1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!
  2. We're giving away over $850 in prizes this month -- enter now for your chance to win!
    Dismiss Notice

Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter

Discussion in 'Legal & Political Archive' started by Modeler, Dec 15, 2012.

1. Modeler

Modeler Ketchikan, Alaska Soccer Fan

Clackamas man, armed, confronts mall shooter | kgw.com Portland

Article text:

PORTLAND -- Nick Meli is emotionally drained. The 22-year-old was at Clackamas Town Center with a friend and her baby when a masked man opened fire.
    "I heard three shots and turned and looked at Casey and said, 'are you serious?,'" he said.
    The friend and baby hit the floor. Meli, who has a concealed carry permit, positioned himself behind a pillar.
    "He was working on his rifle," said Meli. "He kept pulling the charging handle and hitting the side."
    The break in gunfire allowed Meli to pull out his own gun, but he never took his eyes off the shooter.
    "As I was going down to pull, I saw someone in the back of the Charlotte move, and I knew if I fired and missed, I could hit them," he said.
    Meli took cover inside a nearby store. He never pulled the trigger. He stands by that decision.
    "I'm not beating myself up cause I didn't shoot him," said Meli. "I know after he saw me, I think the last shot he fired was the one he used on himself."
    The gunman was dead, but not before taking two innocent lives with him and taking the innocence of everyone else.
    "I don't ever want to see anyone that way ever," said Meli. "It just bothers me."
  2. lowly monk

lowly monk Beaverton, Oregon. Just a guy. Bronze Supporter

Talk about adrenalin, He made a good decision.
    ddnuts, Botte Hork, fuhr52 and 5 others like this.
  3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

And they say the "average" CHL isn't trained and/or capable of making the right choices under stress and would only make things worse.

If he had a clear shot he would have taken it and ended the situation, but he didn't have a clear shot and didn't take the shot because of potentially adding another casualty to the toll... good job!

In the end however, he had THE MEANS to defend himself and he did so responsibly... THAT is the kind of "gun control" that is needed in this country

4. Key-Hay

Key-Hay North Carolina Active Member

5. Spray-n-pray

Spray-n-pray Battle Ground Moderator Staff Member Bronze Supporter

This is exactly why people should be armed. I knew there had to be a reason why more people weren't hurt in this incident. Mr. Meli acted rationally in a difficult situation, keeping his wits about him, and possibly contributing to the shooter ceasing from further action. He showed great discretion and restraint in not discharging his weapon although he had the shooter in his sights. He is the example of responsible gun ownership and concealed carry.

Well done, sir!
  6. bolus

bolus Portland Gold Supporter Gold Supporter 2015 Volunteer 2016 Volunteer

Good for him. Know your target and what's behind it
  7. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Well-Known Member

would be a different story had the guy shot - and hit or missed. And a risk he would be taking is being mistaken as the perp and being shot by SWAT.
  8. beavernation1

beavernation1 Salem Member

I believe that is the risk of carrying. I would rather be arrested or shot at as a mistaken perp if I was able to stop some freak from killing God knows how many other innocent people.
  9. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

I think Nick Meli Did the right thing, Not having a clear shot and seeing people behind the bad guy. Meli did make a good decision not to fire.
    Good job
    Tony Portland, Oregon Area
  10. handydan918

handydan918 Columbia County New Member

We note with interest that the shooter was stopped by the mere presence of another armed man. Mr. Meli didn't fire (an excellent observance of Rule 4!), but the gunman saw him, and "surrendered".

An excellent response to a complex and dynamic situation.
    Kudos to Nick Meli.
  11. WhyteCheddar

WhyteCheddar East of Moscow by the Willamette Well-Known Member

Wonder if he is a member here?
  12. Burt Gummer

Burt Gummer Portland Completely Out of Ammo

A fine example of restraint and clear thinking under fire. A+ decision.

If a cop opened fire and hit people past the perp it would have just been collateral damage, all justified, A-OK. Mr. Meli would have had been arrested and sued for negligence, put through the courts, made out to be a careless person; sued by the families, etc.

On the other hand if he would have dropped the shooter right off the get go, saved all the lifes, etc, the media would barely mention it. Civilians and 'normal people' are not to be portrayed as heroes when guns are involved. You need a badge and a car with lights on top for that.
  13. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

based on what I just fond he is in the firearms industry locally. I invited him to the forums.
  14. dobeman

dobeman Hillsboro Oregon Well-Known Member

I think it is one conclusion that could be drawn that the sight of the citizen with a gun is what prompted the shooter to off himself. It could also have been the natural progression of things in said shooter's twisted mind.
  15. jordanvraptor

jordanvraptor Oregon City, Oregon Well-Known Member

I'm sure Clackamas Town Center will have their lawyers issue him a Criminal Trespass for carrying a firearm on their property... :(
    Burt Gummer and (deleted member) like this.
  16. OHshoot!

OHshoot! Bellingham Member

Better he shot himself than you having to deal with shooting him. Good job handling a scary situation.
    BillB1960 and (deleted member) like this.
  17. SturgeonSlayer

SturgeonSlayer St.Helens Active Member

I think it was a personal decision he was forced to make in a split second, I don't think there was a right or wrong response to his actions, He did what he believed to be the right thing at that time. good on him for the attempt and his quick decision making skills. I would not be worried one bit to have him by my side in a firefight.
    Morpheus, lamrith, BillB1960 and 3 others like this.
  18. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

19. Vaultman

Vaultman Clackamas Co, Oregon Active Member

Nick Meli, you are a hero. You made sure that your friend and her baby were safe. Had that man charged you and her, you were prepared. You did not cause the innocent person behind the shooter any additional threat.

None of us can feel your situation. Thank you for being a responsible concealed carry holder. And thank you for going with your instinct. That is all that anyone could ask or expect.
  20. bobu

bobu Salem Member

It would sure be nice if you would see more emphasis on stories like this demonstrating responsible gun posession.