JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There are now 4 people running for Clark County (WA) Sheriff.

Anybody have any insight as to which candidate is pro/anti guns/CCW?

If there is a preferred candidate from the gun rights perspective, then we need to get the word out!

I have met or heard speak, three of the four: John Graser, Ed Owens, and Chuck Atkins - all (R). Shane Gardner is the (D), and very much "you don't need guns, 'cause my deputies will defend you!" Graser and Owens both support citizens to be armed in their own and the County or State's defense and while working with the Sheriff's Office in emergencies. Not sure about Atkins on this one, but he was in the SWAT community - including County SWAT commander for years before he retired in 2012 (so that he could run for sheriff). Graser has been retired for 17 years from the S.O.

It looks like two very good ones (Graser, Owens), one so-so (Atkins), and one Dem.

Joe13: It's equally important for us in Clark County, and much more important for those in Washington (not in Clark) to beat the drums about how bad I-594 is - get EVERYONE to the polls in November to shoot this one down!

Chuck Atkins is a good friend of mine. He supports the 2nd Ammendment 100%.

This is taken from "The Candidates For Clark County Sherrif, Part One":

Expressing strong support for the Second Amendment, Chuck Atkins replied, "I would never participate in the confiscation of firearms in violation of the 2A at any time, whether or not there was a natural disaster. This happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and it was a national disgrace."

<broken link removed>

To be fair, the other candidates expressed the same opinion.

Chuck Atkins is a good friend of mine. He supports the 2nd Ammendment 100%.

This is taken from "The Candidates For Clark County Sherrif, Part One":

Expressing strong support for the Second Amendment, Chuck Atkins replied, "I would never participate in the confiscation of firearms in violation of the 2A at any time, whether or not there was a natural disaster. This happened in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina and it was a national disgrace."

<broken link removed>

To be fair, the other candidates expressed the same opinion.

Thanks for the info: Makes it harder to choose in the primary, though any of the three R's will be a lot better than Gardner.

Now: How does Atkins feel about working with armed citizens when there is an emergency to large for the SO to handle? What would it take for him to embrace the concept?

Owens is the deputy who's son killed himself with his back-up gun.
He was fired and sued (don't know if he ever got his job back)
he blamed the gun safe issued by the sheriff's dept, claiming it was defective.

Owens is the deputy who's son killed himself with his back-up gun.
He was fired and sued (don't know if he ever got his job back)
he blamed the gun safe issued by the sheriff's dept, claiming it was defective.

As I remember, his suite was successful, as it was a County-issued safe, they were required to use only what they were issued for service weapons, and there were numerous complaints (not just by him) about the safes not staying locked before his son was killed.

Yesterday morning I watched the Sheriff's forum and presentation by all four candidates on CVTV (they may stream the programs on their website). Graser sounded the best: He already has plans in place for what he wants to change/fix, speaks with authority, and has more command presence than the others.

The others were more "I did this, I did that, this is a problem, that is a problem, and I'll do a good job for the county."

Owens and Graser have both been approached about their 2nd Amendment philosophy, and seem to be very supportive of it.

Atkins bothers me because of all the time he spent in the SWAT community, which is notorious for their arrogance. He seems to have the deepest pockets - is the only one from whom I've seen a TV ad, radio ad, and the most signs around the County.

Beware of Gardner, who sounds good, claims to be independent, but his campaign manager is one of the high-ups in the Clark County Democratic Machine plus he is supported by the hierarchy in Van PD. (Wolf in sheep's clothing?)

Atkins bothers me because of all the time he spent in the SWAT community, which is notorious for their arrogance. He seems to have the deepest pockets - is the only one from whom I've seen a TV ad, radio ad, and the most signs around the County.

I know Chuck fairly well myself and he will definitely be getting my vote.
(so i admit my bias freely)
He has so much experience, is very pro 2nd Amendment, very conservative, very approachable/willing to listen and overall he has deep knowledge and understanding on a wide variety of topics.
I was actually pleased to see that he is getting some 'facetime' with ads and signs, heaven knows there are way too many people out there that just punch their voting card simply based on name recognition, and their vote counts as much as yours and mine...o_O
I have the great opportunity to train with several team members of CC SWAT, PPB, and CERT teams in a non-leo capacity. Everyone I know from these agencies are super humble people that are there to serve their community, and are trying to make a positive impact, Chuck being no exception to this.

Just my $0.02 worth! :)

Dr.Z

All four of the candidates have come out in support of the second amendment and publicly spoken against I-594. Contrary to the statements above none are democrats. Garner is independent and the most liberal of the bunch. Owens is independent as well however he is quite conservative, especially with the second amendment. He indeed lost his son to a tragic accident and did sue the safe company and won. He also went to congress and put in place standards for the safes which did not previously exist. Graser is also very pro second amendment and along with Owens are the only two that stated that they would if necessary stand between the feds and us if second amendment violations occurred. Not sure where the info. came from on Atkins statement above however I can say that it would be a change in what he has stated many many times already. He simply refuses to entertain the idea that he may ever have to do so and therefore refuses to say that he will. And yes, I have spoken to all of them and done everything I can to figure out who the best candidate is. In the end my conclusions are thus: I don't see that we can lose with any of them as they all appear to be better than Lucas (I sat down with him and couldn't get him to stand on anything). Graser and Owens both are likely to do the most to support the right to keep an bear arms. I say this because they have done the most to connect with us. Atkins is third pick for me although much of his campaign is based on rubbing noses with others. Gardner falls at the bottom but even he has a lot of good ideas that could move us in the right direction. I've decided on who I will vote for already but publicly I will not say which of the top two candidates it is. It will be between Graser and Owens though. In the event neither get past the primary then it will likely be Atkins however that is subject to change.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top