Just stating my thoughts on prices , offers and sales terms .

"We" don't get to determine the time period of the price or OBO...
That is up to the seller.
The seller can ask for whatever price they want..for as long as they want , even if the price is not in the realm of reality.

Some folks will always ask high or otherwise unrealistic prices on their items...or not want to be flexible with pricing or the terms of sale.

When I see a interesting item for sale I need to :
Decide if that the price and terms meets my needs or wants...
If so , I buy or trade for the item...
If not , I can try to make an offer...
The offer , may be accepted , or not ...
Or a counter offer may be tossed out...If so...
Then I am back to :
Deciding if the price and terms meets my needs or wants....

I also prefer to do all of the above via a well worded PM so as not to clutter up a sales ad.

There really ain't much we can do about pricing and terms...they are just what they are and may or may not work for us at times.
Andy
Edit to ad :
Please note that I am not trying to sound like a jerk here or take you to task so to speak...that is not my intention.
Just stating my thoughts on prices , offers and sales terms .
There was some decision on NWFA's part to implement a rule that requires a price. I am not sure what the motivation was behind that decision but I am guessing it may have been an effort to keep people from clogging the ads with items they weren't serious about selling. Maybe to prevent people from listing an item just to get an idea of the selling value. I believe that was a good idea to require a price for those reasons.

If I place an ad with price followed by OBO and potential buyers make an offer with no expiration date, what period of time should I expect them to honor purchasing the item at that price?

Should I list the latest best offer on the sale thread so people know what the best offer is?

There was some decision on NWFA's part to implement a rule that requires a price. I am not sure what the motivation was behind that decision but I am guessing it may have been an effort to keep people from clogging the ads with items they weren't serious about selling
We have a forum / classified ad rule that all for sale ads must have a stated price ...this is so we do not have 'auction" / or bidding type sales.

If I place an ad with price followed by OBO and potential buyers make an offer with no expiration date, what period of time should I expect them to honor purchasing the item at that price?
That would be up to you as the seller...
Communication with the buyer is key here....are they keeping in touch with you?...did they send payment promptly , if not did they have a "good reason" as to why not....Again much can be at play here and it is your ad and your terms....
as long as the forum rules are being adhered to , then it is up to you how long you hold an item or set a price....

Should I list the latest best offer on the sale thread so people know what the best offer is?
No that is best left between you and the buyer in question and is also best left in a PM

Andy

That would be up to you as the seller...
Communication with the buyer is key here....are they keeping in touch with you?...did they send payment promptly , if not did they have a "good reason" as to why not....Again much can be at play here and it is your ad and your terms....
as long as the forum rules are being adhered to , then it is up to you how long you hold an item or set a price....

What I was trying to ask was this: If I have an ad with a price or OBO and I get an unconditional offer below asking price, I would consider that a commitment to purchase the item if I accept their offer price. How long should I expect them to honor purchasing the item at the price they offered?

Example situation might look like this:

Today I post an ad thread for a Widget Rifle. Price is $500 or OBO by 9/15/19.

John Doe PMs me an unconditional offer of $400.

9/15/19 comes and no better offers came in so I PM John Doe and tell him I accept his $400 offer.

He PM's me back and says he already bought another Widget Rifle and doesn't want to purchase mine any longer.

How long should John Doe have waited before abandoning his offer to me?

I have no real answer for you...in regards as to how long you or John Doe should have waited...
Again that is up to you or John Doe.

I do not have a day or date engraved in stone as to "when"...it all depends on
Communication with the buyer or seller...
Attitude , good or bad...
Or reason's beyond the buyers control...

Is it frustrating when someone flakes on a deal or keeps you "hanging on"...yes....
That is what the Feedback / Rating reports are for....
Andy

People offering trades ought to understand a good rule of thumb in used car sales, which is, custom features may look great to you, but more often than not they look terrible to someone else, and may actually reduce the value.,

Most of us here love guns. I might actually be interested in xyz cheap-o pistol/rifle in an undesirable caliber, because I like to try new things out. But if you're going to modify xyz cheap-o pistol/rifle, please keep the original parts handy. I have no interested in paying extra for what someone painted, swapped out, bolted or epoxied on, with no regard for how the gun was originally engineered to work.

People offering trades ought to understand a good rule of thumb in used car sales, which is, custom features may look great to you, but more often than not they look terrible to someone else, and may actually reduce the value.,

Most of us here love guns. I might actually be interested in xyz cheap-o pistol/rifle in an undesirable caliber, because I like to try new things out. But if you're going to modify xyz cheap-o pistol/rifle, please keep the original parts handy. I have no interested in paying extra for what someone painted, swapped out, bolted or epoxied on, with no regard for how the gun was originally engineered to work.
Think sporterized milsurp and gucci glocks
:s0114:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top