JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
There was a discussion thread from earlier in the week that disappeared before I could add this. Not that what I have to say is so important, but for general clarity to avoid misunderstanding.

White privilege has nothing to do with our individual circumstances and it certainly doesn't mean all white people have it easy. The best analogy I can come up with is that of a river. White people are moving with the current. Some have rickety rafts, some have fiberglass motor boats and some have luxury paddle wheels all to themselves. There are also those who have nothing and are barely keeping their heads above water. While technically, the river is helping them move down stream, it's also killing them. For people of color it's the same, except they have to get upstream, i.e. racism.

One example: There was a study done (I think) at the University of Pittsburg in the late 90's that looked at assault arrests and showed that black people were more prone to commit assault. It was a well done study and made it through peer review. But some (maybe grad students maybe from Penn State) thought it deserved a second look. Using the same data, they did a little digging. It turned out that calls to the police about assaults were exactly even per capita between black and white. The difference was that police were twice as likely to make an arrest if the person was black. With white people they tended to take a "no harm, no foul" approach. There is no way for a guy licking his wounds at home after a drunken brawl to know that he was saved from an arrest record by his skin color. He may have a very hard life, but this was a free gift and probably made a big difference in his life.

Some might say that there is still, "too much privilege". And well, a certain group in Portlandia doesn't intend to see the riots stop any time soon.

Aloha, Mark

White privilege is complete and utter bull crap and is one of the most racist things ever invented.

There's probably also a reason the previous post disappeared...like this one probably will shortly.

White privilege is complete and utter bull crap and is one of the most racist things ever invented.

There's probably also a reason the previous post disappeared...like this one probably will shortly.
I just wanted to define the term, not argue it's validity, What did I get wrong?

Some might say that there is still, "too much privilege". And well, a certain group in Portlandia doesn't intend to see the riots stop any time soon.

Aloha, Mark
Even if it were true that people in charge of running a city wanted riots in that city, it has nothing to do with the subject at hand. Privilege in this case carries societies acceptance or even support. What's happening in one city is irrelevant. Examples of white privilege are nearly always invisible (like the example I used). I'm getting the idea that I've angered some of you and I'm not sure why. When I was in college, a woman in a class asked the men if I carried their car keys like a weapon poking out between the fingers. None of the men had any idea what she was talking about, but when she asked the women, the all raised their hands. Men just don't have the fear of rape that women do. That's how I started to understand male privilege, but no one was or is being blamed. We don't create the society in which we're born. Privilege is no ones faulty and it's not a bad thing. Everyone has it for some demographic reason. Height, weight, age -- society favors tall people, thin people and young people. What's the harm in saying so?

While not there yet...

Most threads like these soon turn divisive and overall less than excellent remarks.

In general they are also full of blanket statements , assuming and "facts" that tend only to show what the poster wants hear and see.
Which in turn leads to more of the same in the way of rebuttals and at times , attacking of the forum member and not their position taken.

Something else to consider here when posting , is the nature of the source used to cite a fact or figure...
As in is the source trustworthy...?
Does the source itself have a bias or agenda to spin or sell...?

If this thread is to last ....Please tread lightly here and remember our forum rules.
Andy

My apologies to the forum. I saw that someone was misunderstood a term and thought clarifying it would ease tension if it came up again, but I see it had the opposite effect.

One of the troubles of "defining" a term that is thought to be misunderstood is , that in many cases a term or phrase can have different meanings to different people...based on their experiences.
Experiences often shape perspectives...and perspectives can change over time.

How one person perceives a term or phrase is true , for them...but may be not true for another.
It might be best to clarify just what a term or phrase means to you...and not expect that clarification to hold or be the same for others.
Andy

White privilege is getting preferential treatment from employers.

Getting preferential treatment from colleges and universities.

Having organizations that exist solely to help you get ahead based entirely on the color of your skin.

Having museums and history months to celebrate your heritage.

Having the privilege to be a perpetual victim and hold no responsibility for your own lot in life.

I now understand that sometimes there is no difference between defining a term and arguing its merits. If I accept this revised definition can we call it a day. Better question: If I start a thread can I end it or is it a runaway train?

Status

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top