JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
When I was at the Renton Silencer shoot I was asked if I could teach a class on making silencers. I was able to obtain the use of the classroom at the Kitsap Rifle and Revolver Club on September 10, 2011 from 10am to 4pm. The club is located at 4900 Seabeck Highway Bremerton WA.

I made a slide show presentation for a lecture and will have various firearms and silencers at the class. Topics covered will include;

ATF applications and registration
Trusts
Silencer designs
How to make parts
Repairs

I should have a lathe at the class so I can demonstrate the basics of making parts. I cannot make parts for people at the class. There is a pistol competition going on at the range that day, but I will be able to get access to one of the pistol bays to demonstrate various suppressed firearms.

Cost is $35 ($20 for KRRC members) and includes the range fee. Attendees will need to sign in to use the range. Class size is limited to 20, so I need to know by the end of August who is coming. Please e-mail at the below address or PM. Thanks.

Randy Bragge
[email protected]
(360) 440-5889

Wow, this is great! Just started my trust paperwork, with Form 1 as soon as I get that complete. Have been reading through your posts here and at Silencertalk.com putting together ideas for my first build. Was ready to go with the exhaust tubing and freeze plug style, but this should give me more options!

I'll be there!

230 miles from Dallas Oregon is a long way to travel. For anyone who is looking at a long drive, I can send my lesson plan, slideshow and pictures on a dvd instead. It costs me only about $3 to burn and mail a dvd.

Ranb

230 miles from Dallas Oregon is a long way to travel. For anyone who is looking at a long drive, I can send my lesson plan, slideshow and pictures on a dvd instead. It costs me only about $3 to burn and mail a dvd.

Ranb

That's awesome...win-win whether I go or stay and order the dvd. Thanks so much Ranb!

Ranb

Would you mind printing them to PDF and making them availible online? perhaps make a youtube video?

I am very interested and would like to attend, but traveling the 1250 miles from Los Angeles, CA is a bit of a trek :)

The class was a success. I spent over two hours talking about ATF form 1's, trust vs personal ownership, silencer design, the law and other stuff. Next I made a baffle and a spacer on the lathe then we demo'ed a few cans on the range. Nearly five hours total.

I will schedule another class if there is interest.

Ranb

It was my pleasure. I got some useful tips on lathe operation from one of the students. The next class I will have some better material to hand out. This will reduce the amount of time I spent explaining the ATF form 1. I will spend more time on the lathe next time too.

Ranb

I'm certainly interested, and can probably drum up a couple of other guys as well. I sent a PM for this last class and never got a response. I figured it was canceled or something. Should I email instead next time?

I do not see any PM from you in my inbox, did you send it to someone else? Another person was helping me collect students/money, so yours might have gotten lost somewhere. I need to know what people want for the class to make it better. E-mail is best.

The last class ran almost 5 hours including range time, I can go longer. I think Saturday is the best day. Weekdays are not a good idea as the area near the clasroom where I put the lathe is not lit. But we can shoot at night as the rifle range is lit.

I spent over an hour on the legal issues in the class, this unfortunately is not optional. One student suggested that I put some baffles in a tranparent tube and blow smoke through it to show how K baffles flow. I might try that out.

Ranb

Yea its still in my Sent Items from 8/01. Must have gotten lost in the shuffle. Its not a big deal, I'm just sorry I missed the class.

I think showing the smoke in the k baffles could be pretty neat. Keep us in the loop when you decide to schedule another one. Looking forward to it!

I am not able to do something like that. I am able to make a aluminum baffle in about 45 minutes, it takes me about three hours to make a .308 stainless baffle. The best I can do in one afternoon is show people how to fill out the forms and some basics on the lathe.

I borrowed some magazines from a student in the class, but I lost his contact information. If anyone here is that person, please contact me. Thanks

Randy
[email protected]

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews