JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm an Oregon resident.
Saw a bolt action rifle for sale in Washington.
Seller indicates they would not ship in the ad, so I'd need to head north.

Based on this: https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.124 I am able to buy the rifle.

What I didn't see was what waiting period, if any, is required for a bolt gun purchase in WA by an Oregon resident.

I did look through multiple links at the WA.gov location and didn't find an answer.

Some help/guidance would be appreciated.

You're confident as an OR resident that you'll pass a BGC. So?

Assuming that the WA resident (seller) did not want to ship. And the FFL will be in WA.

You could just call the WA FFL and ask, What's the policy?

Say if.....

Your BGC is delayed or denied? And how much will it cost?

Aloha, Mark

PS......prior to the WA Assault Rifle Legislation I did many transactions (for long guns) at OR FFL dealers. There were no problems for me. But, I haven't even tried to buy a semi-auto since the Legislation. Bolt guns continued to be no problem for me.

Last Edited:
Unless you get a delay from the federal check I would not expect any waiting period at all. Best to ensure that the FFL you want to use is familiar with selling long guns to Oregon residents. Some have unique store policies.

@User 1234 and @ma96782 Thank you both for your comments.
I have CHLs for both OR and WA, and my full name is rather unique, so I don't think there will be much of an issue with passing the check.

I'll drop a note to the seller and ask him which FFL he'd like to use, and then I'll ring the FFL to get the details.

Thank you.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads