JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Sad. Would like to hear more details about the situation but it's just tragic.

Lots of burglaries lately as thieves are getting very bold, this one in rainier OR turned out better:

Lots of burglaries lately as thieves are getting very bold, this one in rainier OR turned out better:

I have heard of competitive attitudes between LE agencies but this takes it to another level.

This is simply horrible!

First, RIP Officer Sahota. Condolences, prayers and blessings to the Sahota family as they deal with this sudden, senseless and traumatic loss. May Fathers peace and presence be their solstice in their time of loss.

Couple of other thoughts:
Don't ever want to be standing there with a gun in yer hand when LEO rolls up…. And, this is going to be an expensive wrongful death for Clark county.

Crime is getting real bad and criminals are getting very bold. Hopefully this translates into more 2A supporters and not more 2A restrictions. Wait'll Gotham gets a load of us.

The biggest take away seems to be that the deceased should have stayed inside his home instead of trying to confront the suspect and he would still be alive. The second biggest take away is that when you go outside to confront the suspect, don't rely on the suspect complying with your attempt to detain him just because you have a gun. The third takeaway seems to be that if you are attempting to detain someone and you are in possession of the firearm - distance is your friend, the deceased was stabbed multiple times and lost possession of the firearm at the hands of the suspect - distance was obviously not kept.

From article:

"The circumstances of the shooting have yet to be detailed by law enforcement"
[According to the Lower Columbia Major Crimes Team, "Within seconds of responding law enforcement officers arriving on scene, one Clark County Deputy Sheriff fired several rounds from a rifle striking the off-duty officer. The off-duty officer/homeowner collapsed on his front porch before responding officers were able to determine he was the homeowner and not the alleged robbery suspect."]

Rifle was what killed the offduty homeowner.

These type of events are likely going to discourage some people from attempting to defend their property with a firearm. Not only do they have to worry about getting injured /killed by perps but now they have to worry about being shot by responding LEOs. And if it can happen to a seasoned off duty LEO, it can happen to anybody. I suspect it will happen more often now that LEOs are getting killed almost daily. Their trigger fingers are probably a lot more sensitive these days and who can blame them.

These type of events are likely going to discourage some people from attempting to defend their property with a firearm. Not only do they have to worry about getting injured /killed by perps but now they have to worry about being shot by responding LEOs. And if it can happen to a seasoned off duty LEO, it can happen to anybody. I suspect it will happen more often now that LEOs are getting killed almost daily. Their trigger fingers are probably a lot more sensitive these days and who can blame them.
The terrible irony is that the homeowners alerted the police to the suspect being at that house, had that not happened police would not have been at that address. Furthermore, had the homeowner stayed in his house, he could have defended his castle relatively easily and stayed alive even if the criminal had broken down the door.

The terrible irony is that the homeowners alerted the police to the suspect being at that house, had that not happened police would not have been at that address. Furthermore, had the homeowner stayed in his house, he could have defended his castle relatively easily and stayed alive even if the criminal had broken down the door.
Essentially we as property owners are going to have to let perps do and take what they want from our property, shops, barns, detached garages, vehicles parked outside and depend on LE to intercede.

LE may want to put out some public service announcements on how property owners should conduct themselves if LE has been summoned to their property.

First and foremost, I want to express my condolences to all involved in this horrendous event.
The LEO responding and shooting the wrong person should be held accountable for gross negligence.
The homeowner/off duty LEO should have shot the perp and put his weapon away before the approaching LE arrived.
If someone tries to break into my home, they will be put down way before the police arrive and my weapon will be holstered/ put away. !!!
Just my thoughts...

It is normally far from worth defending property with a gun. Yes it sucks big time to have scum steal but, head outside after them with your gun and you are risking a LOT of things. Sadly in many places if the scum comes at you, many dopers will, and you shoot them? At best your are looking at huge hassle. At worst they may want to charge you. Sadly this is what the voters have said they want.🤬

Essentially we as property owners are going to have to let perps do and take what they want from our property, shops, barns, detached garages, vehicles parked outside and depend on LE to intercede.
I think each person needs to make that determination for themselves, if the guy and his wife could redo that night they'd probably do it differently.

Keep in mind that the homeowner was a law enforcement officer. He was not just protecting his property, but engaging a potentially dangerous suspect who could have left the scene and injured/killed other innocent victims in the neighborhood. Whatever "mistakes" he made in the confrontation, he was doing his duty to serve and protect and paid the ultimate price. Thoughts and prayers to his family, I will let the investigation sort out the details involving the sheriff's deputies response and what steps follow. I just wish the politicians would quit haranguing the police and emboldening the criminals.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top