JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi all,

I am planning on ordering, or having built another rifle for the hunt. I've had fun designating rifle and cartridge for the game I pursue each year. I always used the old '06 for everything in the years past, but hunting is one of the few things I indulge in each year, working and raising a young family.

The 30-06's work has been cut down to whitetail and elk in Montana at the end of each October. It's been a one shot performer to 500 yards with favorable conditions, and focus on an ethical shot, and of course a lot of practice.

I've had a blast and a lot of success with the 6.5x55 on the traditional high hunt in Washington, and islands in Alaska. Complete penetration on mule deer and sitka blacktail, and of the three deer I've taken with this cartridge they performed just as well with the 06, albeit much shorter distances.

I'm considering expanding in both directions as my budget allows, for no other reason but to play around with some new cartridges. A quarter bore or similar, for blacktail and something 338 and up for larger elk, moose, bear etc.

Currently I'm considering a pair of Montana Rifle Co, in 257 Roberts and 338 Win Mag respectively.

this isn't a caliber A vs caliber B debate, just an appreciation of some classic cartridges you all enjoy.

Some other cartridges that I'm considering from experience or are interesting to me-- 250-3000 Savage, 7mm Mauser, 9.3x62.

Thanks!

-Clayton

Last Edited:
I like the way you think. Hard to go wrong with your choices of 257 Bob and the all mighty 338 win mag. You'll have all of your bases covered. Your choice in Montana rifle company is also a great one. I'd go with the stainless Extreme X2 rifle and make them a matched pair. The nice thing about these rifles, is they can be ordered in left hand as well, for those of us in our right mind...:p

Great minds must think alike, I was actually thinking that the X2 would be a perfect fit here in WA and Oregon! Going straight up hill in the pouring rain through endless Christmas trees to stay down wind from that monster buck you scouted out all summer could certainly use a weather resistant rifle! I guess it shouldn't be that bad, I'm just having flashbacks of a couple years ago! It's tempting to special order a Savage 14 American Classic in 250-3000 with iron backups, that rifle would have a lot of character. My brothers been trying to convince me to pickup a 375 H&H, which would be great for bear and the cool factor is there, but I don't see myself going that extreme for elk when the 06 has been ample, unless I decided to pull out the old loading presses to work up some lighter loads.

I'll tell you, the 375 H&H is very cool indeed, but unnecessarily too big for anything here in Oregon or Washington. That's not saying I didn't pack mine last year during elk season. I'll never discourage anyone from buying one or using one. I'm also a big time 30-06 lover, but feel the great wapiti deserve to die with aplomb, that's why I carry my 338 win mag and do most of my elk shooting/slaying with that cool cartridge. I load heavy for caliber pills (250gr.) that work great on the big critters. I've also shot elk with my 9.3x62mm using 286gr. Nosler partitions. Watch out for those bullets, they are still sailing somewhere, as none of them were caught in the animals. Unlike most bullets that I've shot through the 30-06. Even 180gr. Nosler partitions have been found in the offside hide at times. It sounds like you have your head screwed on tight, but may indeed still be a "rifle loony"...:D Good luck with your rifle purchase and let us know how you like those MRC Extreme X2's.

You're exactly right, I have certainly passed on bulls with the 06, that with a more emphatic caliber in hand I would have been much more confident in a quick kill. The 338 Win sounds like a great fit. Just out of curiosity, what rifles do you have your 375 H&H and 9.3x62 in? I've been very tempted with a CZ 550 American Safari in the 375, and a Steyr SM12 Classic half-stock in the 9.3. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much appreciated! Maybe I need 3 rifles :rolleyes:

You're exactly right, I have certainly passed on bulls with the 06, that with a more emphatic caliber in hand I would have been much more confident in a quick kill. The 338 Win sounds like a great fit. Just out of curiosity, what rifles do you have your 375 H&H and 9.3x62 in? I've been very tempted with a CZ 550 American Safari in the 375, and a Steyr SM12 Classic half-stock in the 9.3. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much appreciated! Maybe I need 3 rifles :rolleyes:

Ha ha, you can never have too many rifles can you. I'll answer your questions on what I had and even throw in a few pictures (if you don't mind). My 9.3x62mm was a CZ550 American. I actually sold it to a buddy on another forum. The rifle was extremely accurate, but the reason I got rid of it was to get my 375 H&H. Here are a few pics of the rifle and how it shot:

This rifle has been to Africa twice (according to the original owner) with a freelance writer here in the PNW. When I bought it, he warned me, "The rifle thinks it's a varmint rifle". The CZ's are excellent rifles and accurate, exceptionally well built mauser designed CRF. However, I prefer the good ol pre 64 model 70, if not by design, but also for a little nostalgia reasons.
Here is a picture of my Pre 64 model 70 375 H&H stocked in a Mcmillan pre 64 pattern old style coyote bomber swirly:

This rifle also drives tacks, but it is much heavier than the CZ550.

It's funny you ask about the steyr because I have a friend that has one in 9.3x62mm. He also has one in a Zastava. We compared our 9.3x62mm's at the range and found that both the Zastava and Steyr were lighter than the CZ, but the CZ was more accurate for 5 and 10 shots. However, the Zastava and Styr were both capable of moa accuracy with 3 shot groups, which we know is plenty acceptable for a big (dangerous game if you will) rifle. My buddy also shot a 3/4" 3 shot group from the sitting position with my CZ550. After that, he kind of looked at his rifles with a little remorse.

Back to the 338 win mag. Here's my baby. It's a semi custom built on a pre 64 model 70 H&H magnum receiver. It weighs in at 7 3/4 pounds "all up", has a magazine capacity of 4 rounds, is cerakoted midnight blue, stainless barrel (installed by Gre-tan rifles), brown precision "pounder" stock. It's a sweetheart to pack and it's not too bad to shoot considering the weight. The parallel comb and ergos really make a difference. I'm thinking the MRC Extreme will be very comparable to this old rifle:

Sorry about the long post, but maybe it might help a fellow rifle looney out...:D

1118120922_zps51f9790f.jpg IMG_0583_zps9d3614f8.jpg IMG_0278_zpsxb9ujbxa.jpg DSC00152_zpsopr943d5.jpg

Wow, those are great rifles! I would certainly have a stable full of Winchester model 70's if I wasn't goofy handed. I have to make due with MRC, CZ's and Dakota rifles! There's just something about a model 70, that they got perfect. FullSizeRender (6).jpg

This is my Sako Bavarian in 6.5x55, and a CZ 527 I bought for some cheap practice. FullSizeRender (5).jpg
I put this Dakota rifle 76 on layaway at the Cabelas gun library, it was left handed, price was dropped and it was on sale. In 280 Rem to boot, I couldn't pass it up. It's also a mid 90's rifle, so pre-freedomgroup ownership.

The 6.5 does the trick on blacktail!

It's a tough call for me between the 375 in the CZ, and the Steyr in the 9.3. I've always been a huge fan of Steyrs workmanship and lore.
The only superficial drawback to the Steyr, is for $2500, I'm not a fan of the polymer magazine well.

If a left handed 338 model 70 showed up, it would be impossible to pass up!! You have some spectacular rifles! Thanks for sharing!

I knew there was something funny about you :). You might like my m1917 30-06:

I've been thinking about turning this one into a 9.3x62mm. By the way the (2) 9.3x62mm rifles of my buddies were left handed. Both the steyr and the Zastava.

IMG_0725_zps3gdnqxpd.jpg

I figured you had one of those up your sleeve with your name! Easily my favorite surplus rifle! Well, bolt gun anyways, it's a tie with my garand! When I bought my house last year, I cleared out nearly all of my surplus rifles. Mauser 98's and enfields flew out the door across the country, but I couldn't let my 1917 go. It's in excellent shape, and is a helluva shooter!

I went on an emergency call several years ago, (I'm an electrician) arrived at an elderly gentlemans house who had no power. He had an FPE panel melt down, and needed a replacement. I wrote up a price for him, and even after a generous military and senior discount he simply didn't have the funds to cover the cost. I had all the parts on my truck, and told him I wasn't about to leave a 90 something year old vet without power. He kept me company talking about the war and hunting, and about halfway through it he disappears and came back with an m1 carbine in his hands and a garand on his shoulder. He said You might like this, take it, it's yours!' I told him there was no way I was taking his rifle, but he insisted and told me "I don't want that damn thing, it would knock me over! But my sweetheart here (the carbine), never leaves my bedside!"

FullSizeRender (7).jpg IMG_1463.JPG
The old garand had seen better days, and was in pretty rough shape. It was more on par as a drill rifle than anything. But thanks to the CMP, it was brought back to life and functions flawlessly. It's a 1944 Springfield.

A m1917 would make a worthy big bore, that's for sure!

I've got a .338WM, a stainless Model 70 in the plastic stock. Supposed to be utilitarian, and looks it. The accuracy has dropped off because (I think) the bedding has gone sour. It's not a gun I like to shoot. o_O It was for elk hunting but I don't do that any more, and never got one when I did.

I've admired the .250-3000 and the 9.3x62 from afar, but never ended up with any. I own no .30-06 and never have. Plenty of .308's though. I have a Browning BLR in .358 Win that I enjoy but have never hunted with as it is too pretty and I don't like scoping lever guns (.308's usually get the nod). It's a rifle of very reasonable weight that thumps milk jugs impressively while not kicking any where near what the .338 does, even shooting 250gr bullets at max. Probably fairly close to what you can do with a 9.3x62...

I've got a .338WM, a stainless Model 70 in the plastic stock. Supposed to be utilitarian, and looks it. The accuracy has dropped off because (I think) the bedding has gone sour. It's not a gun I like to shoot. o_O It was for elk hunting but I don't do that any more, and never got one when I did.

I've admired the .250-3000 and the 9.3x62 from afar, but never ended up with any. I own no .30-06 and never have. Plenty of .308's though. I have a Browning BLR in .358 Win that I enjoy but have never hunted with as it is too pretty and I don't like scoping lever guns (.308's usually get the nod). It's a rifle of very reasonable weight that thumps milk jugs impressively while not kicking any where near what the .338 does, even shooting 250gr bullets at max. Probably fairly close to what you can do with a 9.3x62...

The .358 is certainly a testament to how efficient a 308 case can be! A 348 Winchester in a model 71 has always fascinated me as a heavy timber gun, there was a late 1930's example in mint shape at a local Portland shop, beautiful but upwards of 5 grand! I've always enjoyed how slick and handy the BLR is. My grandfather has an old Belgian steel in 308 that has fell more mule deer than I ever will. Great rifles!

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top