JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hi I'm new and I have tried to find the answer to my questions on this site and anywhere on the internet, to no avail, and I was hoping someone can help me answer my questions. Let me first state that I do NOT have any of the following, but I am only seeking answers prior to making any sort of purchase. I would love to own a Thompson A1 and/or AR-15 with all the options including a suppressor with a grenade launcher, but I would just be happy with a Thompson A1 like my grandpa fought the Korean war with...but my cousin bought it before I had the chance to. If a private party or the opportunity at a gun show presents itself that I can buy what I want at a good price, I want to know my rights and laws.

Questions;

1. If I buy a NFA weapon/suppressor/destructive device from anyone in Oregon, other than an FFL Dealer, do I still need to register it and pay the $200 dollar tax fee?

2. If I buy an NFA weapon/suppressor/DD at a gun show does it still need to be registered and pay $200?

3. Am I safe buying in a private sale an NFA listed pre-ban/post-ban fully automatic weapon or DD if it was never registered and after the sale I find out that it was not registered prior to my ownership? How do I register it, if I am required to, if it's never been registered? Does this kind of thing happen or do people register it before buying and pay the fee first? If after I have purchased it can I find myself in legal trouble for buying an unregistered NFA gun?

Again, I'm new and I know that my questions may sound dumb. I just want make sure that I am in the clear and legally covered in my private or gun show type purchases. I'm assuming most if not all NFA owners/sellers already know the answers, but I don't, and I'm not expecting full disclosure in a sale to a complete noob. So I feel safe asking here first.

1. absolutely. F4 transfer paperwork is a requirement and $200 transfer tax
accompanies this. the only exception, if not LEO transfer, is if you are
acquiring the Title 2 firearm as an heir.

2. absolutely.

3. you are only qualified (joe blow) if the full auto was manuf prior to 1986.
acquisition of post 1986 is limited to C2, C3, DD SOTs. if you discover that
the Title 2 was not registered, there is no "oh, i'll just register this after the
fact". Possession immediately becomes prohibited and the item must be
relinquished. There is no amnesty. You do not get to retain possession.

part of the acquisition process requires that you complete the form 4. when
BATFE reviews the application, there *must* be a record of the Title 2 item
in the federal Registry. if not, the seller may be getting a call/visit.

if you never participated in an NFA/T2 transfer before, it would be highly
desirable for you to partner up with someone who has and to seek their
guidance, hand holding, a recommended dealer, etc

Yeah, why would I want their attention by asking you are wondering? Well, if I had anything to hide...I DEFINITELY wouldn't be asking on a forum that will always have my comments, from now until eternity, showing any ill intent.

Waltermitty: Thank you very much for clearing that up! I just recently applied for my CHL & CFL. I also purcashed my first of hopefully many handguns. XDM-.45, and a Bodyguard 380 for my wife. The best part is she is the one who wants an AK47 & AR-15 and F-weapons. It's awesome, funny part is she already plans on custom Hello Kitty colors. I would just hate buying an attachment like a grenade launcher with grenades, 37mm I think for the AR and with a suppressor for example and end up in legal hot water doing the right thing by registering it. I like private party for the hopeful discount on price.

I also fear and I am always mindful of the the law and fear being taken advantage of. I'm thankful for sites so well put together like this forum. Nice bill of sales already prepared FREE to use, tons of information to educate myself, trusted sellers etc. etc. I have family in law enforcement, but it's not their job to educate me...I want & need to know for myself. Again thank you for helping avoid a costly mistake and confirm what I thought. I never want to lose my right to own or carry! As it stands, I love how open Oregon law is, it seems, in protecting my rights of ownership of NFA. Still not Alaska or the 2 other states but, it's cool I can own one. If only they weren't so darn expensive. I'm also glad others are defending these rights in Oregon for me against some of those in office or wanting to take those rights away. And I thought fishing has a big learning curve! I just started that this summer too, hence the self protection for my family and person.

i knew it got it from somewhere out there lol. Seriously, I probably did since I was applying for my Oregon/Utah and thinking about my Florida, but did assist a family member with theirs.
Thanx for clearing it up!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads