Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Clackamas County Concealed Handgun License Wait Time

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by shocked, Dec 23, 2015.

1. shocked

shocked Clackamas County New Member

Hey All,

I have read the older threads on wait times for the concealed handgun license in Clackamas County.. but I still have a question.

I filled out the online appointment form and I have a 30min appt in January. According to the clackamas county website:
    ---------------------
    Q. How long does it take to get my new concealed handgun license?
    A.
    It generally takes about 20 minutes to process new applications. ORS 166.292 allows the Sheriff 45 days to review your new application, conduct a background check and issue you your new concealed handgun license.

At times we could take up to 45 days, but it is our goal to have your new concealed handgun license in the mail to you within 7 business days. It is safe to assume if there are issues that arise as a result of your background check; it will take 45 days for your new license to be issued or denied.

-----------------------
    But, I have read on here that people walk into the appointment and walk out with the cc in hand. I have no background check issues, so should I assume that I will walk out with a permit or be mailed one in 7 days or ?

I am just trying to understand why they say their goal is to mail it in 7 days if they hand it to you on the day of your appointment..

2. STUKA

STUKA Close to Milwaukie Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter 2016 Volunteer

Got Mine the same day,that was 2 months ago. Don't know if that helps any
    Maybe they just say a week I'm case there is a huge rush?

3. shocked

Thanks! I will know soon enough.. It is just more exciting to think same day as opposed to "wait for the mail". :)

Larrytpdx likes this.
  4. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

My transfer (moved in from another County) was issued at the appointment. Having you fill out the form online speeds the process, as they can have the background check done before you even arrive.

5. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

On the bright side I recently renewed with Clackamas County online. It was a pay and go. No lines no waiting no check. A week later new CHL in the mail..

6. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

It's nice to see they've sped up the process. When I got my Clackamas Co. CHL back in '94, it took a good 45 days to process, and it took a while to get in to see them in the first place. Of course, at that time Clinton's antics were causing a run on CHL's, and there was no online processing, so that probably extended things a bit.

7. shocked

Just to follow up. I was issued the permit the same day. I am told that this is due to the fact that I made the appt online and this gave them time to have the background checks done before I arrived. It was a very smooth experience.

Larrytpdx likes this.
  8. Larrytpdx

Larrytpdx Portland, OR Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Thanks for the follow up post! :s0101:

9. Peak_oil

Peak_oil Member

It's a hell of a lot faster than getting a CCW in Chicago or LA, that's for sure.

10. bgdawgrr

bgdawgrr Washington Member

Doing a search, all the info is several years old now. Where should I apply for a non resident CCW permit in Oregan (current WA CPL holder)? I was excited about Clakamas county, but they don't do any non resident permits. Multnoma doesn't seem the best, but maybe most convenient.
    I'm actually traveling through Oregon this weekend, but seems it's not as simple as going into an office, applying nod wait like WA.
    Any tips would be appreciated.

11. etrain16

etrain16 Oregon Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I've heard that Columbia County will do non-resident for WA folks, and I understand they're easier to deal with than Multnomah. Might be a further drive to get there, but probably worth it.

12. Modeler

Modeler Molalla, Oregon Soccer Fan

The classic place has been Grant County. Not sure if the Sheriff there still does out of staters or not, but he might. It's probably a long drive though.